+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's causing shaking?

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar

What's causing shaking?

OK ... so today I finally got to give the car hell to test out this chip. I'm pretty impressed with it. It's obviously not a MONSTER improvement 'cause I don't have anything else done to the car but it is a nice bump in low-end torque and power all the way up.

So I picked up my girlfriend today and we're driving back to Guelph. We take the 401 'cause I want one more chance to push the car and she wants to see what this "chip" does to the car

So this onramp from Townline road onto the 401 is pretty long and has a really nice sweeping corner. I gave it hell in fourth gear up to 130 and it starts shaking soooooooo bad. I shift into fifth and it's STILL shaking ... drop down to about 120 and it stops. Then pushed it back up past 120 in 5th and it shook like a mofo again.

Now I don't think its the wheels being out of balance ... I checked for snow in them to see if that was throwing it off and I've had the car up to 150 not that long ago.

Any ideas?? Is she broken? lol

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by mosh; 02-17-2007 at 10:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    I dont think that would have anythig to do with the chip. Sounds more wheel/driveline.

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSbyDay View Post
    I dont think that would have anythig to do with the chip. Sounds more wheel/driveline.
    No, no ... don't say that Don't wanna hear that nonsense

Thanks though
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    sorry dems da breaks.

Yah I know I was just really hoping it'd be something simple. And cheap lol

Moderator CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski's Avatar
    Its probably your tire. I had the same problem on the MK3. One of my tires got a flat spot and once I got that tire replaced shaking was gone.
    Nobody calls Han Solo a Bitch!
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

They're brand new tires? And I haven't done anything to flat spot the tires

Moderator CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski's Avatar
    Hitting a bump or a hole in the road would do it. Curb possibly as well. Im just sayin I had the exact same symptoms and it was the tire. Check them just in case.
    Nobody calls Han Solo a Bitch!
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

Yah I know what'll flat spot a tire. Read what I wrote. Haven't done anything to flat spot a tire. I avoid holes in the road and go slow over bumps and I've never hit a curb in my life.

I'll check 'em anyways but I really, REALLY doubt its the tires

How brand new? recently mounted? A tire could have shifted and now be out of balance. Had that on my old wheels, had a tire that shifted on me like 3 times and I'd get a vibration on the highway while accelerating over 110-120.

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    You could have a bad axle, bad ball joint, bad tie rod end, bad wheel bearing... and the list goes on. I would say check the ball joints and tie rods first, then the axles and bearings.

Good luck Mike
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Thanks guys

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    Can't believe anyone else hasn't suggested it. Stomp on it to get up to speed, and when it starts shaking, pop the car out of gear and coast. If it's still shaking, you've got a wheel / tire/ suspension problem. If it stops shaking, then I'm afraid you might have a problem.

Personally, with as much e-braking as I do in this weather, I get all sorts of ice and snow build up on the insides of my wheels. It takes a car wash or a warm day, or a few minutes at speed to knock it loose.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Did it throw any weights off any of the wheels at all???
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

I'll try that Again today Roland.

Will I don't think any weights have been knocked off. I'll check again today as well

Thanks again.

OK just took my girlfriend home ... hauled ass up to about 140 chasing a TT down 24. And again the car shook, so I dropped it out of gear and it shook still. So I guess that rules out any engine probs. Didn't see any weights missing so I'm still kinda confused.

Veteran Member vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moshvr6 View Post
    OK just took my girlfriend home ... hauled ass up to about 140 chasing a TT down 24. And again the car shook, so I dropped it out of gear and it shook still. So I guess that rules out any engine probs. Didn't see any weights missing so I'm still kinda confused.
    Hopefully you figure this problem out soon, cause I want a ride in the car to see what the difference it makes!
    Mk3 Jetta 20V | B5.5 Passat TDI 5MT | OEM+ | chopshop |
    moar.

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    snow and ice build up in the rims. Makes the car shake a different speeds most times at higher speed take all your wheels off and scrape out the snow or if you can get under the car scrape it out that way
    2003 Jetta TDI - Sold 1998 GTI VR6 - Sold
    2007 Rabbit - Sold 2008 Jetta - Sold
    2009 Tiguan 4 Motion Comfortline - Wrecked
    2010 Tiguan 4 Motion Highline

^^^Ya thanks

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I checked for snow in them to see if that was throwing it off and I've had the car up to 150 not that long ago.

well seeing how your traveling at such high speeds most of the time the slightest pothole at that speed could do a nice number on a tire and or rim. I would watch out going that fast when It is shaking, not that easy to control a blow out at high rate of speeds. Swap on the summer tires and rims to see if it is gone.
    HOGO

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    Well, good to hear it's not engine related, but it sucks that it's still shaking. Does the wheel shake or the car? If it's the wheel, I dunno, maybe tie-rods or something. If the car shakes in general, then it's probably something from the rear.

We're supposed to get warmer weather this week (-1, 0, etc) so if it's snow/ice you'll see (although as you mentioned, you're pretty certain that's not it).

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Try taking it to a washing bay and spray inside the fenders.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Quote Originally Posted by hogo View Post
    well seeing how your traveling at such high speeds most of the time the slightest pothole at that speed could do a nice number on a tire and or rim. I would watch out going that fast when It is shaking, not that easy to control a blow out at high rate of speeds. Swap on the summer tires and rims to see if it is gone.
    lol Yes I know it wouldn't be easy to control. I've had a caliper fall into my wheel on the highway before and that was enough of a challenge. Putting summers on at this point is NOT an option. A 40 series Falken would be like a hockey puck covered in grease in these temps.

I can try going to spray the wheel wells out but I don't let snow build up in there. Knock it out with my brush after every drive.

Roland I'm pretty sure its the whole car. I've jumped off it right away as soon as it starts shaking so I haven't paid too much attention but my girlfriend felt it as well so I'm gonna say its the whole car.

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    check your motor mounts i had a sunbird shake like a bastard at highspeed once and it was the motor mount that needed to be replaced
    2003 Jetta TDI - Sold 1998 GTI VR6 - Sold
    2007 Rabbit - Sold 2008 Jetta - Sold
    2009 Tiguan 4 Motion Comfortline - Wrecked
    2010 Tiguan 4 Motion Highline

Ya? OK thanks I'll look into it

How would motor mounts explain the shaking still being there when load is taken off?

Oh good call Roland ... I'm not thinking much today

You can check anyways, who knows, maybe it's bouncing around in there or something, I'm just sayin'.

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    I know you checked for snow/ice in your wheels but look again. Even a small layer of ice can cause wobble. I had this problem once in my old MKII and when I inspected the wheels they looked clean from snow/ice but the wobble was still there.

When the weather finally warmed up the problem went away.
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

Alright I'll check again tonight before the meet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information