+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 FSI vs 2.0 TSI

Member Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet's Avatar

Question 2.0 FSI vs 2.0 TSI

OK, what are the real differences?

I know that TSI is chain-driven, it can also take regular 87 gas without damaging the engine, as oppose to FSI that HAS to take only premium gas..... Anything else?

Planning to get a bit used passat also ( maybe), so in regards to long-term maintenance TSI looks like a better option ( no need to change the timing belt), judging just from what I know so far.

Any suggestions, please?
    Olga Kipkala
    VW New & Pre-Owned Car Sales
    okipkala@volkswagendowntowntoronto.ca
    www.vwtoronto.ca
    ~ If it ain't rubbin then you ain't Vdubin ~

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    TSI does not have the PCV, cam lobe and fuel pump issues

Thats like 90% of the issues people are having on the FSI

Honestly, if i were to get a used 2.0t, Id try to stick to a TSI, unless its VERY WELL maintained
    24v

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    User manual also states you you can run the FSI on regular gas, just recomends 91.

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    yea, regular gas WILL work, but after prolonged use, will cause problems
    24v

Member Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet's Avatar
    OMG is FSI THAT bad?
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

it requires a lot more special attention and maintenance. Not to mention it has more potential problems, especially the cam lobe/fuel pump issue

I had one, had pcv issues
    24v

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    my '06 had cold start issues, only issue I've had with the '07 is it burns oil

cold start issues should be gone by now, its just a ECU fix by the dealer

good call, my FSI burned oil too. they all do, it sucks
    24v

Well.....it will have 2 year warranty....all these essues that the car MIGHT have shoudl be covered, right?
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

So if the maintenance schedule is every 8k km or 6 month ( whichever occurs faster) - is it ENOUGH for the oil life, or not?

EMSbyDAY, isn't your Audi 2.0 FSI?

Thank you for all your help!
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

Yes, both my engines have been FSI. I change my oil (full synthetic) at the dealer every 8k or less and still have to add at least a quart between oil changes.

Junior Member Kinley is on a distinguished road Kinley's Avatar
    I have the FSI, a fuel pump issue was fixed under warranty and mine somehow doesn't burn much oil at all. Oil change at 8K I'm still above the minimum on the stick. Only other issue I've had was a fuel sensor that was screwed up and fixed under warranty.

That being said at the time if I could have gotten the same deal on a TSI I probably would have taken it over the FSI.

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Lower compression as well, I believe.
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
    Well.....it will have 2 year warranty....all these essues that the car MIGHT have shoudl be covered, right?
    maybe

but, a tech will not inspect the level of wear to your cam lobe until its too late (when its punched through and causes massive engine problems)

they will not diagnose PCV until the symptoms are severe

That said, not ALL FSI motors are affected, most problems were fixed with the newer revision parts. Id stay away from 06 FSI motors. stick to late FSI motors
    24v

That's exactly what I'm looking at - 2006 Passat FSI

I wish I'd get the same deal on TSI.....

OMG I don't know what to do
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

Didnt you just get a mk6?
    24v

OK just spoke to my techs....they all said that 2006 VR6 4 Motion will be a way better choice for me.
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

Yeah I got MK6 golf, now I'm looking for a passat for my hubby
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

ah

yeah, I agree.
    4mo
    VR6:

I sold my 07 GTI and got a 03 GTI 24v VR6, couldnt be happier with my decision
    24v

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    What kind of deals do you get by working at VW? I'm looking for a career change and VW sales have always interested me
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

do it Ric!
    24v

Deals? The same deals I can get for any refferal friends or customers
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ah

yeah, I agree.
    4mo
    VR6:

I sold my 07 GTI and got a 03 GTI 24v VR6, couldnt be happier with my decision
    I disagree with that Luke....unless you took cost and savings into equation.

if you look at the money factor, yes, you are correct

if you look at reliability, stress, headaches, etc...its iffy
    24v

I can get 2006 3.6L VR6 4 Motion with 76k km for the same price as 2006 2.0 FSI with 81k km.....

Price difference MIGHT be like $ 1-1,5k.

So besides the $ factor.....VR6 all the way?

p.s. You guys told me that 2.0 FSI eats lots oil......well 3.6 VR6 is also FSI....will it eat oil as well?

What are the disadvantages of 3.6 vs 2.0 FSI?

Thank you!
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
    I can get 2006 3.6L VR6 4 Motion with 76k km for the same price as 2006 2.0 FSI with 81k km.....

Price difference MIGHT be like $ 1-1,5k.

So besides the $ factor.....VR6 all the way?

p.s. You guys told me that 2.0 FSI eats lots oil......well 3.6 VR6 is also FSI....will it eat oil as well?

What are the disadvantages of 3.6 vs 2.0 FSI?

Thank you!
    OH GOD YEAH....not only do u have the top of the line passat....but a 4motion and a car that rides sweet and does 100mph in the quarter mile!

So the reliability is way better on 3.6L 4 motion?

How is the real fuel consumption of this sexy beast?
    I can read it on the paper, but any real life expirience? plz plz plz ?
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

Sponsor

vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302's Avatar
    I drove a 2007 VR6 4Motion for a while and driving it hard I could still average about 10-11L per 100km
    Mike Benford
    Sales and Leasing Professional
    www.brantfordvw.com
    2010 GTI 2dr DBP

for herself, but I believe a 4motion as well in her family or something.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information