+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2001 Jetta VR6 help plz

Member korb is on a distinguished road korb's Avatar

2001 Jetta VR6 help plz

I am looking at a 2001 Vw Jetta VR6 with 150,000 kms on it
    it is auto with every option on it.

What is the common problems with this car?
    should i not buy it?
    anything that would be helpful

thanks alot guys and i look forward to ur expert advice, as no one has given me any stirght answers yet.... =(

Veteran Member VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold
    I rather get a 5 speed then a auto. At 160K the timing chains should be replaced which isnt a cheap job. Problem wise, there arent many. My buddy used to own one(DNotorious on GenDub) and he didnt have many problems at all. How much is it?

$5800 bucks. is that good price ??? its in the shop now getting 3 recalls done and a vw inspection as well as there is a slight vibration when the car is ideling and u rev it to like 1100 rpm.. feels like my butt is shaking in the seat. any thoughts?

with the timing chain the whole thing doesnt have ot be replaced does it? i thought it was just the tensioners?

Veteran Member VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold
    The timing chain should be replaced at 160K according to Queensway VW, as well as the chain guides. 5800$ is a amazing price but I cant stand automatics. If this is going to be your daily ride for just shits and giggles, then get it. If you plan on modding it, maybe you should try and find a 5spd.

naw this is a daily driver for me. and to apease the wife, she likes it i love vw's so it works out well for both. I just had a 5ps car and i am liking the autoness of it. i will throw a body kit on it and maybe lowering springs, but thats about it. i should call the vw dealer and talk to them about the timing chain thanks tho how are the trannys in the autos? good or bad??

To be honest with you Ive only known one guy with a automatic VR6 and he didnt have any problems with it so Im assuming auto's are great. Maybe some of our other members can chime in on the tranny and what they think about it.

Veteran Member CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by korb View Post
    ... there is a slight vibration when the car is ideling and u rev it to like 1100 rpm.. feels like my butt is shaking in the seat. any thoughts?
    lol its not a Bentley GT lol

I would definately make sure the timing is done before you buy it. Its a bigggg job i've heard. other than that, the arm rest breaks, glove box breaks and that basically sums it up.

GL
    B6 A4 1.8TQ - DD

i was talking to vw today and i dont have to replace the chain. that is only the belt with the 1.8L's. Only the tentioners have to be looked at around 160k or so. the chians never have to be replace which is cool. The auto tranys they say are soild as well. they also have life time tranny oil in them and never need to be replaced which is cool but also worryes me just a bit.

Lets face it, just because they work at VW, doesnt mean they know VW. My buddy has 119K on his 2000 VR6 GTI and his timing chain is loud as shit. Weather its the "tensioner" or the chain guides, Im not sure, but he's replacing it at 160K.

BTW: Im not 100% sure but If I was you Id get the tranny fluid changed at least every 100K

Veteran Member CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow is a name known to all CaptainSlow's Avatar
    read the fricken owners manual people... maintenance intervals are allllllll there...

geeeeeesh, so lazy
    B6 A4 1.8TQ - DD

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    Is it a VW dealer that's selling the car?
    I'm more censored than Pulp Fiction on a saturday afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Giver View Post
    Is it a VW dealer that's selling the car?
    Im assuming so. You know how they are Greg. They will tell you the car can fly just so they can sell the car, and as soon as its in your name, thats when you get screwed, and to top the shit off, they have the nerve to say "have a nice day" after they give you a bill for 2000$

Veteran Member stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble's Avatar
    isn't justjettin's car auto?...we should get him to chime in here.
    1998 GTI VR6
    I got vendettas in dice games against ass betters, and niggaz who pump wheels and drive Jettas.-Jay-Z/Reasonable Doubt
    I gotta thing for them big body Benzes, it dulls my senses, In love with a V-Dub engine.Jay-Z/The Black Album

Quote Originally Posted by stealth bubble View Post
    isn't justjettin's car auto?...we should get him to chime in here.
    He has a 1.8T

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    if it's a dealer. Tell them to switch the Chain or tell them to go fuck themselves.
    Add on $1000 or so for all of that and your own time on top of the cars price.

anything with K's up that high, make sure the maintenance has been done.

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    add $2200 for a chain swap from VW
    2003 Jetta TDI - Sold 1998 GTI VR6 - Sold
    2007 Rabbit - Sold 2008 Jetta - Sold
    2009 Tiguan 4 Motion Comfortline - Wrecked
    2010 Tiguan 4 Motion Highline

Veteran Member PLDub has a spectacular aura about PLDub has a spectacular aura about PLDub has a spectacular aura about PLDub's Avatar
    ^^^ Giver is right.

I never even consider dealerships, i only buy private. But if your buying from a dealer remember you can bargain with them. They are gonna tell you the chain looks great, then in 5000km your gonna go in for an oil change and they are gonna say, "your timing chain is really loud, we have to replace it"

Make sure they do it all right, without cutting corners before you consider buying it.
    - Julian -

2001 Jolf
    1981 Rabbit

another fun thing to do is bring it to ANOTHER VW dealership and tell them you're buying it used from someone.

im buying it private off a guy, which is why i havent read the owners manual lol but thanks for that input . It is at a Vw dealer ship in hamilton area atm having a few recall stuff done and there 220 point inspection as well as an oil change and such. I have heard that loud timing chains are just tentioners and not the chain guides itself. but i am no mechanic by far so i dunno thats just what i have heard. other then that u guys are helping alot. i think i wil try nad get the guy to change the timing chain before i give him the rest of the money for the car. whether he will go for it or not im not sure but ill try. humm ya i am getitng a lil worried about this chain tho. y god couldnt it be a friggen belt. liek the 1.8's

Because God loves VR6's and hates 1.8T's. Do you know how often peoples timing belts breaks on the 1.8T forums on vortex. Everyday at least 3-5 threads. You DONT have to replace it, after all it will be your vehicle, but Im just saying its better to be safe then sorry.

true and i would like to be safe for at least 100k more. but the engine didnt make any noises that i heard. and the pervious owner is like an 75-80 year old woman lol .the story is this.

she bought the car when she was 75 ( mostly cuz the guy at the dealership talked her into the big expensive model cuz she could afford it) then at 80 she lost her licence due to the fact that she can see more then 2 inches infront of her face. so with her hubby dead she got her son ( 45) to drive her around when she needed and he used her car to do so as well as he used it to drive around when his wife had his car.

So is the story wheather i beleive 100% of it meh i dunno ill tkae the story is 50% ture and 50% b.s

so i dunno the car is in amazing condition tho really. tho it does have a deck in it. i assume this is where the grnadson came along. he is only 17 atm ( he really looks like he is 12 to be honest) but i assume the deck was his dueing and he might have drove it a lil. i dont know tho but i am assume this now.

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Just gonna chime in here, if you plan on commuting everyday, the Vr6 can be quite hard on fuel depending on your driving style. If thats an issue, a 1.8T would get an extra 200kms per tank.

That said, the Vr6 is one of the best motors Vw has built, nice low end grunt, smooth power delivery, excellent sounding under full throttle

As far as the timing chain business, I didn't touch mine until 225k, they weren't even noisey when I did them. Timing chains RARELY break, they just get loud as hell.

I miss my Vr6 - just drive the thing, if you like it, buy it
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

thanks man .. i keep talking to ppl at the dealership and they say that they have not seen one come in yet taht needed a timing chain replace.. i am thinking i will buy this i dont carabout fuel i really love the car and so does the wife and plus i just bought rims and a body kit for it lol so i am comited now ill post pics of before and after shots

Member LIZVRSIK is on a distinguished road LIZVRSIK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarbatyA4 View Post
    ... other than that, the arm rest breaks, glove box breaks and that basically sums it up.
    also check the cupholder lol.
    lizvrsik
    follow me on twitter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information