+ Reply to Thread

Thread: basic wear and tear items on 2002 Jetta TDI?

New Member afx is on a distinguished road

basic wear and tear items on 2002 Jetta TDI?

Hi all,

Was wondering if speakers are included in VW's "basic" wear and tear items that are NOT under warranty after 12 months /20K include speakers?

My car is a year and a half old with around 60K and my speakers, simply put.. are BLOWN . its awful. one started to go then they all just blew and now my stereo constantly sounds like a crappy AM radio.

if its not included, any advice on what to do? (getting older speakers, replacing them myself, etc,... not in any position to spend money on a system yet)

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    The speakers aren't included after that amount of time I believe.. you could maybe goto your dealer and argue, but I'm pretty sure they will tell you it's not under warranty Sorry man!

You'll be better getting a nice set of aftermarket speakers. They will be cheaper than stock ones if you have to pay for them anyway!

Veteran Member TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA's Avatar
    If you're local go to Booming Car audio. Talk to Rob. There are a couple fo guys here that have dealt with them and I think their happy!

I know the guys there personally, so I know their good guys!
    I like STUFF

Quote Originally Posted by TurboABA
    If you're local go to Booming Car audio. Talk to Rob. There are a couple fo guys here that have dealt with them and I think their happy!

what he said
    gone for good...

Veteran Member Toronto Vento is infamous around these parts Toronto Vento is infamous around these parts
    Also, it depends on whether or not you have an aftermarket radio in there. If you have kept your factory radio with no mods, you might have a chance, but honestly, I doubt that they will replace the speakers for you. Call up Georgetown VW and talk to them. They might be a little more helpful than your local dealer.
    Diesel - because real cars don't use spark plugs.

Veteran Member Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumTurbo
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboABA

what he said
    Yup, Go see ROB for all your Car Audio/Video Needs

They have some Clarion Speakers (that fit our doors) @ Awsome Pricing.
    The sound out of those things is simply AMAZING.
    Nick | 2001 Golf 1.8T | www.mygolfiv.com | www.gtan.ca | HID Kits | Mechanic Gloves | Need Hosting ? $6/Month IM Me |

thanks for the inputs guys

where exactly is booming car audio?

thanks!

kev

Member Rumbler is on a distinguished road
    Boomin Car Audio
    618 King E
    Kitchener, Ontario
    N2G 2M1
    Canada
    Phone: 519-579-7941

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...2M1&country=CA

Don't know if you're local or not, so if not, 401 West, take Kitchener Exit (Highway 8) until it turns into King St. Ride down King, and you'll soon see the little shop on the right.

kitchener is out of my area (for now) since im fairly busy with work.. but, can anyone give me a rough $$ on how much those clarion speakers that fit the Jetta IV would cost me? This is just a straight replace of those speakers which got damaged (all 8 would be replaced) , no additional subwoofer and amp (yet).

I want to do this in stages. Help me out if you can!

afx

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    weird how all your speakers blew...you sure it's your speakers?
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

pretty sure... i mean, they sometimes come off and on (the sound is all crackly) ,. actually "hitting" the speakers makes the sound fully come through and then it fades back to sounding like crappy AM again...

i dont think it would be the connections...

the "degrading" of my speakers actually began sometime in the winter on a very very cold day as i recall. as i turned up the stereo, it sounded a little funny. from then on it was off and on sounding pretty bad till over the summer, everything just started going..

i will verify this though by checking the speakers soon enough visually ...

what else could it be, its not the deck i dont think

Member Rumbler is on a distinguished road
    I'm no electrician, but it seems highly improbable that all your speakers would go at the same time. From your description, I'm almost sure it is your deck, maybe blew a capacitor or something. Could have been something to do with that cold day.

Quote Originally Posted by afx
    actually "hitting" the speakers makes the sound fully come through and then it fades back to sounding like crappy AM again...
    ...that's really wierd. Definitely need to look into that. Try taking a speaker out and connect it to another amp that you have (some radio or home entertainment unit or something,) and see if it really is the speaker aat fault. Are running the stock deck in your car, or is it aftermarket?

Veteran Member Toronto Vento is infamous around these parts Toronto Vento is infamous around these parts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler
    Definitely need to look into that. Try taking a speaker out and connect it to another amp that you have (some radio or home entertainment unit or something,) and see if it really is the speaker aat fault. Are running the stock deck in your car, or is it aftermarket?
    I agree with this 100%. If you are going to lay down that kind of cash for speakers, then you might as well see if they are really the culprit. Do two things actually. One, try the above suggestion, and see if the speaker works hooked up to something else. Also might want to take say a speaker from a mini-system or something and hook that up. Just to see what happens. If the car speaker sounds okay hooked up to another radio, but a good radio speaker sounds bad in the car, then something is up with the wiring or the deck.

Only other thing I can suggest is to take a look at the wiring in that 'elephant trunk' thing between the body of the car and the door. I don't understand how all speakers would go at the same time, though. It does sound like something might have happened with the deck. But that wouldn't explain why it temporarily fixes itself if you bang the speaker.

Take the speakers out, and test them elsewhere. IF they work...take the car back to the dealer and have them check out the radio. Get them to throw in a Phatbox for your troubles. HA HA HA...okay, that last one is a little far fetched.
    Diesel - because real cars don't use spark plugs.

just wanted to update this

took the car into my VW dealer and told them the problem.. checked it out..

all 4 door speakers are open circuited... and one tweeter in the rear

they replaced them all under warranty... so no problems there.

anyways, i'm still upgrading my sound system anyways sometime soon

thanks for the help and suggestions everyone

kev

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information