+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turbo leaking oil...

Senior Member Born2DUB has a spectacular aura about Born2DUB has a spectacular aura about Born2DUB's Avatar

Turbo leaking oil...

Ok For some time now my turbo has been leaking oil.. from what I've gathered (from Cherry's Turbo) The seal on a turbo is not the greatest and will leak if there is enough pressure to make it leak. He has told me that there most likely is something else wrong causing the turbo to leak oil.. any thoughts?
    2004 Jetta 1.8T - {GT28RS}{Techtonics Exhaust}{007 DV}{K&N}{Greddy FMIC}{Unitronic Chipped}

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    From what I've seen, if its a seal on the turbo it'll burn oil off/blow it out the exhaust, not leak it.. If its leaking, its either the feed or return line.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911 is a jewel in the rough Prowler911's Avatar
    Will is right, how much PSI are u running that is "too much pressure" ??
    Nick | 2001 Golf 1.8T | www.mygolfiv.com | www.gtan.ca | HID Kits | Mechanic Gloves | Need Hosting ? $6/Month IM Me |

Senior Member Born2DUB has a spectacular aura about Born2DUB has a spectacular aura about Born2DUB's Avatar
    roughly 20 lbs of boost... :S I went to order a new gauge from Sandersen Tire but after talking with Derick he suggested that I fix this oil issue first.. so that's when I started to investigate my turbo leak issue.
    2004 Jetta 1.8T - {GT28RS}{Techtonics Exhaust}{007 DV}{K&N}{Greddy FMIC}{Unitronic Chipped}

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    If you are running too much oil pressure it would cause oil to burn off in the exhaust housing as well.

From what I've seen, if its a seal on the turbo it'll burn oil off/blow it out the exhaust, not leak it.. If its leaking, its either the feed or return line.
    It's true, but not always the case. Usually if you have leaking oil "seals" (they aren't really seals but we'll call them that) you will see a lot of oil on the intake side of the turbo that's "blowing" through the entire system. That's when you can see an oil leak, because it will leak back down the intake side and out of your intercooler piping (thats where i was having a leak).

So what you can do is pull off the hose that is before the thorttle body and look for any oil build up. That is the first indication that you're turbo is dying. A good place to look for oil is in the intercooler as well.

Another check I would do is pull off the inlet pipe and check for shaft play. Herman @ Cherry is a good guy tho.. he can probably refurb your turbo if you wanted it done. Tell him from your GenDub :P

If you do have a line leak, then you should look after it soon or else your car may end up like that GTI fire a while back That was a shitty ATP oil return rubbing on the downpipe that caused that..

^^ I've talked with Herman and he is the one who actually steered me away from the turbo being the problem. I'm going in to Foreign Auto tomorrow for Jason to see if he can find the problem.. I was told to 'make sure i'm not pressurizing the crank case' how to I know if I am?

http://www.approvedturbo.com/troubleshooting.htm

found a good read about my issue. Thought I'd share it with you guys for general knowledge

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    good info. exhaust side is actually a labyrinth type of oil barrier. is it an external or internal leak?
    Dixie whistlin', Coal Burnin', '01 Jetta TDI-3rd WF 14-SOLD
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

honestly... I think it's both!?! if that's possible... I can clearly see it externally but from the amount I found in my intercooler I think it's internal aswell.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Just to clarify, I assumed when he said the turbo was leaking oil that he could see it leaking/dripping oil externally.. Now that he mentioned its ending up in the IC, that could easily be the 'seals' as well, going through the compressor side like Harry said.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    normal to have a small amount in there though
    Dixie whistlin', Coal Burnin', '01 Jetta TDI-3rd WF 14-SOLD
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    honestly... I think it's both!?! if that's possible... I can clearly see it externally but from the amount I found in my intercooler I think it's internal aswell.
    Yah, it's more than likely that your turbo is dying. Next step is to pull the inlet off and check for shaft play. If so, then you know it's time to get a new snail!

Thanks for the info guys... and cross your fingers. Tomorrow I find out what the issue(s) are..

Quote Originally Posted by Born2DUB View Post
    http://www.approvedturbo.com/troubleshooting.htm

found a good read about my issue. Thought I'd share it with you guys for general knowledge
    Tried to see that web site but its closed down. I put a new turbo on and still getting oil thru intake piping. What do I look for next?

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    you pcv system in good order?
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information