+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front Brake Install How To, rotors and pads

Veteran Member Sawdust is on a distinguished road

Front Brake Install How To, rotors and pads

Ok well he is my little how too. how ever i think my front brakes are a little different then the gtis, and maybe even the golfs now but here it is anyway.

First jack up the car and install your jack stands. i recomend you never work on the car just usinf the jack.

Remove the wheel. duh.
    and this is what you have. pretty gross eh?

Before going any furture it is recomend you spray down and clean with brake cleaner.

Remove the wheel sensor from the holder and unplug. (the sensor is on the driver side only)

Now using a c-clamp (f-clamp like shown) make room for the new pads. do this by slowly depressing the the piston a little at a time. keep on eye on the master cylinder to make sure it dosen't overflow. you will need to push it all the way in to make room for the new pads.

Now on the back of the caliper is two rubber sleves with caps. remove the caps and you will see an allan screw (called guide pins). It should be a 7 mm. as 6 was too small and 8 was too big. i found this out after everything was started so i had to grind my own 7mm, out of an 8 lol.
    This picture is of the back of the caliper with the cap allready removed.

here is the guide pin sticking out of the rubber holder.
    (my rubber holders are blue besace of the caliper painting.)

Now unscrew these guide pins and the caliper can now be removed from the holder. also remove the green screw holding the rotor to the hub. YOu may need to hit the rotor free with a hammer. also pop the old pads out of the caliper. they just pop out.

I took this time to repaint the calipers. and then installed the new rotor with the green screw. apply a little, anti sezie to make sure you can replace it agian next time.

Install the new pads into the caliper. Just reverse the way you took them out. and install the caliper back onto the wheel and reinstall the guide pins, and reconnect the wheel sensor.

you are almost done, reinstall the wheel and repeat on the other side.

Remove the car from the jack stands, press the pedal a few times. and then follow the proper break in period for your new rotors. mine was bring the car to 30 km/h and applying normal pressure bring the car down to 5km/h. repeat 5 or 6 times. then let the car sit for 1 hour to allow the rotors to cool.

good luck. and as usual if you screw it up its not my problem.

On a side note my brakes are fs lll. there is also fn 3 which is the kind with the srping holding on the outside pad. steps to replace are still very similar
    Sawdust

Quote Originally Posted by footose
    Nice Work!!

I had an old install somewhere

www.hscanlan.com/new/brakes/
    yeah i read though that but decide to write it up as this is for the front. and you don't need that tool.

i must say i am not an automotive person, when it comes to mechanical repairs but replaceing the front pads and rotors was very easy. and only took me 2.5 hours, with painting the calipers and making my own allen key. lol
    Sawdust

Would this be the same for the rear also? Is it nessesary to bleed the brakes? I have no idea so all info is helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hatch
    Would this be the same for the rear also? Is it nessesary to bleed the brakes? I have no idea so all info is helpful!
    look up in footose's post there is alink there to his rear brake install. its a little different.

As fro bledding thebrake lines i don't think its neccesar because you are not messing with the brake lines. but i may be wrong.
    Sawdust

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information