+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Koni Cup Kit

Veteran Member klbeans will become famous soon enough klbeans's Avatar

Koni Cup Kit

I found this on the tex. Price seems right but just wondering what everyone's opinion is on these.

KONI CUP KITS ( SHOCK & SPRING COMBO )
    KONI is proud to introduce a new and exciting line of Sport Springs that compliments an already impressive line of shock absorbers. Lowering a car can give it the exact degree of cool and performance that young drivers want. KONI Sport Springs can a lower a car up to 45mm and are compatible with OE, KONI Sport, and Special D shocks. They are the perfect start for a lower and better looking car at a reasonable price.

The sporting motorist who wants nothing but the very best in road-holding is offered a unique range of KONI suspension kits: complete kits consisting of matching KONI Sport shock absorbers and lowering springs. These kits will give the car absolutely superb road-holding qualities and the looks of a real sports car.

With KONI lowering springs the centre of gravity of the car is lowered. Combined with a firmer suspension this will result in even better steering qualities and reduced body movement. The use of lowering springs requires special damping characteristics: the mere application of stiffer springs together with ordinary shock absorbers often has a negative impact on road-holding and comfort, and may even lead to dangerous situations.

MK 4 Jetta Cup Kit - $770 Canadian
    I'm looking for something that will not sacrifice ride quality too much while improving the performance of my car. The drop is around what I'm aiming for (1.75"). I know Rictuga had mentioned he found the quality of the ride on his (shocks/struts) a little firm but wanted to play with the adjustments to see if he can soften the ride. Are these shocks/struts adjustable?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by klbeans; 03-13-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    IMO, I wouldn't pay $770 for a cup kit. An Extra $300-400 can get you coilovers.

My suggestion would be to buy used shocks and springs. You just have to be patient and wait for the right deal. I've seen them as low as $350 for Koni Yellows (same that I have), and you can get springs pretty cheap $100-$200.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Quote Originally Posted by rictuga View Post
    IMO, I wouldn't pay $770 for a cup kit. An Extra $300-400 can get you coilovers.

My suggestion would be to buy used shocks and springs. You just have to be patient and wait for the right deal. I've seen them as low as $350 for Koni Yellows (same that I have), and you can get springs pretty cheap $100-$200.
    I don't think I want Coilovers. I read they require more maintenance during the winter. Also I thought coilovers would run me about $1200.

Aside from the cost, what do people think of the kit?

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    true.... even tho the koni yellows ARE adjustable... it would make more sence to go full out at that point.

personally I've seen/felt the performance of koni reds, and they're not all that hot. This leads me to question koni's yellow brand of shock absorbers.

coilovers may require a bit more maintenance, but you can always raise your vehicle in the winter and lower it back down in the summer. All that the koni yellows will do is adjust the dampening ability of the shock absorber. leaving your car lowered all year.

if you're prepared for that....

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    You can't go wrong with Koni's. It's one of the best aftermarket suspension makes for the Dubs!

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    I can't speak for Koni's as I've never been in a car with them equipped, but I can tell you that I LOVE the ride on my FK Cupkit. It's not harsh or jarring, handles bumps and dips very well, meanwhile the car handles much better, stays flatter in the turns and there's less nosedive when you have to slam on the brakes.

I agree with what everyone's saying though, $770 for springs and shocks just sounds like too much money to spend on what you're getting.

Veteran Member Susannah has a spectacular aura about Susannah has a spectacular aura about Susannah's Avatar
    You can Get Koni coil overs from QMR for 1200 bucks! And I've only heard of one instance when coils seized and that was on a girl's car who didn't hose them down or spin them up or down for three years..
    WOB - DR786

GTI:The quintessential hatch back of the 21st century. Known for the genocide of Hondas and punk ass asian kids who think Civics are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I can't speak for Koni's as I've never been in a car with them equipped, but I can tell you that I LOVE the ride on my FK Cupkit. It's not harsh or jarring, handles bumps and dips very well, meanwhile the car handles much better, stays flatter in the turns and there's less nosedive when you have to slam on the brakes.

I agree with what everyone's saying though, $770 for springs and shocks just sounds like too much money to spend on what you're getting.
    Now I'm really getting confused here. Sorry for the Newbiness.

If I were to price out say H&R Springs with Koni Shock/Struts... the price would work out to be higher and all I'm getting is springs and shocks??? I don't understand why everyone's saying that it sounds like too much money considering this is a kit where the springs and shocks were designed to work together??? Isn't that the configuration you have Raz... essentially shocks/springs?

I'm just trying to get my head around all this stuff. Sorry for the frustration.

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Probably a decent kit. but as said above if you dont want coilovers and just want a cupkit go FK. Drove on mine for over 2 years without a problem and loved every minute.

Yes it can be more expensive but you can also get deals on parts to buy separate springs + shocks/struts and have it cheaper. My recomendation is the FK CupKit

Is this the kit you guys are talking about?

FK Cup Kit

Also, is the height adjustable? It says 55-40 mm drop. What's that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by klbeans View Post
    Are these shocks/struts adjustable?
    To answer this question, YES. From the picture you posted it the little knob that is used to adjust the springs is there. You can see it, it's white with red lettering.

Also, if you are set on this cupkit and are not too worried about the price, go for it. Koni is a great company and these should have life time warranty on their products. I do! I'm sure you'd be happy with them.

And you can probably get someone here to install them for you.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Quote Originally Posted by klbeans View Post
    Is this the kit you guys are talking about?

FK Cup Kit

Also, is the height adjustable? It says 55-40 mm drop. What's that mean?
    55 millimeters in the front, 40 in the back. What's that in inches, I'm not sure, probably 1.5 or so.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

55 millimeters in the front, 40 in the back. What's that in inches, I'm not sure, probably 1.5 or so.
    Approx. 2.16" up front, 1.57" in the back.

BTW... here's a handy link... Conversion Tables.

Member ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~ is just really nice ~cia~'s Avatar
    I have Koni Yellow's with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs and I'm perfectly content with them.

I would not recommend the Koni Red's if you do not want to sacrifice ride comfort for performance. The yellow's in my eyes are the "happy median"!

You should also look into the Koni FSD shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PLDub View Post
    In the long run it comes do to the good old VW saying . . . Cheap, Fast, Reliable . . . Pick 2!
    ||www.illicitvw.com||

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    Fern, for the price you gonna pay for this kit if it was me I would get coilovers... there is so much more you can do specially the part you can raise them in the winter, also if you don't like the way it sits you can always adjust higher or lower to your liking. With the kit you looking you're gonna be stuck at whatever height the springs sag to.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    raising car for the winter is for homos

Quote Originally Posted by LuiTuga View Post
    Fern, for the price you gonna pay for this kit if it was me I would get coilovers... there is so much more you can do specially the part you can raise them in the winter, also if you don't like the way it sits you can always adjust higher or lower to your liking. With the kit you looking you're gonna be stuck at whatever height the springs sag to.
    So far I'm leaning towards the FK Kit or a Newspeed Sport/Yellow Koni's combo. The FK Kit would be cheaper new but you never know what deals I may find over the next while.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSbyDay View Post
    You say that like it's a negative thing... being homo I mean.

BTW... thanks for everyone's help so far.

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSbyDay View Post
    I don't raise my car in the winter, but I would like to have that option... I'm sick and tired of plowing my street before the City does.
    RICE IS:

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuiTuga View Post
    I don't raise my car in the winter, but I would like to have that option... I'm sick and tired of plowing my street before the City does.
    it not that bad, leave it lowered. plus the money wasted every winter and spring. even if you adjust them your self you needs a full alignment after, which is usually an hour's labour. 80-90bucks
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    I'd definitely suggest the FK Cupkit. It'll have a lifetime warranty as well, and going by QMR's price it starts at $180 cheaper than the Koni kit you're looking at. A lot of people slag FK, but they're usually people that have never owned or even been in a car with the parts equipped.

What do you guys think of the Patec Suspensions Top Touring RACE Kit?

The sale price on the Jetta 45/45 kit is great, depending on shipping. I guess you'd get that tossed in the container Susannah's working on right now? I don't know much about Patec's, but I've never heard anything bad about them which bodes well for them. People tend more to complain about a product that sing its praises.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava_A3 View Post
    it not that bad, leave it lowered. plus the money wasted every winter and spring. even if you adjust them your self you needs a full alignment after, which is usually an hour's labour. 80-90bucks
    On the MK4 there is no need for the wheel alignment if you lower or raise it, you're not changing the angles.
    RICE IS:

Are you saying that if I were to lower my car, I don't need an alignment afterwards?

As far as I know. I didn't need one and neither did Ric or Roland... we actually raised Roland's car so not sure on that one
    RICE IS:

Whoa, I dont know about that. I have always heard it is STRONGLY recomemded, if not needed to get an allignment done. and not just by shops wanting a cash grab, by shops that lower and have no affiliations for allignments.

Actually Kevin, the only thing that can be adjusted is the toe and it does not change with lowering the car.
    RICE IS:

Got the car lowered, no alignment, no difference, thread wear is fine. So...

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Got the car lowered, no alignment, no difference, thread wear is fine. So...
    Good to know.

Just make sure you don't tell the Vortex that you did that... Ask me how I know

IMO drop it, no alignment unless something fells different with the car.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information