+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VW MK4 Cluster Illumination not functioning?

Veteran Member vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento's Avatar

VW MK4 Cluster Illumination not functioning?

Has anyone had this happen before? It was working at one point, and now I turn on the lights, it seems that now it doesn't turn on. All of the dummy / warning lights come on, but backlights don't seem to work.

Everything works as it's supposed, but in the dark, all I see is the vents and buttons lit up but I couldn't tell you the mileage on the odometer if my life depended on it!

Any ideas?
    Mk3 Jetta 20V | B5.5 Passat TDI 5MT | OEM+ | chopshop |
    moar.

Veteran Member vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento's Avatar
    Checked all fuses, believe me, that was the first place I looked. Haven't been able to find anything on Vortex on the issue, so I figured I would bring it up with the Mk4 folk here, see if anyone has any suggestions... I really don't want to have to get a new cluster, cause I can't justify getting a plain ole cluster.

For those that think i'm talking about a Mk3, it's for a Mk4-ish... well all of the wiring is.
    moar.

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    hmm.. I have never heard of *just* the lights going out in the cluster without the fuse actually dropping, but that would drop all your dash lights.... actually.. maybe a relay??? You know. .actually, mine did go out once when I forgot to unplug my hitch and backed my seadoo into a lake, I just can't remember if it was a fuse or a relay.

I just don't understand what "relay" would cause this to happen. As well, now when I put my ebrake up when the lights aren't turned on, the DRL's would in-turn, go off. Mine don't listen. They stay on. This happened in unison to the illumination issue. I'm guessing this has some relevance to each other but it's difficult to really test. I have a feeling it has to do with my Euro Switch, but I could be wrong, but I will test with another light switch I have laying around.
    moar.

Member The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid has a spectacular aura about The Weide Motors Kid's Avatar
    We have customers come/call in with a complaint like this every now and then, I don't mean to insult you but is the dimmer switch on full? 9 times out of 10 that's the problem. Some Mk4 dimmers seem to "fall" over time.

PS: rear harnesses are out

I have 4 dimmer switches, and have changed out all of them. Unfortunately I'm not THAT dumb.
    moar.

Senior Member xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx's Avatar
    not to say you haven't checked all fuses, BUT there are more fuses above the fuse box...if you drop it down theres some more up there that arne't visible....one of them was my problem when it came to my cig lighter not working anymore - i don't smoke, but i wanted to charge stuff in my car... took forever to figure that out especially since everyone said there was only one fuse to control that thing...
    1998 VW Golf 2.0T ( R.I.P. )
    Dubbin, It's a Life Style

Above my fusebox, there is no additional fuses. I have the entire Mk4 wiring including fusebox in the car. Believe me, I've checked.

Thanks tho.
    moar.

Veteran Member euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of euro.lo has much to be proud of
    that's messed man. That's the only problem I had at one point, but the fuse fixed my problems.... Hopefully u get it worked out soon. This swap has been nothing but a pain, hopefully it turns out for u soon!

That's the only thing really preventing my from driving at night... cause it's kinda crucial to see what my car is doing lol

I'll try getting another cluster, its not like as if mileage matters, I can change that
    moar.

Veteran Member MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6's Avatar

Problem solved, and you will be safer if you crash.
    2000 GTI VR6
    | My Twitter

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    Where did that cluster come from Jamal? Maybe I can pull up some wiring diagrams to help you out.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

I believe it's from a 2002 Jetta, but I could be wrong, all I know is that it's an IMMO-2 cluster. Hopefully that helps, but I can retrieve the part number if necessary.
    moar.

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    Nah, that's enough, let me see what I can find.
    RICE IS:

Awesome thanks Luis!
    moar.

Have a look at this pdf.

Plug T32 pin 20 on the diagram is for the digital display illumination, like that you'll be able to see if it's the cluster or the wiring to the cluster.
    Sorry I couldn't find a wiring diagram for the interior illumination.
    Attached Files
    RICE IS:

Awesome thanks Luis, I'll try this out this evening and see how it works out for me, and I'll report back my findings!
    moar.

No problem man
    RICE IS:

Member JackkFrostt will become famous soon enough JackkFrostt will become famous soon enough JackkFrostt's Avatar
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MikeVR6 View Post

Problem solved, and you will be safer if you crash.
    {2003 VW Golf TDi - 5sp - 4dr}
    {1992 VW Golf - VR Swapping}
    {1985 VW Golf GTi - RIP }
    {1993 VW Passat GLX - RIP }

Veteran Member CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow's Avatar
    Well, If you previously had to cut wires and re-join that powers the illuminiation in the cluster, maybe there is a short somewhere? Cold solder? who knows...

Get a diagram... Follow the wires going from the cluster and test them for conductivity from connector to connector. Test the ones that are feasible I.e. powers and grounds. Not Navigation, radio, etc....

good luck grass hopper
    B6 A4 1.8TQ - DD

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    thread?
    from September?

wait... wait...

ahh.. there we go.... muchbetter

Veteran Member CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow's Avatar
    bahahahahaha

you just love posting that picture
    B6 A4 1.8TQ - DD

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    yes sir
    I do
    give me +rep bitches

Senior Member Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough
    HAHAH
    2001 Jetta 2.slow

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BellCityDubber View Post
    yes sir
    I do
    give me +rep bitches
    Asking for +reps automatically = minus reps. Just ask Tom
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

I aint askin'...
    I'm tellin'.....

see.. I was at 3... now I'm at 4.....
    easy peasy...

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    wut
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

postwhoring sonofabitches

I'm going back to work

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information