+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Home Owners Thread

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    That's why I'm houseshopping in Grimsby this weekend Eff the GTA
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    ooooh new Niagara guy

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    Yup! Will need to find meets to go too by fall
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    Oh, is it team special time?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    i'm ready

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    Fastest response I've seen on GD in years!

PS I'm in too!

OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

all in the name of good food, cold beer and friends!

werd! Looking at some houses Saturday, super excited about it to be honest. Can't wait to gut something.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Here's some pictures of the fix up on our kitchen.

Here's a before picture of the counter top that was replaced.

Kitchen Fix up. by Ricardo_Santos, on Flickr

Here's the before of the opening from the kitchen into the family room.

Here's the after. Unfortunately we couldn't open it anymore because there's a support post to the right.

And a few more.

Counter top changed, backsplash added, over the range microwave added, new pulls on the cabinets, paint, casing and baseboard. All together cost ~$600-$700 (not including the microwave). Down the road (like 5 years or so), we will probably knock it all down and redo the kitchen again... but this time with a bigger budget. Right now we just wanted to make it more appealing and we got what we wanted, under the budget we had, which was $1000. I will probably add pot lights in the very near future.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Very nice work and great price on everything.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Great work opening things up Ric.

Ben, have you guys looked North of the City like Newmarket. East Gwillimbury, or Bradford? You can save a bit on housing costs and if you ae still working in the city have the option of taking the train instead of hwy traffic.

Yeah but it's all production homes that are sandwiched together. Hate that.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Ben, you'll probably want to shoot yourself after a year or so of commuting from that area to downtown. I work with a couple people that come from that area to Mississauga, and they spend A LOT of time in traffic, and they take the 407 as much as they can. Unless you work off peak hours, that'll be a long SLOW drive.

There's lots of slightly older homes in Newmarket that have good sized lots for reasonable prices too. Not as cheap as in Grimsby, but at least you can take the train instead of spending 2+ hours in your car each way.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member SR20DET is on a distinguished road SR20DET's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    Ben, you'll probably want to shoot yourself after a year or so of commuting from that area to downtown. I work with a couple people that come from that area to Mississauga, and they spend A LOT of time in traffic, and they take the 407 as much as they can. Unless you work off peak hours, that'll be a long SLOW drive.

There's lots of slightly older homes in Newmarket that have good sized lots for reasonable prices too. Not as cheap as in Grimsby, but at least you can take the train instead of spending 2+ hours in your car each way.
    I'm with Will. When I lived in Hamilton on the mountain, it would take me an hour each way to drive 30K to and from oakville on the QEW.
    Dave

2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2011 Kia Sorento AWD

he could always use GO train from there too. not positive where the nearest station is

Veteran Member Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber's Avatar
    Property value in Grimsby will be going up soon with the planned Go station so commuting downtown wont be an issue.
    bankrupt.
    SymproCNC.com im for all your machining needs (spacers, center cap spikes etc)

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    ^^ Planned means commuting will suck for at least a year still.

I commuted from Yonge/Davisville to Mississauga for a year (~35km), my morning drive was about 45 minutes without any accidents on the way up to 1.5 hours if there was any sign of snow at all. The drive home was way worse, if I left between 4pm and 6pm most days it was 1.5 hours without accidents. Long weekend Friday's were as bad as 2.5 hours. You have no idea just how much it sucks the life out of you to be stuck in traffic like that every day.

Without traffic, the drive would take about 25 minutes... just adds salt to the wounds

Now that we're in Thornhill, it takes me 35 minutes max each way. I do pay out the ass for the 407, but I have a lot more of my life back. I justify the ~$15/day because it saves me over an hour of my life and I make more than $15/hour
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Does that include using the HOV lane through Oakville though? Ideally I would start work early and leave early (same with the wife).
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Commuting through the 401 during rush hour almost killed me. I did it for 4+ years.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Does that include using the HOV lane through Oakville though? Ideally I would start work early and leave early (same with the wife).
    The HOV lanes only get you so far, if I were you I would try the drive once or twice before deciding to move out there if you can. Unless you're coming in really early, the QEW will be pretty jammed all through Mississauga right until you get off in the city.

What do you define as early? I know people that leave by about 5:30am to get into the city before traffic is nuts, and their drive is only about 45 minutes with light traffic. If you don't leave by about 3pm, you'll be slow getting out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricas View Post
    Commuting through the 401 during rush hour almost killed me. I did it for 4+ years.
    I don't know how you did it for so long! I would almost rather work at McDonalds than go back to that drive, and I was going the "easier" way (commuting out of the city).
    flickr

I would aim to leave at 6am. Probably leave downtown between 3 and 3:30pm.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

I would aim to leave at 6am. Probably leave downtown between 3 and 3:30pm.
    Your gonna hate ur life, I leave at like 245 from downtown, and only go as far as qew and dorval, and its already stop and go by the time I get to between ford and royal windsor

OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Isn't that where the HOV starts though? I know it's not going to be clear sailing either way though.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Not clear sailing, and Toronto grid lock are worlds apart. When you drive 30km's never getting out of 1st gear the whole way across the 401 you'll understand

To be honest, the only way to see what it'll really be like is to try the drive a couple times at the time you want to be doing it. You could very well find that it's not that bad for you, or you could find that it's too much to handle. Either way, it's something I would rather know before buying and moving.
    flickr

HOV lane start just pasted Dorval headed West and ends around the 407 ramp before Brant
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Efff, it's ~85km each way, with ~25km of HOV based on VERY rough measurements off google maps! I almost lost my mind going ~35km each way!
    flickr

Well I'm going to try the drive a couple times next week from Hamilton (wife's parents live there) and see what it's like. Hopefully I don't want to shoot myself haha. I figure if she drives in the morning and I drive on the way home it might be ok. Not to mention the new car HAS to be an auto so no more shift/neutral/shi/neu/shift/neutral etc
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

It's more like: 1st, move 5 feet, neutral, wait, 1st, move 20 feet, neutral, wait, 1st, move 10 feet, neutral, wait

I hope I'm wrong about how bad the traffic is, and it's awesome that your wife's parents live there so you can try it out a few times to gauge how bad it is! I just know how much 401 traffic drove me nuts with 1/3rd of the distance.
    flickr

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    Well I'm going to try the drive a couple times next week from Hamilton (wife's parents live there) and see what it's like. Hopefully I don't want to shoot myself haha.
    BAHAHAHAHAH

your going to be driving your Audi in Hamilton?

LOL
    24v

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread Information