+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VW Waterloo?Mod Friendly?

Senior Member Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33's Avatar

VW Waterloo?Mod Friendly?

So from the looks of it if everything goes as planned I should be purchasing a MKV GTI from Waterloo VW in the beginning of spring. Now my question is how mod friendly are they if at all, for example if I get an intake will the void my warranty etc etc.

I know in the US they have a law that protects them from dealers voiding warranties on mods, by making the dealer have to prove the part caused the damage but I dont think we have that here in Canada so I am just wondering how you guys think it works here when it comes to that, and if you have any experience with Waterloo VW for servicing under warranty etc with mods.

I am very biased towards Waterloo dealer because I have only had great experiences with them while I have had people lie to me, over charge me etc etc at Crosby so I want to take my business to Waterloo and would like to have my new car serviced there.
    2005 GLI 1.8T|Foreign Automotive 519-894-9551| http://www.foreignautomotive.ca
    -----------------------------------------------
    Follow on: Facebook

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    I hate to say it, but regardless of what the dealership tells you (or the sales person), I've never been to a "mod friendly" dealership.

I've heard many many horror stories, even from dealerships that chip cars saying they will cover warranty.

When a transmission breaks because of a "chip delivering too much power", dealerships will generally do anything not to cover this kind of mod under warranty. There is a guy on this board who has a DSG who got chipped at the dealership and wouldn't cover his tranny replacement after it blew up! I won't say who..

That being said, if they say they are "mod friendly", I would specifically get what "mod friendly" means in witting, and how it affects your warranty.

Senior Member Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33 is a splendid one to behold Dejan33's Avatar
    Well what about an APR chip from what I have read they can be fully undetectable if you switch it back to stock software, if worst case scenario I blow a tranny couldn't I switch to the stock software and then take the car to VW?

...Just brainstorming on the idea as if I got one I would do intake+turbo back exhaust and chip, I probably wouldnt go that much further with the mods but if I blow an engine I dont want to have to flop out 7 grand to get a new one because I had a chip installed.

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    I hear ya.

I can't speak for VW Waterloo so I don't really know.

Call and ask them, and let us know what you find otu

Quote Originally Posted by footose View Post
    I hear ya.

I can't speak for VW Waterloo so I don't really know.

Call and ask them, and let us know what you find otu
    I guess I may have to, but ill go in person tomorrow talk to my salesman and then the service manager and see what they tell me.

Yah, and if they say something that sounds "fishy" ask them for it in Writting when you purchase the car.

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejan33 View Post
    Well what about an APR chip from what I have read they can be fully undetectable if you switch it back to stock software

That backfired on a friend of mine. Vw had a software update for this car, and when they tried to upload it, it would ask for a password, but I don't think the dealer voided the warranty, might be a different story if he tried to get a turbo or something replaced.
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

Sponsor

vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302's Avatar

Brantford VW is MOD friendly

Although it is a grey area, we are as MOD friendly as we can be.
    Mike Benford
    Sales and Leasing Professional
    www.brantfordvw.com
    2010 GTI 2dr DBP

Stick with your original plan. Chip it, if something blows up, have a spare ECU on hand to swap in.

The problem really is that it is up to the dealers descretion. If you have an exhaust and you blow a turbo, they can probably void your warranty if they wanted too and there isnt' much you can do about it since you modded the car.

I had a blown tranny at 5000km's on my GTI and I had chip / exhaust / bov / fmic and Cambridge VW replaced it free of charge.

I had a blown turbo on my 1.8T Golf which all it had was rims on it and an intake (not even lowered). No chip, nothing, and Crosby Volkswagen denied covering warranty on it and that was at ~50,000km's.

Pretty much luck of the draw.

If you're looking to MOD, then I would consider your warranty (powertrain anyway) out the window.

Sponsor

vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302 is a glorious beacon of light vw1302's Avatar
    I disagree Harry... you're not throwing your warranty out the window. Shit, We're a REVO dealer. It is at the end of the day up to the dealer. If you're doing stuff like BIG turbo and those kind of serious mods, yeah kiss your warranty bye bye. tame stuff like chips and intakes and exhaust... No big deal.
    Mike Benford
    www.brantfordvw.com
    2010 GTI 2dr DBP

Sponsor

It really comes down to whether or not the part caused the problem or would the problem have occured anyway.
    Mike Benford
    www.brantfordvw.com
    2010 GTI 2dr DBP

Well here is an example:

Georgetown VW is a APR dealer.

A member bought the car there, and then they chipped it . DSG 2.0T's, and his DSG transmission blew up at ~5000km's. They blamed the chip, and he had to shell out 7 grand of his own money to replace the tranny.

Are you willing to say that you'll honour a DSG transmission's powertrain warranty if you chip the car, and that is the only mod? How will you be able to determine which "part" of the transmission failed because of too much power, or failing because of a defect? It's just too much of a grey area in my opinion.

All I've learned is that.. .if you mod your new car, your warranty is technically void. It's up to the dealer you goto if they want to replace something or not. Do you want to risk your warranty based on the relationship with your dealer? I had a T3/T4 on my GTi at 20,000km's. I still got regular warranty stuff like Window Regulators and all that jazz, but clutches and transmissions were my own problem, but that was my own choice.

Anyway..sounds like Brantford VW is fairly "mod friendly" ... So if Waterloo isn't, and you don't mind hitting up Brantford, I would go talk to Mike .. Plus he'll buy back your car at the end and screw me out of an R32.... haha kidding, inside joke.

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    ^^^^ Agreed! It's very easy to say "we're mod friendly" until the help ticket comes back declined because the guy on the other side was able to see the 3" downpipe from the pics he was sent... mean while ALL DSG diesel clutch assemblies are shit and fall apart breaking the bell housing.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by footose View Post
    Well here is an example:

Georgetown VW is a APR dealer.

A member bought the car there, and then they chipped it . DSG 2.0T's, and his DSG transmission blew up at ~5000km's. They blamed the chip, and he had to shell out 7 grand of his own money to replace the tranny.

Are you willing to say that you'll honour a DSG transmission's powertrain warranty if you chip the car, and that is the only mod? How will you be able to determine which "part" of the transmission failed because of too much power, or failing because of a defect? It's just too much of a grey area in my opinion.

All I've learned is that.. .if you mod your new car, your warranty is technically void. It's up to the dealer you goto if they want to replace something or not. Do you want to risk your warranty based on the relationship with your dealer? I had a T3/T4 on my GTi at 20,000km's. I still got regular warranty stuff like Window Regulators and all that jazz, but clutches and transmissions were my own problem, but that was my own choice.

Anyway..sounds like Brantford VW is fairly "mod friendly" ... So if Waterloo isn't, and you don't mind hitting up Brantford, I would go talk to Mike .. Plus he'll buy back your car at the end and screw me out of an R32.... haha kidding, inside joke.
    You're too funny Harry!! I'm sure you were given every opportunity to buy the R32. We'll get you one when you're ready and when the CDN dollar recovers. Or maybe you want a MK6 GTi or GTi-R or whatever they are gonna call it.
    Mike Benford
    www.brantfordvw.com
    2010 GTI 2dr DBP

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    I had my entire tiptronic tranny replaced at 73,000kms and I had a chip, intake, full exhaust, lowered etc. Thank god, as I only had 7000 kms left on the warranty and didnt have the 5500 to fix it if it came out of pocket. This was Cedarbrae RIP VW.

I think the person who did the APR DSG at Georgetown VW abused the car, possibly multiple hard launches with LC n stuff......they would have inspected the tranny to see what was wrong and if clear signs of abuse was seen plus in case he/she was observed taking it to a track...I am not at all suprised to see why it wasn't fixed under warranty.

Dealers can be really dicks sometimes but then again sometimes its us customers who push the envelope.

Senior Member dub2.0 is infamous around these parts dub2.0 is infamous around these parts dub2.0's Avatar
    LEavens VW in London is also an APR dealer and they have said chipping won't effect the warranty. The issue is that tranny's are not something they can call - as mentioned above, the ultimate call is VWoC's.... and we all know how they are....

i think the only mod friendly thing you can do to your car is lower it

that wont affect the warr of the car at all

it will however make it quite a bit tougher to drive
    as i have discovered lol

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    ^^^^ It can be argued when there's a suspension noise complain that it's because of the lowered suspension... if warranty doesn't want to pay they'll find an excuse for anything.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Junior Member tybrad is on a distinguished road tybrad's Avatar
    It depends who you're talking to at VW Wloo. The service manager is useless, and the computers dont really know whether or not a car is tuned. The only issue i can think of is, when you bring your car in and there's a recall for a reflash, you will lose your tune, so either you can tell them not to flash it, or talk to your tuning company and see what they do in a situation like that. We get a lot of tuned GTI's in here with CAI's and the whole bit (I work at waterloo)
    2000 Jetta, 5spd 1.9L TDI, 228 000k
    Spax RSX Coilover Suspension, E-codes
    Ventectomy, PP764's, VNT 17, Race Pipe Boost Gauge/Dawes VR6 clutch/G60flywheel, some other crap
    Stage 3+ tuned by Rocketchip

New Member vwdave is on a distinguished road
    I found that Guelph VW is MOD Friendly. I had to problems getting work done. I have had no problems with them at all they have helped me out with so many things over the years. Tom in parts is the man you need anything he will track it down for you

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information