+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rail dust rant

Senior Member ninelives is a name known to all ninelives is a name known to all ninelives is a name known to all ninelives is a name known to all ninelives is a name known to all ninelives is a name known to all ninelives's Avatar

Rail dust rant

GRRR - so I went to wash my car now that we've actually got some warm enough weather, only to discover rust specks ALL OVER my less than 6 mo old car!

I'm pretty cranky because this is something that should have been dealt with prior to delivery and now I either have to fix it myself or potentially battle it out with VW to have them do it. I have done some reading and clay bar sounds like the solution........

I have an appt tomorrow to have it looked at and photographed, we'll see how this goes.

I've never used a clay bar and understand that it could be potentially damaging to the paint if not used properly, so I'm relectant to do it. Not to mention, I don't have a heated garage or suitable place to do it right now......

Thanks for letting me vent.. that is all!

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Claybaring is not that difficult. It takes a long time though and personally I think VW should take care of your issue anyways. But as you mentioned they are a PITA to deal with
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

6 months old with rust WTF!!! did you oil spray your car? stone chips?
    04 .:R32 DBP Daily
    98 GTI VR6 (will be missed)
    97 Jetta GT (SOLD) 94 GTI 2.slo (RI
    90 Audi CQ (SOLD)
    84 Jetta Turbo Diesel (SOLD)

Senior Member ninelives is a name known to all ninelives is a name known to all ninelives is a name known to all ninelives is a name known to all ninelives is a name known to all ninelives is a name known to all ninelives's Avatar
    No, I did not oil spray it and there's no way that it's stone chips.. the spots are EVERYWHERE, including on plastic painted trim pieces.

Rail dust from my understanding is basically iron particles kicked up while being transported by train that are very hot when they land on the car and kind of embed themselves on the clearcoat/paint. They are not really evident at first, but eventually once moisture and oxygen get to them.. you get rust on the surface of the paint.

It appears to be quite common and something that SHOULD be resolved by the pre-delivery detailing... which obviously was not done for my car!!!

It's most obvious on white cars because of the contrast of the orange on white..

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    You can get this from iron filings from things on the road, like brake dust from other cars (mostly trucks), or like you said, trains on delivery.

You will have to for sure claybar the car, or buff it properly. Next year through a coat of wax on it.

ALL cars have this, it's just noticable on light cars, esp. white. But if it's major, then it's probably a dealership issue.

Veteran Member wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg is a name known to all wolfsburg's Avatar
    you would think they better protect cars when transporting via Rail. I hope your dealer will take a look and see what they can do rather than just to shrug you off.
    Strudel Boy

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    I get this on my car all the time. Drives me nuts when I give the car its first good handwash in the spring. Be prepared to sit on your kiester for a few hours claybarring.

I had something similar on my also white MK3, but it would come off easily with a pre-wax cleaner.. this stuff does not. That's what leads me to believe it's from rail dust, it's more deeply seated in the paint and also EVERYWHERE....

Going tonight to have it looked at, I'll post back with how they decide to handle it!

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    Seen it many times definitely can be corrected. Clay bar is the best way for correction but it will take some time depending on the grade of clay. can be done yourself, depending on ability and tooling and material. Most likely a job better left to someone else but your also looking at about a 400-500 job

Wash-Clay-Wash-Polish-Sealer/Glaze-Wax/Sealant
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Senior Member Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough Massecar is a jewel in the rough
    wow..that sucks. GVW not being nice to you? I know some people there in the service dept.

So, I had a chat with the service manager who indicated that it was likely "industrial fallout" aka airbourne particles that are kicked up on the roads or just from living near to industrial areas. He wasn't being an a$$hole and obviously I have no way to prove that it's rail dust, so I left it at that. I do live near an industrial area (who doesn't in Guelph) and bought the car from the dirty hammer VW so he may be right.

He offered to have someone demonstrate how to use certain products come spring, so that I'm able to remove it myself. We'll see if that actually happens!

He seemed to be treating me fairly on the whole.

Oh well - I just won't wash my car anymore until spring.. LOL

Sponsor

vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302's Avatar
    Without seeing it I would also say it's most likely Rail Dust. We had a few cars with the same issue and like you said(should have happened), our detailer took care of it before we even sold the car.
    Mike Benford
    Sales and Leasing Professional
    www.brantfordvw.com
    2010 GTI 2dr DBP

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    I'd take pix and call VWoC, considering how many VW's you and your family have owned, they should be taking care of you better then this IMO.

Okay, next chance I can I will wash it and take photos and see if I can get anywhere with that. Thanks

Senior Member VR6aholic is a splendid one to behold VR6aholic is a splendid one to behold VR6aholic is a splendid one to behold VR6aholic is a splendid one to behold VR6aholic is a splendid one to behold VR6aholic is a splendid one to behold VR6aholic is a splendid one to behold VR6aholic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    Okay, next chance I can I will wash it and take photos and see if I can get anywhere with that. Thanks
    If you're still in Guelph you are welcome to show me some pics or meet up. I can help with this no problem. I've seen it on cars honestly the day the landed at dealerships all over the place. Once had a pdi on a grand am in alberta that was orange. Really it was white with a ton of fallout on it. Clay is the best way to go, with some glass cleaner and then someone who knows how to polish properly. Time consuming but there are much more miserable jobs to do out there. Let me know if you need a hand or help in anyway

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information