+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning sparkplugs?

Veteran Member distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future

Cleaning sparkplugs?

car is running like ass, feels like the plugs are failing...

i pulled one out and there is white crusties coating the electrodes. is there a way to easily clean them off? the plugs aren't that old and when i scrapped some of the stuff off it did run much better but still not right

also where the hell can i find single electrode copper plugs? i tried 7 places today and all they have is platinum shits which are horrible in these motors, and triple electrode NGK's (which are in there now) but they are almost impossible to gap properly, which is why i think mine are fowled now.

anyways is it safe to use brake clean or something similar to try get them clean?
    *various witty comments and gawky, forum cluttering images*

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    fowled like the bird?
    or fouled like the baseball?

Member a67driver is on a distinguished road a67driver's Avatar
    single copper electrode champions or ac delco should not be very hard to find

Veteran Member distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future
    Quote Originally Posted by a67driver View Post
    single copper electrode champions or ac delco should not be very hard to find
    both of which are very much NOT recommended everywhere i read

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    you can clean them off with fine sand paper and then try them again
    2003 Jetta TDI - Sold 1998 GTI VR6 - Sold
    2007 Rabbit - Sold 2008 Jetta - Sold
    2009 Tiguan 4 Motion Comfortline - Wrecked
    2010 Tiguan 4 Motion Highline

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    man the last time i heard either of the names was like in the 90's Champion for a sled and Ac Delco for a GM car

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsmeall View Post
    you can clean them off with fine sand paper and then try them again
    yea it might come down to that

but like i said they are triple electrode so its really hard to get in there with sandpaper, i was hoping some electrical contact cleaner or something would work

Quote Originally Posted by distr0 View Post
    both of which are very much NOT recommended everywhere i read
    i agree but you asked for a single core copper plug which is not recommended either......
    mostly because they dont last very long, would need changing every year. newer cars come with other element cores which extend the life of the plug.

why not get the plugs from the dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsmeall View Post
    why not get the plugs from the dealer?
    they dont carry them usually, and VW only has silver core plugs now which are $27 a piece

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    The best way to completely clean the white stuff off those plugs is to use a fine pick, it should break right off. The triple electrode spark plugs should come pre-gaped, can't see how you'd get a feller gauge in there to gap them.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

maybe a small wire brush? i used to have a sand bag for this, hooked a air line to it and it would clean fouled plugs like gold.....wish i still had it.

well i cleaned the plugs and the car still ran like shit.. so i got new plugs (the triple prongs again, all i could find)

and it STILL runs like shit. completely left me stranded today for an hour, then started working again like nothing was wrong

now im not sure what to do.. coil maybe? dizzy?

help!

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    Didn't you have some related problems before? How were the repaired electrical wires done... could have some corrosion causing it to run like shit.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Quote Originally Posted by LuiTuga View Post
    Didn't you have some related problems before? How were the repaired electrical wires done... could have some corrosion causing it to run like shit.
    yeah hall sender wiring was shot before.. but it was fixed properly (soldered, heat shrink)

i replaced the coil tonight and did an oil change and pretty much full tune up and it seems to be running fine again. i'll take it out on the highway tomorrow though, thats where i first noticed the sputtering

hope it is fixed! let us know

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuiTuga View Post
    The best way to completely clean the white stuff off those plugs is to use a fine pick, it should break right off. The triple electrode spark plugs should come pre-gaped, can't see how you'd get a feller gauge in there to gap them.
    that is right.
    Dixie whistlin', Coal Burnin', '01 Jetta TDI-3rd WF 14-SOLD
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

alright that problem is fixed, runs like silk now. mean angry 8v silk

new problem today, getting a clunk-clunk-clunk noise which sounds almost like a CV but not as loud, and its coming from the rear

can bearings clunk? from my experience they always start to hum but could this be a bearing problem too?

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    runs like silk now. mean angry 8v silk
    8v silk = burlap

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    this happen over big bumps? small bumps? how fast?
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

Quote Originally Posted by sootbomb View Post
    this happen over big bumps? small bumps? how fast?
    nothing to do with bumps... as soon as i get any speed (over 20km/h or so) i can start to hear it, varies with wheel speed, not motor. also seems intermittant.. it might shut up for a few minutes then come back again

bump... really need help here, no idea what the problem is

its getting worse, not sure if i want to drive it tonight

i just went out for a spin and noticed that if i apply the brakes, or the e-brake slightly (apply a little pressure but not enough to stop) the noise goes away completely

any ideas?

edit: the noise is almost like a tick-tock sound
    Last edited by distr0; 02-19-2007 at 06:01 PM.

bent backing plate. had the wheels off recently?

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    edit: the noise is almost like a tick-tock sound
    any terrorists live near your house?

bent backing plate wouldn't do that would it?
    Or if it did, why would applying the brakes make a difference?
    I'm more censored than Pulp Fiction on a saturday afternoon

never mind itll have drums. oops. could be a rust ridge on the drum

Quote Originally Posted by sootbomb View Post
    bent backing plate. had the wheels off recently?
    yeah new rear cylinders and shoes a few weeks ago but no noise till yesterday. couldt be the backing plate? what would it be hitting? its a pretty 'deep' noise though

the drums did have a pretty bad lip but i was too lazy to get them turned

anyways think its ok to drive? maybe you can have a listen tonight if you're coming out?

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    well, if you put new shoes and cylinders on, it's probably sticking out more now than before. And if some rust built up in there it could be hitting it now, when before it would be

Quote Originally Posted by Giver View Post
    well, if you put new shoes and cylinders on, it's probably sticking out more now than before. And if some rust built up in there it could be hitting it now, when before it would be
    makes sense but i wouldnt think that would make a clunk noise

All depends what's hitting, are your drums ribbed for your pleasure?

should be ok to drive. im not comin out tonight though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information