+ Reply to Thread

Thread: antifreeze / sludge and some yellow gunk ???

New Member canadiankid is on a distinguished road canadiankid's Avatar

antifreeze / sludge and some yellow gunk ???

Q#1
    i have a 2001 golf AZG and i noticed the antifreeze level was below the min line. Every now and then (once every two years or so) i need to top it up. So i head to canadiantire and the guy gives me the premixed motomaster brand that says its for all makes and models. However the color of it is yellow and the stuff in my car is pink. does this matter? and will it cause sludge buildup?

Q#2
    why would i be loosing coolant. I don't see any leeks. could it be mixing with the oil? and if so would i notice when i do an oil change?

Q#3
    i was checking the oil the other day and when i took off the oil filler cap to add a little there was a bunch of yellow gunk on the inside of the cap. I have added "lucas oil stabilizer" in the past but i'm not sure the oil stabilizer would cause this yellow gunk.

any help would be awsome... but please don't tell me i need a new head gasket
    "In truth, the ideas and images in men’s minds
    are the invisible powers that constantly govern
    them." (john locke)

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    if antifreeze was mixing with oil, the oil would be milky looking. is it?

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    do not use anything but OEM G12 coolant.

if you aint leaking coolant. you might have a bad headgasket

yellow gunk could just be condensation from doing short trips in the winter
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

New Member canadiankid is on a distinguished road canadiankid's Avatar
    oil isn't milky, it looks normal.

i ended up using the motomaster antifreeze. no problems so far i'll keep an eye on it.

thanks for the help!
    "In truth, the ideas and images in men’s minds
    are the invisible powers that constantly govern
    them." (john locke)

Veteran Member AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog's Avatar
    You need to use a coolant designed for aluminum radiators and add ONLY distilled water, unless you buy the premix.

Veteran Member VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold
    Coolant expends when its hot so its normal to see it close to the minimum line when the vehicle is cold. Next time just add a little bit of distilled water. G12 coolant is recommended.

Junior Member dekker97 is on a distinguished road
    It appears that you are correct with your assumption of cooant mixing with your oil, that would be the cuse of the yelow goop (condensation build up) under the cap. I see this all the time at work. Wjay I wuld reccomend doing next oil change is running a high-mileage oil and wipe your cap. This could solve the problem as its got a slip50 additive (ucas addititve only not bad for your engine) and it will swell up the seals and gaskets. HOWEVER, if the problem persists then it is in fact the head gasket which is deffinatly not cheap.

I have been running the green universal dexcool coolant and havent had any problems with it.
    1997 VW Golf 2.0, 5speed manual. Any and all tips, tricks, and pointers are welcome. Trying to make a nice ride.

Senior Member Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dekker97 View Post
    It appears that you are correct with your assumption of cooant mixing with your oil, that would be the cuse of the yelow goop (condensation build up) under the cap. I see this all the time at work. Wjay I wuld reccomend doing next oil change is running a high-mileage oil and wipe your cap. This could solve the problem as its got a slip50 additive (ucas addititve only not bad for your engine) and it will swell up the seals and gaskets. HOWEVER, if the problem persists then it is in fact the head gasket which is deffinatly not cheap.

I have been running the green universal dexcool coolant and havent had any problems with it.
    Sorry but I don't agree with anything you just said there, not trying to insult you but you sound like a guy that works for Jiffy Lube.

ONLY use OEM coolant in a German vehicle, simple.

Secondly, the Yellow gunk on the top of the cap is exactly what sound wave said, just from short distance driving. Not a cause for concern.
    2005 GLI 1.8T|Foreign Automotive 519-894-9551| http://www.foreignautomotive.ca
    -----------------------------------------------
    Follow on: Facebook

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    my rad crapped out because of green coolant in my audi...and then the headgasket...if it says red put red (or pink whatever) but there is a reason they make the colors so distinguishable!

it will take time for the green coolant to eat through seals and gaskets but trust me it will....first time i learned from my own mistake, second time from the previous owner...
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

Alright, well I trust you guys with the type of coolant, when I bought my car it already had green and I havent had any problems or condensation, but who knows what the future holds. But the undercap build up, I still stand behund what I said. Not saying you guys are wrong, but im saying that this could also be a cause.
    1997 VW Golf 2.0, 5speed manual. Any and all tips, tricks, and pointers are welcome. Trying to make a nice ride.

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar

Lmao I get it. Again deffinatly npt saying to mix coolants, simply stating that I havnt run into problems yet. Mind you, I do have an aftermarket rad. Not stock.

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    dan j reed "kitten killer" picture
    I'm happy to see something from Dan J Reed's site but with all the misinformation here, someone should have posted this from the same site.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan J Reed
    Coolant.

VW uses three types of coolants in its vehicles, based on when it was produced. G11 (blue) was used from about 1990 to mid 1996. G11 is a phosphate free anti-freeze and is blue in color. G12 was used from mid 1996 to 2005 - its pink in color, its also phosphate free and should not be mixed with other coolants. G12+ is purple in color, and well, I don't know that much about it. A lot of early to mid 90's European vehicles use G11 coolant (Saab, Mercedes, Volvo, Etc..). Rumor has it that VW switched to G11 for the Vanagon (head gasket issue) and then pushed the G11 line into all of their vehicles to cover the costs of the Vanagon G11 supply. Before G11 there was "green coolant" that VW used, ( I think it was G10, but I could be wrong, it was still phosphate free..). As a side note, GM's "Dexcool" and its family of coolants share the same basic Organic Acid Technology (OAT) as G12, at least this has been my findings from reading the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) more or less the "ingredients" list.

If you want to switch coolant types, you can. Well, that is a source of debate that I have read about for 15 years now. Basically if you fully flush a system, with lots of water, and do this a few times to remove all the traces of the coolant, you can switch from G11 to say G12, or from G12 to "green" coolant. There is also talk of the G11 coolant was changed to G12 due to yet another head gasket issue with the VR6 engine, and by this time the Vanagon had been phased out in 1991.

Coolants, regardless of type, should be mixed with 50% water and 50% coolant. Meaning, a 1 gal bottle of coolant will really make two when mixed with water.

Its very import to remember - never mix coolants, avoid "universal" coolants. Also use DISTILLED water to mix any coolants! The metals, chlorine, iron, calcium, and scale in household tap water will only weaken the coolants abilities to fight acid. Distilled water can be found at most drug stores and food stores for $1.00 a gallon, a low cost for a job that you may only do a few times on a vehicle as you own it.

If coolant has been mixed, or is brown, or - well you don't know what the hell it is - flush out the system with water. Avoid and type of "system cleaners". These just cause problems. Don't even think of asking for G11, or G12 or G12+ at a place that does not deal often with European cars. They will just stare at you and point to towards the rack of domestic green coolants and say "this works good for me". Buy it at the dealer, or from a place like Germanautoparts.com.
    Some awesome information right there.

you can go g11, g12, g12+ by model year (usually, but there are exceptions)
    and helpful to know the differences between blue, pink, purple or GREEN

and it really doesn't matter about the type of rad because vw's on this side of the pond all use iron blocks with aluminum heads, thus being culprit to pitting and erosion from bimetal corrosion from phosphates in most green or "over the counter" coolants.

but "don't mix coolants" is a misnomer, you CAN mix.... you just have to know what you can mix.... it's chemistry really...

And getting to the "sludge under cap"... this is just condensate emulsified in the oil... nothing to worry about... if you have serious engine troubles.... you'll have a milkshake under your oil cap..... and not just a little.... a LOT (damn.... cant find my pic)

usually if it's a bad headgasket you'll see coolant in the oil, not normally oil in the coolant. the oil pressure system usually has higher pressures than the cooling system on startup and will show up in the coolant reservoir (this happens a LOT in older diesels, also because of dynamic cylinder pressure)

P.S. Stay away from oil additives, just run a better oil. There are a few out there that work, but for the most part. any "brand name" usually sucks and does more harm than good.

Well apparently all I know has been a lie. I believe my car is a time bomb without a clock. So I wont know when its gonna go. Frig.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information