+ Reply to Thread

Thread: front and rear brake upgrade

Senior Member mylesp has a little shameless behaviour in the past mylesp's Avatar

front and rear brake upgrade

I have a 96 golf cl and a friend of mine has a 98 4 door golf. His has front and rear disk brakes. The car has about 150k on it and the brakes are new all around! the car is mint (he side swiped a curb and shifted the rear end) its been in his shop ever since. i want to know how big of a job im getting myself into before i start. also since the car is mint im going to be parting it out after!! it has a 2.0 5spd with brand new winters tires on it and 14" stock aluminum rims . front end and doors are rust free the pass rear door has a dent, seats are mint. im due for brakes and im sick of looking at those drums in the rear and the un-vented disk's in the front. any suggestions would be great!! thanks

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    Moved to exterior. I haven't done the swap but from what I hear its not TOO complicated. If you know what you're doing and have some room to do this I say go for it

There are a few people on here that I'm sure could help you out though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    I've went from disc to drum on my mk2...
    it's not that bad
    you said the axle is tweaked tho? right?

Veteran Member distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future
    Quote Originally Posted by BellCityDubber View Post
    then i fixed them
    *various witty comments and gawky, forum cluttering images*

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BellCityDubber View Post
    ?
    did you not go from drum to disc ??????
    never heard of anyon egoing the opposite???

I have don't swap on an 81CABRIO....it snot that bad you hav eto knotch out the rear axle to fit the e brake lines with the new spindle as the lines come in from the back
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by distr0 View Post
    then i fixed them
    meh, I wore down them shoes nice n good...

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    It's not hard but I wouldn't do it if wasn't sure if the one you replacing with is straight. Other then that if it's good go for it, it's a great upgrade.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Quote Originally Posted by spettaa View Post
    did you not go from drum to disc ??????
    never heard of anyon egoing the opposite???

I have don't swap on an 81CABRIO....it snot that bad you hav eto knotch out the rear axle to fit the e brake lines with the new spindle as the lines come in from the back
    Nope.. I went from disc to drum.... mine's an 86 GTI, so it came stock with disc.. and drum parts are easier to find and are more plentiful. and I'm used to doing drum brakes now.

disc is easy too, but not always easy to find rear calipers in good condition

Senior Member mylesp has a little shameless behaviour in the past mylesp's Avatar
    you think i need the whole axle? i have done alot of honda work and i just had to change the hubs to make the rear disk work. but im going to have a look at it i will post all my pics sometime i bought the car stock its starting to look pretty good now :Þ

if your axle is tweaked, you need a new rear axle (I have a whole rear axle for mk2, is this interchangeable with mk3 anyone?)

if it's not, all you would need to do is change stub axles rotors. carriers (another few mk2 items I have) and then your calipers, e-brake cables.. and uhm... from memory I think that's it

no no my axle isnt tweaked! the one on the golf im buying is!! he would fix it but he got a d.u.i. (freaking idiot!! lol)

Senior Member TeejayTDI will become famous soon enough TeejayTDI will become famous soon enough TeejayTDI's Avatar
    ok.. a little off topic, but does anyone know offhand what size the front brake on a MKIV Jetta is?
    I want to upgrade the rear to match it, but I dont want a big brake kit, just want to equalize the brakes for a cleaner look.

I found the info once, but cant find it anymore so thought I'd ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lava_A3 View Post
    i have a thing for penguin panties
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro 6sp Manual
    1983 GTI- R.I.P.
    2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition- Gone but not forgotten

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    ^^

All 2.0s and TDIs
    280mm (11.0") Vented Front Rotors

Senior Member TeejayTDI will become famous soon enough TeejayTDI will become famous soon enough TeejayTDI's Avatar
    Thanx
    1983 GTI- R.I.P.

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TeejayTDI View Post
    ok.. a little off topic, but does anyone know offhand what size the front brake on a MKIV Jetta is?
    I want to upgrade the rear to match it, but I dont want a big brake kit, just want to equalize the brakes for a cleaner look.

I found the info once, but cant find it anymore so thought I'd ask.
    if u do that youre gonna have to put a proportioning valve in.
    Dixie whistlin', Coal Burnin', '01 Jetta TDI-3rd WF 14-SOLD
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

A who in the what now?
    1983 GTI- R.I.P.

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    I'm not ENTIRELY sure here but I think he means you need to upgrade parts to provide the right amount of pressure to the rear calipers. If you upgrade the rears you won't have enough brake fluid going to them when you apply the brakes and the fronts will take even more abuse.

Blake, Luis?
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    I think it's the other way around... same amount of pressure on bigger calipers would equal more braking power therefore making the braking system out of balance.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Hmm ... well either way it's not good

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    basically youd get premature rear brake lock up. and whoops there goes the ass end.
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

Quote Originally Posted by sootbomb View Post
    basically youd get premature rear brake lock up. and whoops there goes the ass end.
    That sounds like fun.. should do that before the first snowfall LOL
    1983 GTI- R.I.P.

it would be fun for sure but curbs would be gettin it

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information