+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interior make-over

Member amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w's Avatar

Interior make-over

So, as per my sad day thread in the first forum, my dad wrote off his TDI when he hit a deer. He bought it for $150, and is giving the parts (whatever we want) to my brother and I for out Golf and Jetta. All cars are MK4's, so we should have a nice little parts car on our hands.

Here's my question. I have a tan leather interior, but it's the garbage leather that is really stiff. The owner before had kids, so it's not the greatest condition either. is it crazy for me to want to swap interiors (carpets and everything) from my dad's car? if not, how would I go about doing it? Seats and such I know I can do, as well as the door cards, just curious about the carpets.

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    You can swap everything out. And no, it's not a crazy idea. With some tools and a Bentley I'm sure you can get it all done in 2 days or so.

Good Luck!
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Member amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w is a jewel in the rough amos0w's Avatar
    Well that's encouraging. Any pointers?

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Get a Bentley Manual, or someone that has done it before.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    its fairly straight forward. just be gentle with everything plastic. i would think it to be easier to shampoo the existing carpets then to try and get them out from under the dash and swap. take out all the interior then shampoo. i did this all in one day...i swapped in a complete "Wolfsburg" interior to my jetta
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

I'm gonna go tan to black

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    aren't the carpets still black though?

if not.. ya the carpets will be the hardest part. I think they are even glued down, so you might not get it all up in one shot.

The seats, door cards and roof is easy though.

150 bux.. can't go wrong with that.

no, whole thing is tan except for top half of the door cards and top half of the dash.

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    well if you are pulling the dash then the carpets should not be to hard to get out....i would start with the one i am replacing first so as to know any tricky spots and not harm the new interior you are installing
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Veteran Member Duncan is infamous around these parts Duncan is infamous around these parts Duncan's Avatar
    If you're a patient person, I'd say take it on.

If you're rammy and impatient, you're going to break things
    Quote Originally Posted by Lava_A3 View Post
    meh, i rather save the gas over the few times i really could use the quattro

Senior Member jsKo has a spectacular aura about jsKo has a spectacular aura about jsKo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    If you're a patient person, I'd say take it on.

If you're rammy and impatient, you're going to break things

words of wisdom.

ask me how I know haha

I have lots of patience.. I just have no sympathy for parts which are not co-operating

All in all it should be fairly simple, don't need to be very automotive savvy to do this, just remember what you took off and where it goes

Veteran Member MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6 has much to be proud of MikeVR6's Avatar
    Def take the old one off first, as stated you will know how it comes up and you will be a lot better the first time.

That being said the only time Ive taken a carpet out of a car was ABAGTI's carpet and we used box cutters and putty knives and hacked it out, but that was for a different reason.
    2000 GTI VR6
    | My Twitter

Senior Member ABAGTI is a splendid one to behold ABAGTI is a splendid one to behold ABAGTI is a splendid one to behold ABAGTI is a splendid one to behold ABAGTI is a splendid one to behold ABAGTI is a splendid one to behold ABAGTI is a splendid one to behold ABAGTI's Avatar
    my carpet was crap anyways, was fast a dirty.... i agree with everyone else, easier to put in if you know how it came out
    1997 GTI 2.slow

Veteran Member vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento's Avatar
    I've taken apart the whole of my interior in my Mk3 and I've done almost the same with a Mk4, it's easy, just be patient and take your time!
    Mk3 Jetta 20V | B5.5 Passat TDI 5MT | OEM+ | chopshop |
    moar.

Veteran Member Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78's Avatar
    iam in the same boat as you...on my daily i also have a beige interior... so in decided anythimg that gets dirty i swapped it out for black.... so i swapped the seats, arm rest, door cards, speaker grills, shift knob/ boot, and hand brake all to black.... i didnt totally swap to black as i went with a two tone look.... ill take some pics... but it looks hot.

Veteran Member vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento's Avatar
    I'm interested to see this too!
    moar.

that'd be great. it's true, it gets dirty way to fast and is so hard to keep constantly clean.

Veteran Member Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78's Avatar
    ill take pics this weekend...my fiance has the camera...

Veteran Member justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future
    Quote Originally Posted by Kei78 View Post
    iam in the same boat as you...on my daily i also have a beige interior... so in decided anythimg that gets dirty i swapped it out for black.... so i swapped the seats, arm rest, door cards, speaker grills, shift knob/ boot, and hand brake all to black.... i didnt totally swap to black as i went with a two tone look.... ill take some pics... but it looks hot.
    Looks hot alright!...sat in it and it feels like a lazy boy...I could recline and relax in Jays car. The look gives the car some extra class!....def. do it and take your time doing it so you don't break anything.
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 Unitronic Dealer

ok, here is some pics of my daily...

from the drivers side...

from the passengers side...

from the rear seat...

My main goal was to keep it understated yet personalized. My main play toy went crazy, so iam trying to do the exact opposite with this car...

You cant see it in the pics, but the door cubby holes i replaced the biege lining with black as well...oh and also the rear shelf is also black. Over all, VW set the tone for the two tone interior splitting the dash and door cards half biege/black...

What concerned me most was the drivers side, so getting the leather steering wheel, leather hand brake, GTI shift knob and pedal set were important to me since ill be interacting with it daily... so youll notice anything that i touch is black to keep the dirt away, but i still kept the biege to give it a good contrast...

Maybe some WOB seats to set it off, then that's it, other than that, it looks really good!
    moar.

ya, i was honeslty debating the seats, but since i already went over board on my other toy, i didnt want this car to get to that point so i held back...

Member Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet's Avatar
    Same question here.

The whole car is Tan interior ( seats and doors).
    I know I can switch tan leather seats into black leather seats, but how about the door panels?
    And does it worth it at all? If yes, do you guys know any good places and how much will it cost?

Thanks!
    Olga Kipkala
    VW New & Pre-Owned Car Sales
    okipkala@volkswagendowntowntoronto.ca
    www.vwtoronto.ca
    ~ If it ain't rubbin then you ain't Vdubin ~

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    Everything should fit fine, if you have a 2 door Golf though you will need door cards.

I'd just goto the wreckers and find it. mk4 stuff is pretty easily aval now. MK4's are the new MK3's.

Member Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet has much to be proud of Bastet's Avatar
    No it's not for my golf....it would be for 2006 passat.
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

Senior Member TurboDub has a spectacular aura about TurboDub has a spectacular aura about TurboDub has a spectacular aura about TurboDub's Avatar
    I reckon The Source should carry interior parts for a Passat. Once you get the parts, they're fairly straightforward to swap as it's not rocket science to take them off. I would say the trickiest part would be the front dash panels. Even then, everything is either screwed on or clipped on (almost all pillars trims, roof trims, are clipped on; door trims, oh-sh!t handles are screwed on, etc.) and it's a matter of unscrewing or pulling things out.

One word of advice from my experience is: be careful with trims that are clipped on as it's pretty easy to break the clips if you force them in a wrong way.
    2002 VW Jetta 1.8T

Laughter is the best medicine, but if you have inside jokes with yourself, you've gone too far.

Thank you!
    Olga Kipkala
    www.vwtoronto.ca

I know this thread is old, but since i posted pics almost two years ago in this thread...i decided to update... Back in 2009 i said i wasnt going to go any farther on my interior... i guess i lied...

I should note, the only issue i have come to realize after swapping the seats is my center arm rest rubs against the two front seat bolsters slightly, so it squeeks when i go over bumps, so ill most likely be doing an arm rest delete with a black piece to give her some more contrast in the middle.

Also, my new baby carrier (snug ride 32) is massive lol. I never bothered to check how big this rear facing baby seat is, but when installed it pretty much just touches the front seats as they are positioned right now (which is fine for me and my wife) But if someone taller needed to come in, I wont be letting them adjust seats back any further cuz i dont want the front seats touching the baby seat. I figure i can live like this for a year until he grows a bit and i can put him in a front facing child seat, then i wont have this issue any more. I didnt have these issues with my old seats, i guess its the price you have to pay to have large bolsters!
    Last edited by Kei78; 01-22-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Veteran Member Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber's Avatar
    mmm. want those seats.
    bankrupt.
    SymproCNC.com im for all your machining needs (spacers, center cap spikes etc)

Senior Member chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix is a splendid one to behold chipsofsix's Avatar
    soooooooooooooooooooooo Nice!
    08 A4 S-Line 2.0T Quattro 6 Speed
    F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W
    loading HATERS.....99% ████████████████]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information