+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Workout / physical fitness thread

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Workout / physical fitness thread

I know we used to have one of these and it got pretty big

I know many are striving for a weight goal, be it gain weight, or lose through working out dieting, etc.

This would be a good thread to discuss dieting strategies and workout routines

I'll start.

Begining of the year i was 180lbs, Ive always considered myself to be a scrawny kid, so i decided to take up some fitness to gain some muscle mass. My goal by the end of the year is 205lbs. I made this goal in december of 2006. I currently weigh 196. 9 more lbs to go. But, fawk it takes time to gain now.

I try to make a protein shake after every workout, but sometimes forget. For those that workout/know about the subject, is it just as beneficial to pump up on protein during the day/immediately post workout or even the next morning is fine? Ive always tried immediately after when the muscles are the most hungry for nutrients

I do a 3 day workout.

day 1 - "Push" - Chest/Shoulders/triceps
    day 2 - "Pull" - Biceps/back
    day 3 - "Legs" - just that - quads, hams, squats

Ive just recently changed my workout since ive been feeling like i plateau'd. I've only gained like 2-3lbs this summer

I should also mention, i do cardio for 15min AFTER working out just about everytime

anyone else?
    24v

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    yup

Day 1- Ice cream and chips
    Day 2- ribs and ice cream
    Day 3- ribs and chips

I like to mix it up

anyway, there's a goodlife in the parking lot here, but it's for women and kids only. so I need to find a place to start working out again. working 70-80 hours a week though doesn't permit much time for anything else other than eating shitting and sleeping
    I'm more censored than Pulp Fiction on a saturday afternoon

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    wtf, i work 40hrs/week and i still find i have no time for anything!

i cant imagine working 80hrs/week
    24v

Veteran Member DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101's Avatar
    I would love some advice, from someone in the know...regarding some kind of work out plan!
    Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    in my spare time i like to surround myself with miniature figurines, and pretend that i am a giant. then i steal their livestock and smash their houses so they live in a constant state of fear.

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    I used to hit the gym regularly, however ever since the accident once I get ready to get back into a routine my back/neck/shoulder act up again and I have to put it off again.

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    I used to be at the gym 5 days a week. Then winter came and I started snowboarding again and that totally ruined the gym for me. It's so hard to get back there.

But my routine was a 6 week thing. Get to the end and start over. Each week I would do diff sets/reps.

Day1- Chest/shoulders
    Day2- Back/triceps and I did shrugs on this day as well
    Day3- Biceps and legs.

I started subbing in a large cardio workout (30 min run, 1 bike ride or some time on the cross trainers) instead of legs on the third day.

Now I've been biking around 20k a day for the past week or so and starting back into the lifting today.

Good call on this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    I'll throw something together for what I was doing earlier this year from February to mid-June and will be starting again within the next few days (just got back from holidays).

Went from 249 to 225, and put on quite a bit of muscle in 5 months time.

Veteran Member stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mosh View Post
    I used to be at the gym 5 days a week. Then winter came and I started snowboarding again and that totally ruined the gym for me. It's so hard to get back there.

But my routine was a 6 week thing. Get to the end and start over. Each week I would do diff sets/reps.

Day1- Chest/shoulders
    Day3- Biceps and legs.

I started subbing in a large cardio workout (30 min run, 1 bike ride or some time on the cross trainers) instead of legs on the third day.

Now I've been biking around 20k a day for the past week or so and starting back into the lifting today.

Good call on this thread
    thats basicly the workout chart your looking for....mine was a little different

day 1- back and biceps
    day 2-chest and triceps
    day 3-shoulders and traps
    day 4- legs and abs
    day 5 -off day
    day 6-repeat

you should only rest once a week (serious workout only)
    i followed this chart for 8 months
    gained about 30 lbs of muscle mass
    **** each day must begin or end with a 20 minute cardio workout...i.e. swimming or on a bike*** and dont rush through your workouts. they should last from 2 to 3 hours. 1 hour each muscle group + cardio. and no cardio is not a waste of time...lengthen endurance and stamina.

if u have a gut, cut out beer and pop and bread for couple months.

havn't been to a gym since my dad passed away....kept most of my upper bulk, and gained a little keg belly......
    1998 GTI VR6
    I got vendettas in dice games against ass betters, and niggaz who pump wheels and drive Jettas.-Jay-Z/Reasonable Doubt
    I gotta thing for them big body Benzes, it dulls my senses, In love with a V-Dub engine.Jay-Z/The Black Album

Day1- Chest/shoulders
    Day3- Biceps and legs.

Good call on this thread
    Word

My routine is similar to yours. I do shrugs the same day as back/biceps

Im actually going to the gym today (3rd day in a row) right after work. Contemplating making a protein shake now or not....

awesome protein mix i make...

milk
    cholocolate whey protein powder - 1 scoop
    1.5 table spoons of peanut butter

blend

drink

tastes like an O Henry lol
    24v

Veteran Member stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble has a brilliant future stealth bubble's Avatar
    protein shakes are ok for the first timer.....but after a while the affects are void to a person whos been going to the gym for a year.
    1998 GTI VR6
    I got vendettas in dice games against ass betters, and niggaz who pump wheels and drive Jettas.-Jay-Z/Reasonable Doubt
    I gotta thing for them big body Benzes, it dulls my senses, In love with a V-Dub engine.Jay-Z/The Black Album

Member Dubbin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Giver View Post
    yup

Day 1- Ice cream and chips
    Day 2- ribs and ice cream
    Day 3- ribs and chips

I like to mix it up

anyway, there's a goodlife in the parking lot here, but it's for women and kids only. so I need to find a place to start working out again. working 70-80 hours a week though doesn't permit much time for anything else other than eating shitting and sleeping
    hahaha you wont get good advise from this site!

but overall bump for a good post

Veteran Member DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101 has much to be proud of DUB101's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    awesome protein mix i make...

milk
    cholocolate whey protein powder - 1 scoop
    1.5 table spoons of peanut butter

blend

drink

tastes like an O Henry lol

Peanut butter is suppost to be pretty good for you too isn't it? Or am I talking shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by dubonic possesion View Post
    in my spare time i like to surround myself with miniature figurines, and pretend that i am a giant. then i steal their livestock and smash their houses so they live in a constant state of fear.

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    high in protein, so if you're using the protein up, then yes
    I'm more censored than Pulp Fiction on a saturday afternoon

Member Dubbin is on a distinguished road
    yes it is good for you, just not to much of it

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    First of all, you need to add at least one more day to your routine....3 aint gonna cut it really.

Also, try and spread out your muscle groups more....something like this:

Day 1: Chest (you can do one or two exercises for triceps too since these get worked out doing chest)
    Day 2: Back (you can do one or two exercises for biceps too since these get worked out doing back)
    Day 3: Shoulders, Legs
    Day 4: Arms (biceps and triceps)

You should not need to spend 2-3 hours in a gym either...that's totally insane. 4 exercises per muscle group (3 tri and 3 bi on Day 4) with 4 sets each should suffice. Also, if you wanna bulk up you need to keep increasing the weight with fewer reps. Start off with a warmup set doing 10-12 reps, then increase weight so you do 8 reps...and even a power set with big weight doing 6 reps.

Creatine helped me bulk up back in the day and it also helps you push heavier weight.

Protein shakes...take one in the morining and one after workout...your body can always use protein but some say that it's overkill...I say it can't hurt.
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    Yea the length of the workout shouldn't be too insane. I don't just workout for 3 days. I do Day1, day2, day3, day1, day2, two rest days then start again with day3, etc .... and I'm changing my reps/sets each week and the weights will change depending on what week I'm on. Also ... use a sheet/book to keep track of your progress. It helps sooo much. If you're just going to the gym with no real plan you'll lose your motivation (I found this anyways). Once I started keeping track and noticing "hey I lifed way more this time around than last time" or "hey I bike 4km further today" I was waay more motivated to keep going

It worked for me.

I also found protein shakes did nothing for me. And I HATED the taste. I just added more protein to my diet and cut out the beer (in excess ) and pop.

I agree that cardio is needed. Just how much of it all depends on what goals you want to achieve.
    Last edited by mosh; 08-08-2007 at 06:37 PM.
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

LOL

i agree, 3 hours is retarded

im in and out in 1.5 hours max!. I dont just go 3 times a week, but im just saying thats my routing. if i go 4 times, then the 4th time is day 1 again

Ya, it depends if i want to tone or build muscle. i'll do the 5 step pyramid routing, good for toning and building, but it just ruins you

this sounds like grade 9 gym class all over again lol

I'd rather keep away from creatine, i dont know enough about it. from what i read, people suggest a on-off routine. on for one week, then off, etc

thread is starting off great

keep posting up people!
    24v

Creatine just adds water mass, no?

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    yeah creatine makes you retain water but when i took it, it made me "stronger" and allowed me to push heavier weights (ie. bulk up).

I did it for like 3 months and stopped....yeah it takes a beating on your liver but like everything, if you do it in moderation you should be fine.

Senior Member Born2DUB has a spectacular aura about Born2DUB has a spectacular aura about Born2DUB's Avatar
    The British army does it right. They will work you with a routine for 1 year cardio and building. what ever your weight is at the end, that's your ideal body weight / structure.
    2004 Jetta 1.8T - {GT28RS}{Techtonics Exhaust}{007 DV}{K&N}{Greddy FMIC}{Unitronic Chipped}

Quote Originally Posted by stealth bubble View Post
    protein shakes are ok for the first timer.....but after a while the affects are void to a person whos been going to the gym for a year.

hmm, never heard of this

how do you "re-spark" the affects of protein then?
    24v

lemme ask you guys...how do you know if the protein "stops working" after x amount of time?

when you work out, your muscles tear slightly and the repair/scar tissue is what builds up your muscle mass....which requires protein...so if you're working out for 1 day or 10 years, and your muscles are building, then how can protein be a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by DrZEUS View Post
    lemme ask you guys...how do you know if the protein "stops working" after x amount of time?

when you work out, your muscles tear slightly and the repair/scar tissue is what builds up your muscle mass....which requires protein...so if you're working out for 1 day or 10 years, and your muscles are building, then how can protein be a bad thing?

word, which why i didnt understand that comment i quoted

People go on high protein diets all the time, i dont know how your body can get used to protein
    24v

Senior Member Born2DUB has a spectacular aura about Born2DUB has a spectacular aura about Born2DUB's Avatar
    Protein is key!! don't stop taking it or you will feel the work out the next day... regardless of how long you've been on it.
    2004 Jetta 1.8T - {GT28RS}{Techtonics Exhaust}{007 DV}{K&N}{Greddy FMIC}{Unitronic Chipped}

Word. x2 what Zeus said.

I might try protein again. Anyone have any recommendations on how to take it so it doesn't taste like old ass crack?

Word. x2 what Zeus said.

I might try protein again. Anyone have any recommendations on how to take it so it doesn't taste like old ass crack?
    LOL

....not that i know what crack tastes like

i mix it with milk. I use the chocolate whey protein powder. It tastes just like chocolate milk. Like i said, i add some peanut butter into it for some added flavour

You were probably mixing it with water? I could see that sucking

Ya, im pretty steady on protein. I should be eating it more tho, i only have maybe 3 shakes a week?...im gonna try to have one everyday
    24v

I mixed it with water for a while and then I tried some OJ. Just had vanilla flavoured protein. With OJ it wasn't horrible.

Where do you get your powders? I went to GNC

GNC is good, but i find a bit expensive

this tub i have now i actually got from Costco
    omg, NASTY, i can only drink protein powder with milk, its gross with water/juice
    24v

Hahaha well I'll give it a shot with milk. I might stop by there after work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information