+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The little Cabby that could

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar

The little Cabby that could

So as most of you know I stumbled upon a cabby project.

Here's the timeline as to how this car became my project car.

1. Girlfriend needs car
    2. She wants a vdub
    3. She see's the Cabby "that's cute, I want it"
    4. First day home, fuel leak
    5. New fuel tank
    6. Car goes in for emissions and safety
    7. They suggest to her that it's highly unsafe to drive that vehicle home.
    8. Within a month of that we break-up, she moves out, I keep the car.

And so the project begins.

This first section to the thread will be short and sweet.

Here's a picture of me today working on the cabby.
    Remember kids.................safety first when doing body work and painting

I will be uploading pictures of the progress so far and what parts I've picked up along the way. We'll probably see some DIY's out of this project as well.

The Shit-List

Misc Shit

Refurb Gas tank- Purchased and install
    Fuel lines- Not to shabby, got some work done on those

Brakes

Done

New Front brakes- Current setup with new rotors and pads

Want/Need to Do

New Brake lines- Not completed
    New Back brakes- Rear disque conversion from donor car- still might do this. going to get the drums done for now
    Replace master cyl- Purchased new stock MC,
    New brake booster from passat
    Resevoir from passat

Engine

Done

New Timing belt and tensioner
    New Motor mounts- Poly
    New Water pump
    New cam seals
    New crank seal

Want/Need to Do

2.0 16v from passat donor car
    Manual rack from a Scir-i-rocko
    MK1 header- S&S Header
    MK1 Lower and upper intake manifold- Painted black
    Valve cover- Black
    Fuel- Motronic ECU, possibly MS conversion to standalone this winter
    New Exhaust- Have not made a solid decision on this. Depends on final decision for rear bumper.
    New Plugs
    New Wires
    New Cap/rotor
    New Oil/filter, maybe magnetic drain plug
    New air filter
    New crank pulley bolts
    New valve cover gasket
    New upper and lower intake gasket
    New exahust gasket
    Might get new vac hoses

Transmission and clutch

Done

Using 02A from Passat and stock clutch for now
    WRD 02A into A1 mounts
    New poly bushings all around. Plus poly inserts
    shifter linkage from passat
    pedal cluster from a rado and gas pedal from a b3.
    and yes it's a hydro

Want/Need to do

Short shifter- Need more info on this, then I'll make a decision
    change tranny fluid
    New clutch disc

Wheels and Suspension

Done

13x8 RB's with a slllllllllightly stretched 175/50/13. slightly........
    VMAXX Coils, still running them with the bumpstops for now
    New bushings all around

Want/Need to Do

New Ball joints- not installed yet
    New Tie-rod ends- not installed yet
    New subframe bushings

Exterior

Done

Badgeless except for single round grill
    Molding trim
    Molded side markers
    Molded door handles
    Molded 3rd break light.
    Tails- Small rabbit tails, slightly smoked, no amber

Want/Need to Do

New Roof- Purchased, not being installed until after body work and paint
    Headlights- Stock single 7" rounds, looking at getting smoked crosshairs or stealing Shawns setup
    Paint- Flat colour. Probably going flat black as I had originally planned.

Interior

Done

Corrado front buckets
    MK1 Rabbit rear leather bench
    MK1 Rabbit leather cards
    New speakers and wires

Want/Need to Do

new window cranks
    new headliner down the line
    Stock HU from MK4 running to phatnoise this one should be fun

Shout-outs

Luis for basically doing everything
    He's been the dude helping the most along the way with this

Shawn for telling me to "fuck off, read for fuck sakes, reeeeeeeeeeeead motherfucker!"
    My Pops for helping me out with the body work
    Eric for helping me out with parts and Paul too
    Roland forrrrrrrrrrrrrr something I'm sure
    Ric forrrrrrrrrrrr nothing
    Peter because he's helping me design the audio side he just doesn't know it yet.

I don't know if anybody else has actually helped work on the car other than Luis though
    Last edited by Giver; 07-25-2008 at 02:14 PM.
    I'm more censored than Pulp Fiction on a saturday afternoon

Veteran Member 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO's Avatar
    ^^ Thanks for the Photoshop material.^^

Post pics of this mysterious cabby before I think that you are totally lying that you even own one.
    * VW ARMY *

WROTH VW

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    He owns one... just like to see if there's any of it left

What's with the mask for Greg? I thought you didn't have any more brain cells left... what are you afraid of now?
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    ^^ He's not protecting his lungs, he's protecting the car from him!
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    Sweet, this is going to be a fun buildup thread. Can't wait to see the end result.

I'd make sure to double-check any wrenches I turn on any of the work.

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    ^^^^^ You can't be any worst then Greg
    RICE IS:

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    hey giver what you doing tomorrow I am free
    2003 Jetta TDI - Sold 1998 GTI VR6 - Sold
    2007 Rabbit - Sold 2008 Jetta - Sold
    2009 Tiguan 4 Motion Comfortline - Wrecked
    2010 Tiguan 4 Motion Highline

You wanna go over a cause some more damage to that poor cabby
    RICE IS:

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 81CABRIO View Post
    ^^ Thanks for the Photoshop material.^^

Post pics of this mysterious cabby before I think that you are totally lying that you even own one.
    always happy to help lol

and I'll have some pics up tomorrow, maybe monday. It's much faster on the business high-speed

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsmeall View Post
    hey giver what you doing tomorrow I am free
    give me a call in the mornin' O, I'll be home.

took the taillights out finally today. They almost as shitty to take out as MK4 Jetta ones, little easier though. Keep finding these fun little cancer spots all over the place too.

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    More pics of the progress Giver... DO IT!
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    for sure havent seen this little cabby, never made the drive to zephyr.if thats even a place
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Check Giver's garage, he has a pick of the cabby. I got to drive it once, what a POS
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    Yeah, seriously. A whole day has passed and the only pics to show for it is yer ugly mug?

^^^^ Mug only a mother and Chrystal could love
    RICE IS:

I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to upload pictures from the build-up.
    Stupid internet at home is deathly slow

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuiTuga View Post
    ^^^^ Mug only a mother and Chrystal could love
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Giver View Post
    I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to upload pictures from the build-up.
    Stupid internet at home is deathly slow
    i guess one of the 12 other people in Zephyr is using the phone line
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

nah, I'm on Wimax type of shit. But I have a ish load of pics to upload

So tomorrow nobody better call your office because you'll be taking up all the bandwidth uploading pics.
    RICE IS:

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    don't you have like satellite internet or some shit
    2003 Jetta TDI - Sold 1998 GTI VR6 - Sold
    2007 Rabbit - Sold 2008 Jetta - Sold
    2009 Tiguan 4 Motion Comfortline - Wrecked
    2010 Tiguan 4 Motion Highline

He does but the Satellite is presently down... didn't pay the bill
    RICE IS:

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Satellite internet still uses a phone line for uploading, its only fast for downloading.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Well now that we're all well verses on different internet mediums, I'll post the pics tomorrow.

Took the new air grinder to some tough spots on the hood, this thing is freakin' awesome

Veteran Member Susannah has a spectacular aura about Susannah has a spectacular aura about Susannah's Avatar
    This thead is useless without progress pics. We all know what Greg looks like, get over yourself and build the damn car!
    WOB - DR786

GTI:The quintessential hatch back of the 21st century. Known for the genocide of Hondas and punk ass asian kids who think Civics are cool.

Veteran Member trixx will become famous soon enough trixx will become famous soon enough trixx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giver View Post

trixx Oo===oO wheel whore extraordinaire

Veteran Member 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO's Avatar
    ^^ LOL That's fawken awesome! Here's a pic of his little friend too!

* VW ARMY *

WROTH VW

Quote Originally Posted by Susannah View Post
    This thead is useless without progress pics. We all know what Greg looks like, get over yourself and build the damn car!
    Somebody is cranky!

And shawn, quit posting pics of yourself

ok, so here's some of the pics as of yet, I gotta head out soon to plan some idiots wedding stuff though, so I'll probably post more later.

Here how she looked when it was actually road worthy, legally road worthy at least.

Here's a couple really shitty pics of when I first jammed it into the back bay of the garage.

yeh yeh, I know, those pics blow. But you all know what a black cabby looks like.

Here's some of the parts I have ready to go, minus the golf balls

Restoration/modification fuel

The workspace

Some of the cancer I'm contending with

Beginning the fitting of a MK2 Golf big bumper
    I'm using the existing MK1 Steel bumper to mount it

I'm going to be moulding the sides. The groove where the trims goes, as well as flushing the sidemarkers front and back.

The back end doesn't need much attention. There's a few little spots on the hatch, but they went away pretty fast. I'll be building a couple new panels for the bottom because, well, they're pretty much gone.

Those tails won't be on the car anymore

These ones will be going on

once I'm finished with this.

Timeframes, no idea. I'd like to have it on the road sometime in May or June. Basically that means she'll probably see the road next year. I've spent more time on her in the last couple weeks then in the past 6 months.

So far I don't have any thank you credits to handout, but there will be some soon. You know who you are, and if you dont' show up. I'm giving up FU credits!

ok, that's it, I'm outta here

Veteran Member Susannah has a spectacular aura about Susannah has a spectacular aura about Susannah's Avatar
    I love how there's a green couch in there with a huge ashtray. I wish my garage was that sweet..
    WOB - DR786

GTI:The quintessential hatch back of the 21st century. Known for the genocide of Hondas and punk ass asian kids who think Civics are cool.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information