+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brakes dragging

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar

Brakes dragging

Okay...

I had just redone my brakes on my 91 TD, and so far everything has been going great until I had to do a large amount of driving today.

My brakes seem to be dragging and my rotors (and other connected parts of the wheel) seem to be getting rather hot.

At first I thought my sliders were seizing up, but I replaced a pair of them in December and had used assembly lube on the re-installation. I did some research and I had come across this bit of information.

Quote Originally Posted by other post on other board
    I had the same thing on a Mk1 years ago. The problem was the adjustment on the push rod from the pedal. The rod was pushing the MC in just enough to block the compensation port. This is the return port to the reservoir, if it is blocked when the brakes are released the fluid can not get back to the reservoir and drags the calipers.
    I had recently changed my master cylinder and am wondering if anyone else has any information regarding this adjustment.

thanks

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    I guess this should be moved to exterior

Veteran Member 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO's Avatar
    Moved To Exterior
    * VW ARMY *

WROTH VW

Veteran Member 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO is a glorious beacon of light 81CABRIO's Avatar
    Was there any other part of the braking system that was repaired/replaced or fixed in any form? Are your factory residual pressure valves still in place, either at the master cylinder or somewhere in each line to the rear brakes (sometimes just away from the master cylinder and other times I've seen them furthwer back near the rear brakes. There is also a spring loaded proportioning valve attached to the rear beam, is it functioning, is there spring there and/or is it leaking? Hope this all helps.
    * VW ARMY *

WROTH VW

Quote Originally Posted by 81CABRIO View Post
    Was there any other part of the braking system that was repaired/replaced or fixed in any form? Are your factory residual pressure valves still in place, either at the master cylinder or somewhere in each line to the rear brakes (sometimes just away from the master cylinder and other times I've seen them furthwer back near the rear brakes. There is also a spring loaded proportioning valve attached to the rear beam, is it functioning, is there spring there and/or is it leaking? Hope this all helps.
    ..... well, no because I can localize my problem to the fronts, so it's nothing to do with the rears. it's not the proportioning valve.

and what's a residual pressure valve? don't you mean inline proportioning valves? mk2's never got that, in stock form we only ever had the spring loaded axle one.

Fronts are dragging? hmm Did you put on the correct front pads? There are 2 thicknesses, one for solid rotors (thicker) and one for vented rotors (not as thick). I don't think that it is even possible to install the wrong pads and I know that you should know this, I have just added that info there for anyone else that may read this. What calipers are you using? Are they old? Do they need to be replaced with re-man calipers due to the piston not moving freely, could be what is causing the brakes to drag. Have the slider bolts been replaced? Have they been lubed up and do they still have their little rubber boots on them so no foreign bodies can get in and interfere with the sliding action, also could account for why the brakes are dragging. When was the master cylinder replaced? Did all of the brake lines go back into the master cylinder where they were supposed to? More things for you to think about, hope all that helped.
    * VW ARMY *

WROTH VW

Quote Originally Posted by 81CABRIO View Post
    Fronts are dragging? hmm Did you put on the correct front pads? There are 2 thicknesses, one for solid rotors (thicker) and one for vented rotors (not as thick). I don't think that it is even possible to install the wrong pads and I know that you should know this, I have just added that info there for anyone else that may read this. What calipers are you using? Are they old? Do they need to be replaced with re-man calipers due to the piston not moving freely, could be what is causing the brakes to drag. Have the slider bolts been replaced? Have they been lubed up and do they still have their little rubber boots on them so no foreign bodies can get in and interfere with the sliding action, also could account for why the brakes are dragging. When was the master cylinder replaced? Did all of the brake lines go back into the master cylinder where they were supposed to? More things for you to think about, hope all that helped.
    no shawn, it's not helping... you questioned practically the whole braking system from first post.... then went from rotor, pad, all the way to master cylinder.

you're stabbing in the dark and not troubleshooting..

thanks tho

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information