+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Home Owners Thread

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Looks sweet bro. I need to take some new pics here.

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    looks great man...i did my backsplash in the summer...good job!
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    Thanks guys!

Here it is completed.. Grouting was a bitch and a mess.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Good job!! I'm a big fan of the tile, and also the upper cabinets that go right to the ceiling (or bulkhead). Ones with space above do nothing but collect dust.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Senior Member PolskaGTI is a jewel in the rough PolskaGTI is a jewel in the rough PolskaGTI is a jewel in the rough PolskaGTI is a jewel in the rough PolskaGTI's Avatar
    i like the matching style pillow in the last picture

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Looks good man. Gonna wait a bit before I do the backsplash in the new place until I can afford to replace the crappy builder countertop with something stone.

Veteran Member Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78's Avatar
    Looks awesome Harry!

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    Thanks! Hey I forgot about this thread.. I added pot lights to my main living room last week.

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    ^^^ Good work mang. Looks great!
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Looks good! Is the new house two stories? Did you have the wiring roughed in by the builder, or did you have to snake it through the ceiling?
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Same questions as above. Did you run all wiring yourself? Looks like slot of lights too, is it really bright? Debating putting in a dimmer on the pot lights in my living room.

Looks good! Is the new house two stories? Did you have the wiring roughed in by the builder, or did you have to snake it through the ceiling?
    Same questions as above. Did you run all wiring yourself? Looks like slot of lights too, is it really bright? Debating putting in a dimmer on the pot lights in my living room.
    It's two stories yes, so no easy access since the master is right above that room. Ran all the wiring myself (well, a friend basically did the majority of the work).

What was done was we cut into the bulkhead as seen here with 4 holes at roughly where I wanted the pots.:

We checked which way the joists were and measured out to the edge of each joist. One we knew they were 12" on center and where the starting beam was, we could peg out where each light had to go based on the distance. We did this so we didn't have to redo the ceiling - but making that first cut is scary, since if you miss, you're pretty much screwed.

Then we fished the wires through the bulkhead to each pot:

And then we also cut a hole in the wall above one of the sockets

(Already patched).

All the top sockets were 'switched' - so we changed the top socket to be un-switched and use the wire to control the pot lights. Then reused the switched wire to control the pot lights from the switch on the wall that came with the house. It would have been easy to add another switch (since the basement isn't finished), but there was really no point since having switched sockets was never used.

I put a dimmer on the switch since, ya, it's super bright at full power.

Not sure what "slot lights are" - these are just regular pot lights you get when you build your house or whatever... we have the same ones in the kitchen but had the builder put those in. At $250 per light (as the builder), doing it for ~$30 per light myself was much "lighter" on my pocket book

LMK if you have any other questions.

I definitely could have done this myself, but instead of a day, it would have taken me like a week, without help from friends and the TOOLS are without question needed. I wouldn't recommending doing it without knowing someone that has done it before. You could be in for an expensive ceiling repair if you miss one of those holes. it has to be touching the joist so the pot can be screwed on to something.

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    its a good idea to have a friend with the tools

Hi Peter
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

Sorry that was ALOT of lights, not SLOT, was typing on my Playbook quickly.

Good work on all of it. What did you do for filling in the holes? Use the same pieces of drywal that you cut out secured back in place and patched? Any taping or mesh used?
    Last edited by footose; 03-06-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    its a good idea to have a friend with the tools

Hi Peter

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    Oh hai guys I only have a few

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Very nice! You really got lucky with the direction the joists run and that bulkhead! I put pot lights into my moms kitchen a few years ago, and spent hours in the attic running the wiring, building boxes to keep the insulation away, etc. Not fun in middle of a hot summer!
    flickr

For sure luck yon the bulkhead. I think they added it just to match the back wall (where there is heating ducts probably)!

When we had the house built, we put a steel beam in between that family room and the kitchen, so they joists had to be going that way.

Shit I edited EMSBYDays post by accident.

Sorry that was ALOT of lights, not SLOT, was typing on my Playbook quickly.

Good work on all of it. What did you do for filling in the holes? Use the same pieces of drywal that you cut out secured back in place and patched? Any taping or mesh used?
    Same pieces that we cut out, I didn't use any tape on the bulkhead since the bulkhead was steel and probably wont flex like ceiling, but if it cracks ill have to go over it with tape. Used a piece of wood that allowed me to screw the cutout to. Kind of hard to explain.

Crude Drawing.. .haha

------------------------------- <-- Wood
    =^=== |___^____^___|===^= <-- Original Drywall + Patch + 4 Screws

Ya figured you have to secure it with wood strapping or similar. What kinda of patching compound are you using? Regular drywall compound? DynaPatch? Polly? I've switched from Polly to DynaPatch becuase its not supposed to shrink as much, but I find it still does.

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by footose View Post
    I didn't use any tape on the bulkhead
    Bad idea. You use tape for 2 reasons 1)when the house shifts or if there's any movement the tape prevents cracking and 2) because the mud shrinks when it dries. If you even touch that wall it'll crack. Or put any pressure on it it'll crack. I grew up doing drywall and this always made me cringe. But maybe you'll get lucky and no one will go near the spot

Quote Originally Posted by EMSbyDay View Post
    Ya figured you have to secure it with wood strapping or similar. What kinda of patching compound are you using? Regular drywall compound? DynaPatch? Polly? I've switched from Polly to DynaPatch becuase its not supposed to shrink as much, but I find it still does.
    For a job like this (patchwork) personally this is what I would recommend.

A dry compound (meaning you have to add water to it) called Sandable 90 - I think CGC makes it and it comes in a 2ftx5" thick paper bag. Use this as your first coat. It dries VERY hard so it prevents shrinking on future coats.

Drywall mud will always shrink once it dries, no matter what, but using the above product prevents it from really shrinking back.

For the next 2 coats you can use just a normal drywall premixed compound. There's a few brands to chose from but they're all pretty much the same. Some are a bit softer once they dry than others.

But if you want it come out really good, you have to do 3 coats in total IMO. I did drywall for 10-15 years before I switched to graphic design so I have a pretty solid idea of what needs to be done.

Oh and Harry, I could blend your ceiling if you ever messed it up The only thing you'd have to do would be to repaint the whole thing after the fact.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    Oh and another note on the drywall tape. There's 2 types as well. The 'mesh' stuff and the paper. For all patchwork I always use the mesh stuff. A bit easier to work with and works well when using the sandable 90 compound.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Then Ben!

I will probably have to go back and tape those spots then after they crack.

Good info Ben

Ben, next time I need to do drywall work I'm hiring you for it
    flickr

Works for me! And Harry, just wait until they crack before you fix if you've already done the work. You may get lucky and no one will put weight on it.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Doing some renovations at home. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Got my new NEST Thermostat yesterday.

www.NEST.com

Not available in Canada, except at my house lol

Install was easy. 10 - 15 mins

[img]https://yfrog.com/oeam4jtj:tw1/img]

I think im going to take the backplate off so its more flush.

Here's a video of the UI I took last night..

Funny how 3 years ago I would've said doing all these house upgrades is a waste and I should be spending money on Turbo's, compared to now, I wouldn't hesitate to spend money on my house instead of my car.

Can you set it to Celcius?

Quote Originally Posted by footose View Post

Funny how 3 years ago I would've said doing all these house upgrades is a waste and I should be spending money on Turbo's, compared to now, I wouldn't hesitate to spend money on my house instead of my car.
    Isn't your place a new build?? I can't believe you don't have the decora switches.

Regardless, that thermostat looks pretty impressive, still not sure about the cost of it though!

Spending money on houses is the sign that you are getting old, LOL.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information