+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody used Clay?

Senior Member TeejayTDI will become famous soon enough TeejayTDI will become famous soon enough TeejayTDI's Avatar

Anybody used Clay?

I've heard good things about this clay bar you can buy to give your paint that new car smoothness. Supposedly you wash the car with dishsoap to remove all wax and film, then rub this bar of clay everywhere and it takes off anything thats stuck to the paint. Then you apply a fresh coat of wax, and its supposed to be like having a fresh paint job. Anybody ever tried it? My paint could use some TLC before waterfest.
    I'd like to do a little more than just waxing. Also, I have turtle wax for now, and I wax by hand. Anyone come across some friggen awesome wax?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lava_A3 View Post
    i have a thing for penguin panties
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro 6sp Manual
    1983 GTI- R.I.P.
    2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition- Gone but not forgotten

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    I can't say I've used clay bar... I even have a hard time taking the car to the car wash.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Veteran Member Adam has a spectacular aura about Adam has a spectacular aura about Adam's Avatar
    normally it comes in a kit. They give you a soap to remove all prior wax. then rub it on, all over the car, its hard to explain but its clay, and when u rub it across the car it lifts the contaminants and keeps it in the clay, so u gotta keep moving the clay around. Then when your done id use a good paste wax along with a carnuba wax and ur set.

im gonna be doing my parents cars along with some friends cars this summer.
    1999 Saturn SL1 - Low
    1994 BMW 318is For Sale
    1997 Volkswagen Golf CL - SOLD
    1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL Turbo Diesel - RIP
    Get money, Get paid

Senior Member TeejayTDI will become famous soon enough TeejayTDI will become famous soon enough TeejayTDI's Avatar
    Good stuff... I'm thinking of doing my car soon, and then some of that 3m rubbing compound for swirls. then the turtle wax (paste) and whats this other wax? carnuba???
    1983 GTI- R.I.P.

Veteran Member pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga's Avatar
    I'm going to say it's like wet sanding your car but not to the same extreme. I clay bar my car last year and will do it again this year. I used dish soap as you said, and then the clay bar. Next I got out the scratch remover before a fresh coat of wax. The car was so shiny and the paint felt so smooth. Defiantly worth it IMO, if you don't mind a few hours of work.
    01 Golf 4dr 1.8T
    04 Passat Wagon

I waxed my car by hand last summer, its a lot of work, but so worth it. was fun watching the sweat fall off my face, onto the car, bead up, run off and car stayed dry.

I might have access to a buffer this year, which will speed up the process a little. but still gonna be usin the elbow grease when it comes to the swirl removing process.
    1983 GTI- R.I.P.

Veteran Member Adam has a spectacular aura about Adam has a spectacular aura about Adam's Avatar
    I used carnuba wax at A1. its a better, stronger wax. pain to get off though. lol. I did some black SUVs with it and man did it look good afterwards. cutting glaze, cleaner wax and carnuba and it was brand new...ah, i love the feel of a freshly waxed car...
    1999 Saturn SL1 - Low
    1994 BMW 318is For Sale
    Get money, Get paid

Quote Originally Posted by AdamCL View Post
    I used carnuba wax at A1. its a better, stronger wax. pain to get off though. lol. I did some black SUVs with it and man did it look good afterwards. cutting glaze, cleaner wax and carnuba and it was brand new...ah, i love the feel of a freshly waxed car...
    Where do I find some?
    1983 GTI- R.I.P.

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubvento View Post
    upfront and ignorant-like when you correct someone
    alright then, sorry but thats how i am, i wont help anymore

sorry to all that were offended by my upfront-ness and ignorant-like corrections
    Last edited by Lava_A3; 04-10-2007 at 01:52 AM.
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar

sorry to all that were offended by my upfront-ness and ignorant-like corrections
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

^^^ thanks for pointing that out, i forgot that u gotta spray the stuff on...i tihnk if you get the mothers clay bar kit it comes with a spray and special soap...
    1999 Saturn SL1 - Low
    1994 BMW 318is For Sale
    Get money, Get paid

OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Last edited by Lava_A3; 04-10-2007 at 01:53 AM.
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    /end rant

any others question please post and i will answer
    Peter
    I got a question. Why you gotta be such an asshole? lol Some people just don't know how to do things "the right way" as you've been shown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Last edited by Lava_A3; 04-10-2007 at 01:53 AM.
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    OK well first off ... notice the "lol" in my post. I'm busting your balls ... like you do to other people. Simmer a little

I understand that some people post before thinking.

Anyways w/e ... not the time or place for this in this guys thread.

for Peter
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Veteran Member vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento's Avatar
    I think Mike was just saying is, you don't need to be so upfront and ignorant-like when you correct someone, we do know AdamCL isn't the most welcomed character to these boards, but he's trying, he worked in the business so he's passing on what he knows, not saying you haven't done it before, but if you ever knew of a lively character namely Stefan (TurboABA)... he didn't really take no for an answer.

**Keep in mind, that was the first time I've ever stuck up for AdamCL, it will be the last, I promise you**
    Mk3 Jetta 20V | B5.5 Passat TDI 5MT | OEM+ | chopshop |
    moar.

Sorry for have offended you two.......and for the record only you two took it the wrong way, and Adam actually sent me a PM if i would give him a hand...

"Do you work for a detailer?

There is a lot I need to remember for this summer. lol. I've clay'd before but haven't done any major detailing for a bit. Hopefully I'll get another VW and make it to a meet and you can teach me a thing or 8 about proper detailing. It's something i enjoy doing and would rather do it right.

Adam"

in which i answered....

"i have, and kinda still do (ie i go into work when there is a polish/clay bar/paint sealant to do and get paid by the job. i still do it out of my own garage at home. i can answer question at a meet that be about it kinda hard to teach someone with out doing/showing them

Peter"

but sorry to have offended you 2, i will try and watch myself, wont happen again ....
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Veteran Member vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento's Avatar
    Man its not like that... but i have no further comments to make... I'll leave it as is.

**Mods wanna clean this thread up??**
    moar.

Agreed.

Misunderstanding HUGE.

Mods deff need to clean this up for the OP

w/e...

if the OP whats step by step instructions(incase he didnt see it, dont think he did) he can PM me and i will type it out for him again, as well as entertain any of his questions he may or may not have.

best of luck

/end
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Oh thanks Shawn, make me look like the bad guy!
    moar.

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    Mothers has a three step program Pre-wax cleaner, Sealer and glaze, and wax thats what I use most of the time as for the clay bra here is some info:

California Gold® Clay Bar System
    You’ve heard about clay bars—professional detailers, body men and your car buddies all talk about how they work. Now use the clay bar everybody wants. Created to remove the particulate debris and contaminants that washing and polishing can’t, our exclusive Clay Bar System will remove embedded grains of metal, tree sap, airborne environmental deposits and paint overspray. Better yet, our clay bar isn’t hazardous to your paint—it’s just firm enough to pick up the bad stuff, without being too aggressive. Use Mothers® Clay Bar to get rid of paint fouling grime and pave the way for complete waxing.
    2003 Jetta TDI - Sold 1998 GTI VR6 - Sold
    2007 Rabbit - Sold 2008 Jetta - Sold
    2009 Tiguan 4 Motion Comfortline - Wrecked
    2010 Tiguan 4 Motion Highline

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    use a clay bar...it cleans the bull shit off the paint like nothing else...then you are working from a nice clean surface to apply whatever type of sealant, polish, wax you wish to do!! i spent about 12 hours last spring before JJB doing it ...and most of you know my car never even made JJB.
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    I'm going to wash, clay and then wax my car. A buddy of mine uses Turtle Wax Ice and he loves it. I'm going to try it, whenever the weather gets better.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    yeah clay bar is awesome. I'm going to give it another go this year. took me 14ish hours or so in total to claybar, glaze, wax. It made the paint look killer..
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    clay is the devil, I have no patience
    I'm more censored than Pulp Fiction on a saturday afternoon

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Once a year! It gets the paint nice and shinny.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    I bought the Mother's kit last year. Only did a fender and my hood and got lazy. I really need to take care of my paint this year though, it's starting to show it's age. Swirl marks like whoa.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information