+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY:Single to Double Din Conversion for Audi A3

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar

DIY:Single to Double Din Conversion for Audi A3

This is a DIY yourself for a Single to Double Din conversion for the 2006 Audi A3

CAUTION: This DIY does require you to change the cage that is behind the dash. The cage was NOT design to be removed with the upper dash still in place. It is possible to do so, it just requires some bending and flexing of the dash piece to remove and re-install.

Parts
    1.) Pair of Radio Keys

2.) Double-DIN cage
    PART NO: 8P0 858 005 A
    RETAIL: $115.77

3.)Blanks (non-functional buttons)
    PART NOS:
    LEFT: 8P0 941 515 C 5PR
    RIGHT: 8P0 941 516 C 5PR
    RETAIL: $9.17 EACH

4.)ESP Switch:
    PART NO: 8P0 927 134 C 5PR
    RETAIL:$36.60

5.) Card Shelf:
    PART NO: 8P0 941 561 E 5PR
    RETAIL:$91.42

6.)Center trim (Goes around switches ):
    PART NO: 8P0 863 321 C 6PS
    RETAIL: $48.75

7.) Hazard Switch (The single din one will work and fit, But does not match dash contour)
    PART NO: Will update, have to Order
    RETAIL: Will update, have to Order

8.) Theres a flat trim piece that mount to the under side of the HVAC unit, i did NOT get as its a small pocket under there and im putting stereo stuff there, so i SAVED the money

Step 1:

Buy an Audi A3 and dont waste your money on the BOSE sound system.

Step 2:
    Go get all the parts required to do the DIY, #7 and #8 are optional but i would recommend to get #7.

Step 3:
    Use the radio keys to remove the radio, remember that the keys go hook side inward. insert and pull out the radio. There is 5 connectors that need to be disconnected.

Step 4:
    Next you are going to remove the trim piece that goes around the ESP, Hazard, and card shelf. There are clips that go all the way around, you are going to pull it striaght off

Step 5:
    Next you are going to remove the blanks, ESP, and hazard button. All of which just pull striaght out. ESP and HAZARD both have 6 pin connectors, ESP has a WHITE connector, and HAZARD has a BLACK connector.

Step 6:
    Removing the Card Shelf, the card shelf is held in by 2 pop-tabs in the upper right and left corner. open the card shelf, and using a pick or mirco screwdriver push down on the tab and pull the same side, so that the tab doesnt pop back in. Do the same to the other side and pull the shelf out.

Step 7:
    Removing the HVAC unit is simply, just grab the top and pull the unit will release, there are 4 connector on the back of it that need to be remove. Dont worry about them, they can only be plugged back into their proper plug

Step 8:
    Admire the single din cage quickly, then proceed the Step 9

Step 9:
    Next we need to remove the side handles, to get to the screws you need to remove the ash tray. First thing actually remove the ash tray.

Next put the car in 4th gear, and grab the front egde of the shifter surround and pull straight up. Pull the boot up and over the shift knob and leave it there. NO need to remove it.

There are 2 screws in the front that hold the ash tray in place. Remove the 2 screws and the clips, dont lose them.

Pull the ash tray assembly up and toward you to remove it. they is a little wire in the front for the light in the tray, disconnect that as well

Step 10:
    Removing the handles. first put the car into 3rd gears. Remove the 2 bolts that are circled below( ALL bolts were 8mm IIRC)

Next put the car back in 4th and remove 2 more bolts from under the HVAC unit. AS shown below

Next using a 5mm allen wrench, undo the bolt from the under side of the handle

And its out, just repeat again for the other handle

Step 11:
    Removing Panel from under steering wheel. first need to remove fuse box cover. Its held in by 3 clips just grab from the gap and pull striaght away.

Next remove the bolt from inside the fuse panel

Remove the 2 bolts in the foot well

Thats all thats holding the panel, all that left are soe clips on either side to the steering wheel column. just grab the panel and pull it toward the driver. Now just remove the 3 connectors and the panel is off. 2 from the lighting control, and the OBDII port
    Last edited by EMSbyDay; 01-21-2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: edited to 2 posts
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    Step 12: Continued
    Remove the 2 bolts from the under side of the glove box in the foot well

After it will drop down, you only need to disconnect 2 connectors, RED one is for the glove box light, YELLOW is for the CD changer cable('06 MODELS ONLY). If you run your I-POD Cable into the Glove Box As shown at the END, you DO NOT reconnect the YELLOW Cable

Step 13:
    Next all you have to do is undo the following screws and bolts. the blue line(Bolts) go into the cage from the sides. the yellow circle are screws that hold the dash unto the cage, alos have to be removed, and the red circles are bolts from the cage into metal support. there are also 2 screws in the sides, behind filler tabs that need to be removed, 1 on each side, shown as BLUE circles.

Step 13:
    Take out and replace the cages. no real pictures. All i can tell you is to take your time, hold the dash with one hand and turn the cage with the other, got both my in and out or about a 45 degree from the front bumper. came out, side ways.

Once you remove it there is one piece you need to re-use from the old cage to the new cage. The plastic 3 button holder, as seen below in YELLOW, it pops out the same as the Card Shelf, with 2 pop tabs on top.

Step 14:
    Reinstall all the bolts and screw and make sure that all the interior lines, line up correctly
    Here are pictures of all the new parts you will need.

Double Din Cage

Center Trim

EPS and BLANKS

Card Shelf

Step 15:
    Make a carbpard template of the space under the trim piece and use it to cut the HVAC unit to fit. you could buy a new one that would fit properly but it would cost about $700. So take your time, and keep fitting it till it perfect.

Thats about it for the actual conversion from here its just a matter of what head unit you want, and installing it. just need the Double din fascia, harness adaptor, and antenna adpator, and your good to go.

Here's a before and after pictures

BEFORE

AFTER

SIDE NOTE: The old Card shelf had a pic of Cards on the front but never lite up the new one i got had wires to light of the Front pic. Our cars dont have a harness plug for that so i just tapped in the lighting to light it up. The card shelf has 2 wires 1 Blue and 1 white, the blue is ground and the white is 12 volts, to tap into a lighting source you have 2 choices, 1 into the wires for the ash tray light or 2 into the lighting control switch. i went to the switch cause i had already taped it for my boost guage

I will do a DIY on installing the Double din TV another time, this took forever to do

Hope this helps any one thinking of or planning to do this, it is totally worth it in the end.

Peter

ADDING AN FULL SPEED I-POD CONNECTION(in the Glove Box)

In the glove box there is a slot, for a CD Changer, with no plans/need for one this is where i put my I-POD.

In the 06 Models, this is where the CD changer cable connects so, it will no longer be connected here, so using a cable tie , just attach the chagner cable be to the harness where it comes from.

Now Using a drill bit, drill out the tab, till it looks like this so the end of the cable will fit through. (You can also just break the whole tab off, but i went with the drilling it out so in case a go back the changer cable will still connect)

Run the I-POD end through there, and run the other end back to the headunit, and install is complete

thats about it for the actual conversion from here its just a matter of what head unit you want, and installing it. just need the Double din fascia, harness adaptor, and antenna adpator, and your good to go.

SIDE NOTE: The old Card shelf had a pic of Cards on the front but never lite up the new one i got had wires to light of the Front pic. Our cars dont have a harness plug for that so i just tapped in the lighting to light it up. The card shelf has 2 wires 1 Blue and 1 white, the blue is ground and the white is 12 volts, to tap into a lighting source you have 2 choices, 1 into the wires for the ash tray light or 2 into the lighting control switch. i went to the switch cause i had already taped it for my boost guage

i will do a DIY on installing the Double din TV another time, this took forever to do

Hope this helps any one thinking of or planning to do this, it is totally worth it in the end.

Peter
    Last edited by EMSbyDay; 01-21-2007 at 09:43 PM.

New Member JamesD is on a distinguished road
    What type of double din fascia did you use?

Senior Member xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx's Avatar
    5 year old thread. but he might reply about it
    1998 VW Golf 2.0T ( R.I.P. )
    Dubbin, It's a Life Style

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    What type of double din fascia did you use?
    I ordered it a long time ago, and had to get from europe as there wasn't much around back then. I'm sure you can find stuff now....altho that wasn't a true double din fascia. It was a aftermarket fascia to convert from a factory double din to a single din HU and a Single din pocket. There was a thin bar seperating it. I basically just cut it out and sanded and polished the cut marks and made it a double din

Peter

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

New Member JamesD is on a distinguished road
    Thank you. I'm waiting for a couple more parts then I'm gonna do the install. I'll post pics when I'm done. Also did you change out the speakers as well?

Hi there,

I'm very new to this forum. I'm extremely interested in doing this to my a3 but i can't find any of the above parts, especially the double din cage. Does anybody know where i can get the bellow parts from?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Parts
    1.) Pair of Radio Keys

2.) Double-DIN cage
    PART NO: 8P0 858 005 A
    RETAIL: $115.77

3.)Blanks (non-functional buttons)
    PART NOS:
    LEFT: 8P0 941 515 C 5PR
    RIGHT: 8P0 941 516 C 5PR
    RETAIL: $9.17 EACH

4.)ESP Switch:
    PART NO: 8P0 927 134 C 5PR
    RETAIL:$36.60

5.) Card Shelf:
    PART NO: 8P0 941 561 E 5PR
    RETAIL:$91.42

6.)Center trim (Goes around switches ):
    PART NO: 8P0 863 321 C 6PS
    RETAIL: $48.75

Compatibility Help

Hi everyone,

Can this double din conversion be done on a Audi a3 year 2000 model?

Please get back soon

Thanks

New Member krikkeee3 is on a distinguished road
    Hello there everyone.

First of all i would like to thank Lava_A3 for this wonderfull post.

I am also going to convert my single din setup to a double din in my audi A3 8P1.
    I ordered all the parts: dubble din cage, button trim, blank butten left/right, ESP button and the cupholder (instead of the coinholder)
    I didn't buy the Hazard button because i've read a lot about this and there are many threads that say that you don't need to replace this button, so i hope it will fit nicely.
    also i ordered a double din fascia for audi a3, and the HU i ordered: Sony XNV-KIT602Ei. and offcourse a harness adapter.

now i am waiting for the parts to be delivered and if all the needed parts arrive in time, I am going to convert my car on monday. I will post some photos of the proces.
    The only question i have about this conversion:
    In your guide you tell that you can get the single din cage out IF you do some bending and flexing of the dash piece to remove and re-install. The thing is I am not so confident with that flexing and bending and i really dont want to fuck this up. How hard is it to get the upper dash removed? and how is it done? I can't find a nice guide for doing that.

Thanks!

New Member ashie is on a distinguished road
    Hi gents,

I know this is a old post. I would like to swop out my single din for a double din.
    Will I be able to use the cup holder, 2x blanks and esp that is currently in the car?

Can any one in London (UK) do this for me? I'll pay ?100. I have all the parts. Double din cage and buttons. All i need is someone to fit the cage, buttons, my navigation system and trim the climate control. Email me on: juned90@hotmail.co.uk if anyone can do this. I will travel to you if you are in london

New Member benbur is on a distinguished road
    I just joined for the purpose tracking down more info on this and future modifications to my Audi. I just bought a 2007 A3 with the concert radio that I am hoping to upgrade to a double din CarPlay head unit -- probably the JBL Legend CP 100 when it is released.

I have ordered all of the relevant parts, but I'm hoping someone might have pictures or more insight for the install. The original photos are no longer visible on this post.

Can anyone help?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information