+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY: Replacing Oil Breather Hose (MKIV 1.8T)

Senior Member TurboDub has a spectacular aura about TurboDub has a spectacular aura about TurboDub has a spectacular aura about TurboDub's Avatar

DIY: Replacing Oil Breather Hose (MKIV 1.8T)

DIY: Replacing Oil Breather Hose (MKIV 1.8T)

This guide shows how to replace breather hoses that deteriorates and gets brittle over time. It will eventually tear and leak oil vapours into your engine bay. Note that although this DIY was done using the OEM VW part, it is also possible to do so by using off the shelf parts from Canadian Tire or Home Depot. The old OEM part # may end with AB or AH. This hose has been discontinued and the new hose part # will end in BH. The new one is made by AEM and hopefully of better quality considering it is nearly twice the price of the old hose.

Note: Buy extra clamps in all sizes! It will come in handy!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a mechanic. As with any Do It Yourself guide, proceed at your own risk. Neither GenerationDub nor I are responsible for any damage you may do to your car attempting this install. If you are unsure, it is better to just go to the VW dealer and have them fix it for you than trying to fix it yourself and screwing things up.

Things you’ll need are:
    • Breather hose (VW Part #: 06A 103 221 BH): ~$83 - $93
    • Hose clamps from either VW or Home Depot: ~$0 - $0.50 each
    • Flathead screwdriver
    • Large philips screwdriver
    • Plier (vise grip works much better according to my friend)

The OEM breather hose. Note that this hose is a newer one manufactured by AEM:

1. Remove engine covers by turning the screws until they pop up.

2. If your hose is as brittle as mine, it will break right off without any resistance.

3. After removing the remains, clean the area throughly and make sure there are no broken rubber parts in the hole. Last thing you want is your engine breathing in rubber particles.

4. Unclamp the adjacent end of the hose using a plier. Be very careful because even after the clamp comes off, the hose is still stuck tightly on to the plastic tubing below.

5. This is where I ran into trouble. The plastic tubing is relatively thin and brittle. When I tried to yank off the rubber hose, I broke the tubing right where the yellow arrow is.
    And if you just did too, your day just got a whole lot more complicated. You can buy the new plastic tubing but if you're like me, you can get away with what I did in the following steps.

6. Notice part of the plastic tube still coupled to the hose.

7. We still need to remove the far end of the breather hose which just conveniently happens to be under the DV tubing.

8. You can try removing the DV tubing but it's just easier if you gently hold the tubing aside and unclamp the breather hose. This is where a good friend comes in handy.

9. Take the rings off the old breather hose (indicated by the arrows) and put them on the new breather hose.

10. Install the new breather hose. Thanks to the plastic tubing breaking off in step 5, it's now too short to couple the hose to it. This is where my friend with his engineering skills came in handy as you'll see in the next step.

11. Get the part that broke off, peel away the rubber hose that was caked on to it, and with an exacto knife, cut the black plastic exactly like shown in the picture. Luckily, the inside of coupling is lined with a copper tube.

12. Insert the copper tube back into the remaining plastic tubing in the engine bay. This is where extra clamps you bought from Home Depot will come in handy. If you bought a relatively small clamp, you can clamp it tight.

13. Insert the hose into the coupling you just made and fasten it tight with the clamps. Inspect the coupling area to make sure the fitting is air tight.

14. Clamp the other ends of the hose. At this stage, start your engine and rev it to make sure the hose doesn't come loose due to engine vibration.

15. Once you're sure everything is running fine and dandy, put the engine cover back on, take her out for a test drive and if everything runs fine, go grab yourself some ice cold . You deserve it.

16. Don't forget to say bye to your old breather hose.

Special Thanks to:

- footose (for the part number)
    - Armon (for helping me with taking pics and getting those damn clamps off)
    - Everyone else on the thread that helped me out!

Veteran Member vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento's Avatar
    Very nice write up!
    Mk3 Jetta 20V | B5.5 Passat TDI 5MT | OEM+ | chopshop |
    moar.

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    Agreed! Nice writeup.

I think mine might be cracked on the bottomside, I was looking around my bay the other day for leaks and noticed some oil spatter (and dirt collected) sitting on the hose that has the coolant temp sensor sticking out of it.

Senior Member TurboDub has a spectacular aura about TurboDub has a spectacular aura about TurboDub has a spectacular aura about TurboDub's Avatar
    Thanks! I tried to be as thorough as much as possible.

Let me know if you think I'm missing anything or if you want me to add something.

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Sweet DIY man... That's great, and I'm sure a lot of us will probably use it
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    Nice Write Up
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I think mine might be cracked on the bottomside, I was looking around my bay the other day for leaks and noticed some oil spatter (and dirt collected) sitting on the hose that has the coolant temp sensor sticking out of it.
    I think you'll still be able to get away with Home Depot parts to fix this thing even without the OEM part. Hope the DIY comes in handy.

Member ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~'s Avatar
    Nice write up, but if you want to avoid changing this piece often, I recommend a Catch-Can setup. I was faced with the same problem and didn't feel like dropping $90 everytime it needed replacing.

In short, oil (blow-by) flows out of the valve cover in a vapour form under either vacuum or boost (i forget).

The incoming line on the catch-can has a baffle which forces the the incoming vapor to travel through a maze of stainless mesh before it has a chance of exiting. This baffle promotes condensation, changing the oil vapor into oil drops which will eventually sink to the bottom of the catch-can and then allowing only clean air to exit.

Some pictures of my setup:

Quote Originally Posted by PLDub View Post
    In the long run it comes do to the good old VW saying . . . Cheap, Fast, Reliable . . . Pick 2!
    ||www.illicitvw.com||

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    The i very nice solution, not a fan of the color anodizing (my preference would be black and the braided lines) but never the less

Question: was that a complete kit, or did you just piece it together ?
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Veteran Member vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento's Avatar
    Ya I like that catchcan setup!
    Mk3 Jetta 20V | B5.5 Passat TDI 5MT | OEM+ | chopshop |
    moar.

Member ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lava_A3 View Post
    The i very nice solution, not a fan of the color anodizing (my preference would be black and the braided lines) but never the less

Question: was that a complete kit, or did you just piece it together ?

I put it together myself. The catch-can was custom made from a guy in Arizona and the fittings can be purchased from most performance shops.

The reason I went with the custom can was because many of the models you see on the net including the Ebay and Greddy cans are simply, just empty containers.

An empty pop can will do the same job. The oil vapour (blow-by) will just revert back into your air intake. Some guys will use the position of the can and gravity to eliminate the oil getting back into the intake but that %100. My catch-can has the internal baffle so you can mount it anywhere.
    In the long run it comes do to the good old VW saying . . . Cheap, Fast, Reliable . . . Pick 2!
    ||www.illicitvw.com||

Good to know...

BTW does this guy actually sell them, or is it something by request??
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

How often do you need to empty out the oil?

Member VeeDoubleYou is on a distinguished road VeeDoubleYou's Avatar
    Good write up and I only hope I can share stuff like that in the future.
    1986 VW Golf Wolfsburg - Rusted out, great car. (First car)
    2003 VW Golf GLS - Sold.
    1993 VW Cabriolet - Sold
    2001 Jetta 1.8T - Mine, all mine! (I mean ours).

Quote Originally Posted by Lava_A3 View Post
    Good to know...

BTW does this guy actually sell them, or is it something by request??
    He does sell them but the version I have was only made in small quantities.

This particular model has 3/4" aluminum welded hose fittings to match the stock valve cover hoses. It was inspired by the high flow requirements of Porsche models such as the 944 and the 951 which made it suitable for my Jetta. I was his VW test pilot for this particular can.

I will dig up his web page and contact info when i get home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDub
    How often do you need to empty out the oil?
    I only drive my car in the warmer months and empty the can only once a year.
    ||www.illicitvw.com||

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Veteran Member 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO's Avatar
    * VW ARMY *

WROTH VW

New Member VeeDubMan has a spectacular aura about VeeDubMan has a spectacular aura about VeeDubMan's Avatar
    I just did the exact same repair today. For some reason, while shoving a couple of burgers down my throat, I decided to pop my hood and check my oil. To my utter surprise, I had almost none left! The dip stick showed NO oil... I freaked! Upon closer inspection, my oil breather hose was also hosed and had a tear under it making it hard to see. What I did notice was oil all over my engine block... what a complete mess

I followed this excellent DIY write-up and heeded the warning about breaking the lower connecting hose by using a razor and cutting the oil breather hose so it peeled off easily like my girlfriend's clothes after a few drinks

I actually drove around with the old oil breather hose for a few weeks by wrapping it was good old dependable duct tape (documented duct tape use number 4,544,889) and it worked like a charm until I replaced the hose with a new one from the stealership.

Since I have changed the pipe, no more oil/gas smells coming from my engine, which I have been smelling for weeks and should have been my warning sign

Member iamfob is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the DIY write up. I followed the instruction step by step and I still manged to break the plastic tubing in Step 5
    Anyways I did exactly what OP suggested with the extra clamp connecting the copper tubing with the broken plastic tubing. It kept popping off. Am I stuck with the only option to replace the entire plastic tube? Anyone knows the name of the part or the part number by any chance?
    2001 VW GTi 1.8T SOLD
    2001 Honda Civic (Beater)

email: iamfob@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information