+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VW Scheduled Service for 2004 jetta TDI Timing Belt

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar

VW Scheduled Service for 2004 jetta TDI Timing Belt

Does anyone have any info about VW scheduled service for 2004 Jetta TDI's? specifically timing belt?

Owners manual says at 160K and the girl says it is NOW at 128K... I am sure the owners manual is right.

Comments?

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    Timing Belt Inspection and Replacement - The TDI engine uses a toothed belt to drive the camshaft. The choice of a belt rather than a chain was made for noise considerations. A Diesel engine is normally louder at idle than a gasoline engine. A direct injection Diesel is louder yet due to the lack of a pre-chamber that tends to suppress some noise. Minimizing noise sources was a high priority and a belt drive for the camshaft is much quieter than a chain drive. All rubber belts will fail eventually, as will chains. Chains, prior to their failing, become more noisy, looser, and in general give warning to their deterioration. Belts remain nearly silent and tight right up to their sudden failure. When the camshaft drive belt breaks, the camshaft stops turning and the valves stop moving. The valves that are open stay open. The pistons continue moving up and down as the engine coasts to a stop. It is almost a certainty that a high compression engine, like a Diesel, will have the pistons travel in a stroke that overlaps the stroke of the valves as they move open and close. The camshaft normally controls the opening and closing of the valves to occur only when the piston is clear. If the valves are open and do not move closed when the piston reaches the top of its stroke, the piston will strike the valve and damage the valve and the piston. The repair cost of this damage is often several thousand dollars. Although timing belt replacement is not an inexpensive operation, replacing the belt long before its likely failure is inexpensive in comparison to the cost of a failure. The replacement interval varies depending upon model but is generally 96,000 km for manual transmission models for the 2001 and prior model years, and 64,000 km for automatic transmission modeis for the 2001 and prior model years, and 128,000 km for 2002 model year regardless of transmission. The 2002 model has an updated belt and tensioner design which may be retrofitted to A4-chassis models of prior years to take advantage of the extended change interval provided that both the belt and tensioner are replaced. The extended-life belt and tensioner cannot be fitted to the older A3 or B4 engines because the belt is a different length and will not fit.

The timing belt should be inspected at every oil change interval for evidence of any abnormal wear conditions. This is easily done by unclipping and removing the upper timing belt cover and performing a visual inspection. If any of the following conditions are noted, the belt and tensioner must be replaced immediately without driving the vehicle any further:
    - More than 1 or 2 mm gap between either edge of the belt and the base of the flange on the front and rear of the tensioner roller - indicating that the belt is mis-tracking and is wearing at the edges.
    - Excessive wear on any of the edges of the belt, indicating mis-tracking.
    - Evidence of cracks on the outer surface of the belt, indicating that the rubber material is deteriorating.
    - Evidence of oil, fuel, or other fluids on the belt. These cause deterioration of the belt materials.
    - Excessive wear on the teeth of the belt.
    - If the belt has been on the vehicle for in excess of the time or mileage specified in the owner's manual, the belt and tensioner must be replaced with new components regardless of the result of any visual inspection.

For A3 and B4 vehicles, instructions for performing a timing belt change can be found here: http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/A3-TimingBelt

For A4-chassis vehicles, instructions for performing a timing belt change can be found here: http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf (PDF version)

stolen from tdiclub

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    I'd like to see blake chime in on this... as he's more of a TDI expert than I am.

Junior Member RichDiesel is on a distinguished road RichDiesel's Avatar
    Maybe if VW has noticed that there has been a big problem with belts breaking well before the 160K mark, then they might suggest changing them at 128k. I would have asked the girl what the reason was for the 128k requirement?

I'll say, that I am a regular over on TDiClub, and this is the first time that I have heard of this being recommended. So it makes me wonder if this might just be a stealership trying to get some $$ out of you abit earlier. Perhaps call and ask a different dealer...or wait to see what Sootbomb has to say about this.
    Ventectomy, AlienTech, Sprint 520's, VR6 Clutch & Flywheel, Evo Skid Plate, Tech 9 Tune, Scangauge II, Sirius Satellite Radio, BORA TDI Badge, Zerostart Coolant Heater, 290,000kms.... and counting

better to be safe then sorry. I change my timing belt at every 100,000 km.

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    is it worth waiting ...i think not. i am one to rather spend the $500 on preventive maint rather then $2500 on fixing a problem when it comes to the timing belt.
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

$500? How is that? Its about $400 just for the parts, assuming you'd change everything, and why not? If you want to be preventative might as well change the water pump and the tensioners as well. Whats the point of having a brand new belt when the tensioners, or something else related, could go?
    Ventectomy, AlienTech, Sprint 520's, VR6 Clutch & Flywheel, Evo Skid Plate, Tech 9 Tune, Scangauge II, Sirius Satellite Radio, BORA TDI Badge, Zerostart Coolant Heater, 290,000kms.... and counting

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    ^^^ Are you buying your parts at the dealership? I had my waterpump, timing belt all done for $500. You just have to know the right people.

Might want to contact Sootbomb and have him do it for you at his place.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    sootbomb did my timing belt and water pump (maybe tensioners) for 500 bucks with parts from the dealership!

* 038 121 011 A, Water Pump, with metal impeller
    * VWN 905 969 02, Bolt, M10 x 55 mm Grade 8.8, for Large Idler pulley near Water Pump
    * 038 109 244 M, Idler Pulley, Large, INA
    * 038 109 244 E, Idler Pulley, Lower Small, INA
    * 058 109 244, Idler Pulley, Upper Small, INA
    * VWN 011 558 11 Washer, M8, includes 6
    * VWN 900 744 01, Lock Nut, M8, includes 2
    * VWN 019 531 3, Bolt, M8 x 40 mm Grade 8.8
    * MNM8SHORT, A4 Harmonic Balancer Bolts M8 x 35 mm Grade 12.9, set of four bolts
    * 038 109 119M, Timing Belt, Gates or Continental, longer life version 160,000k
    * 038 109 243N, Tensioner, Litens 979592
    * 038 145 345, Vacuum Pump Seal, RTS, oem
    * 038 103 085C, Camshaft Seal, directional, PTFE ( TeflonŽ ), 47 x 32 x 10 used on later ALH engines or
    * 068 103 085E, Camshaft Seal, bi-directional, DPH brand, 47 x 32 x 10 for early ALH engines
    * VWN 903 285 04, Injector Pump Bolt, M8 x 16 mm Grade 8.8, includes 3
    * VWN 102 096 03, Engine Mount Bolt, M12-1.5 x 65 mm Grade 10.9, includes 2
    * VWN 105 167 01, Engine Mount Bolt, M10 x 55 mm Grade 10.9, includes 2

If I recall correctly, that list of parts was about $350ish. Plus $200..ish for the install from a cert VW tech at his house. So, I'm not far off what you guys had said. For some reason I remembered it being more.

I also realize that we are talking about a an MK4 vs MK5.

I think changing it every 100k is abit overboard (unless its an 2001 where the belt is only good for 98k), but to each his own.

I think you hang out to much at TDIclub. $600 installed including labor and all parts, tensioner and water pump with metal propeller is a pretty average price.

100,000 is pretty good number, I seen some cars with sized waterpumps at 130,000 km.

Quote Originally Posted by 16vtmk1 View Post
    I think you hang out to much at TDIclub.
    lol did my wife just sign into this forum?

Veteran Member TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race is a splendid one to behold TDI_race's Avatar
    seized water pump has nothing to do with changing your timing belt
    Volkswagens aren't my thing

I had mine changed at 170+ km's.....this is really pushing it.......better to change earlier than too late.......then it blows your engine and will cost you thousands.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information