+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY: Antenna Base Replacement (MKIV)

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute

DIY: Antenna Base Replacement (MKIV)

Many MKIV’s have a problem with AM radio reception. More often than not, the culprit is a corroded or entirely burnt antenna base. This guide is shows how to replace your antenna base in fairly short order.

Note - This install was completed on a MKIV Jetta. Although I can't be entirely certain, I believe the instructions would be identical for an MKIV Golf/GTI.

Things you’ll need are:

- Antenna Base (Volkswagen P/N: 1J0-035-501-F)
    - 24mm Wrench
    - A friend to help

1. Nearly the whole replacement is done from the back seat. Begin by laying the rear seats flat to make it easier. This is done by pulling up the seat bottoms and pushing them towards the font seats. Then, pull up the clip near the seatbelt and C-piller, and tip the seatbacks forwards. Remove the headrests and pitch them in the front seat. Push the seatbacks flat.

Note – You may have to move your front seats forward in order to lay the rear seats completely flat.

2. Next, climb in. You need to loosen and remove the bolt holding the base in place. This bolt is located above the headliner. To access it, pull down on the headliner where it meets the back window.

Note – Pulling the headliner down will cause a huge crease to appear along the headliner. DO NOT WORRY, this crease is not permanent and will smooth itself out within minutes of releasing the headliner.

3. Look into the space you’ve created between the roof and the headliner. You will see the bolt that you need to remove in order to take out the old antenna base.

4. Grab your 24mm wrench and place it over the bolt. Loosen the bolt and remove it.

5. You will need to unhook the old antenna next. The connector is located under a piece of foam taped to the roof. Pull down on the foam to reveal the connector.

6. The connector is like a quick-connect, pull on one side of it to remove the antenna base wire from the connector.

7. Once the antenna base is disconnected, remove it from the car by pulling straight up.

Note – The below pics show what a corroded/fried antenna base looks like. Note the white buildup between the base and the antenna body. Also take notice of the residue and severe corrosion on the circuit board.

8. Before inserting the new base into the roof, take a moment to familiarize how the bolt should go back onto the base. Note how the gap in the bolt is reserved for where the wire comes out of the base.

Note – This is very important for when you put the bolt back on; if not affixed properly it is possible to damage the wire on the new base.

9. This is where you’ll need your friend. Have your friend insert the new base into the roof, and hold it firmly into place while you thread on and tighten the bolt from inside the car.

10. After tightening the bolt, ensure that the base has formed a nice seal along the roof of the car. If the base has not seated properly, it is at risk of corroding in the exact same manner as the one you just replaced.

11. Reconnect the antenna base to the connector and thread your antenna back into the base. Test it. If you’ve done it right you should instantly have better AM reception!

12. Push the connector and wire up on top of the headliner making sure it’s far enough that it will not be squished by the headliner.

13. Push the headliner back into place by curling the lip out and tucking it over top of the steel edge. This step can be tricky as it is hard to keep the headliner tucked in. Some force will be needed. The steel lip you need to get it over is shown with the white arrows.

14. Finish the job by putting your rear seats back into the upright position.

Note - As with any Do It Yourself guide, proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your car attempting this install.

Special Thanks go to:

- LuiTuga for providing the car to do this on
    - sootbomb for doing 95% of the install as well as most of the photos
    - rictuga for providing the food, and BBQ'n the day we did this
    - Giver for providing the garage, BBQ and the 2-hour drive to get to his freakin’ house

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    locked for cleanliness
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    HOw come you didn't clean the paint under the antenna?
    2003 Jetta TDI - Sold 1998 GTI VR6 - Sold
    2007 Rabbit - Sold 2008 Jetta - Sold
    2009 Tiguan 4 Motion Comfortline - Wrecked
    2010 Tiguan 4 Motion Highline

how much did the new antenna cost??

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Check the dealership.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member SR20DET is on a distinguished road SR20DET's Avatar
    Bumping this up. Great DIY, but now I still have next to no reception whatsoever. New base, new antenna, still nothing. Local FM stations come in faintly with a lot of static, AM is non-existant.

Any ideas on what to do next? I am going to rip the deck out and ensure everything is connected OK there.
    Dave

2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2011 Kia Sorento AWD

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    are u using a stubby antenna or regular length?

Regular length OEM antenna, brand new from dealer.

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    hm, its gotta be at the back end of the deck or a bad spot in the antenna wire that runs from the roof to the deck.....unless you have a metal plate in your head

It's an aftermarket deck that was installed before I bought the car. Through some more research, it looks like the antenna is amplified and I may need a special adapter from the deck. I'm going to have to rip it apart and investigate further.

Veteran Member brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435 is a glorious beacon of light brendan_435's Avatar
    Yup. You plug one end into your deck, one end into the factory antenna wire, and then you have to wire it to a 12v lead.
    should look something like this
    Likesgehenntodenrepairshoppenalot... or jetta for short

Update - got the right adapter and finally have reception..........except for AM. I have some reception, but not much on AM.
    Dave

2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2011 Kia Sorento AWD

New Member Stuka-Mk2 is on a distinguished road Stuka-Mk2's Avatar
    Great write-up! looking into changing mine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SR20DET View Post
    Bumping this up. Great DIY, but now I still have next to no reception whatsoever. New base, new antenna, still nothing. Local FM stations come in faintly with a lot of static, AM is non-existant.

Any ideas on what to do next? I am going to rip the deck out and ensure everything is connected OK there.
    Http://www.siriuscanada.ca

New Member PranK is on a distinguished road
    Awesome, thanks. I did this on a Mk4 Golf but was unsure about the headlining on the Jetta (or Bora here.)

Thanks.

nicely done, thanks for the detailed DIY

On my 04 mk4 Jetta it was a 22mm

Jerry

Veteran Member pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga's Avatar
    I just changed mine today on a 2001 golf and it was 22mm as well. Raz, you have sone explaining to do! Lol
    01 Golf 4dr 1.8T
    04 Passat Wagon

Just did this 10 min ago. Thanks it helped a lot

Awesome instructions! Took me less than 20 minutes! Used part $45 VW dealer wanted $125 for antenna and base and 3-4 hours labour! These directions saved me lots - thanks!

I know this thread is old, but it was a huge help to me. I recently purchased an 03 Jetta and it had no reception. I fixed my in 15 mins with this. I know many of you have paid high prices for a new base... The real reason for the response to this thread was to provide you a link to where you can purchase a new base for 13 dollars shipped. http://www.hansautoparts.com/1J0035501GAntennaBase.aspx it works perfect and I have seen these prices from 40 to 80 dollars elsewhere. Hope this helps someone else out.

Quote Originally Posted by 03jetta View Post
    provide you a link to where you can purchase a new base for 13 dollars shipped. http://www dot hansautoparts dot com...tennaBase.aspx
    If you google that website name, you'll probably come to the conclusion his cheapest of the cheap parts aren't worth the effort to install. It's your car though, save money now, or spend money again when you have to replace that part again when it burns up, fails, falls apart, etc.

Red face Cheap Antenna Base

So, I am getting ready to replace my antenna base and wondered if this one is still working for you. I saw a lot of bad press about the vendor, but for the price this might be something I would order anyway. Please let me know.

BTW - I am a 65 year old grandmother with a PhD and with good mechanical aptitude. I love fixing things myself. After this I plan to replace the fabric in my door panels so if someone has a good suggestion on the best place to purchase new fabric and the best kind of adhesive to use, I would definitely appreciate it. Additionally, I will need to clean off the old adhesive and the old foam, so if there is a suggestion for the best solvent for that - would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 03jetta View Post
    I know this thread is old, but it was a huge help to me. I recently purchased an 03 Jetta and it had no reception. I fixed my in 15 mins with this. I know many of you have paid high prices for a new base... The real reason for the response to this thread was to provide you a link to where you can purchase a new base for 13 dollars shipped. http://www.hansautoparts.com/1J0035501GAntennaBase.aspx it works perfect and I have seen these prices from 40 to 80 dollars elsewhere. Hope this helps someone else out.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information