+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MK II jetta failed etest

Junior Member Shutterbug is on a distinguished road Shutterbug's Avatar

MK II jetta failed etest

Bit of history. Car sat for 6 months because it wouldnt start. Ended up being some bad grounds. Fixed all that and vroom ...started right up. Idles nice. Runs fine at all rpms. It needs an etest to get my sitcker renewed. Had some exhaust work done. Needed new muffler so now it runs quiet too. My battery was pooched so I put a new battery in it and went for the etest today and it failed. It passed a year and a half ago when I bought it. Here are the readings:

It passed at curb idle.

at high RPM readings were:

HC 147 limit is 75
    CO% 0.48 limit is 0.42
    NO 1316 limit is 864.

Any ideas.

Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 10-26-2006 at 07:07 AM.

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    Well, hydrocarbons are fuel... so you're either running rich, or your catalytic converter needs to be replaced.....

NOx or oxides of nitrogen is ususally supposed to be cleaned up by the cat as well, since you're almost doubling the limit, I 'd say cat... again....

so check into that... Do you have a record of when it was last replaced?

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    Back the timing back to base timing and it should be it for a pass.

PS Phil a bad cat should also fail NOX on the idle test
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    yea but retarding the timing is really a temporary solution, would it not...
    However... If we had results for the idle test... if it was close to fail, I'd still be suspicious of the cat

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    I agree with you but if it passes with the temporary fix he will only have to worry about it in 2 years
    RICE IS:

as much as I agree with you on the temporary solution as the means to get the vehicle on the road within the eyes of the law....

I come from the other school of thought
    if you havent already picked up on it.

I get you Phil, I get you.
    RICE IS:

Can anyone else chime in, help out shutterbug?

Here are the idle results. HC 84 limit 200
    CO% 1.00 limit .51
    Dont know the history on the current cat.
    As I said, the car hadnt run in a long time. Spent a lot of time trying to diagnose the problem. Replaced plugs,wires,coil,cap, rotor, swapped in another ecu. Could the ecu be the problem. Havent had it on the road much since I fixed it (no sticker). So it hasnt driven much with current ecu either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Here are the idle results. HC 84 limit 200
    CO% 1.00 limit .51
    Dont know the history on the current cat.
    As I said, the car hadnt run in a long time. Spent a lot of time trying to diagnose the problem. Replaced plugs,wires,coil,cap, rotor, swapped in another ecu. Could the ecu be the problem. Havent had it on the road much since I fixed it (no sticker). So it hasnt driven much with current ecu either.
    I think you got the CO% backwards... if it passed shouldn't it say .51 limit 1.00?

and you left out the one value we were discussing.. NOx

I doubt the ecu is suspect.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Retarding the timing will lower the NOx, but at the cost of higher HC's.. Since its failing on a few things, I'd be suspicious of the cat as well.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

yup, and since it already has high HC's... I'd say
    cat....

so that's 2....

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuiTuga View Post
    Back the timing back to base timing and it should be it for a pass.

PS Phil a bad cat should also fail NOX on the idle test
    too bad they dont test for nox at idle. need a load on the engine.

oh and cat would be a good place to start. repair facilities will actually check the catalyst efficiency by taking pre and post readings.
    Last edited by SOOTBOMB; 10-26-2006 at 10:18 AM.
    Dixie whistlin', Coal Burnin', '01 Jetta TDI-3rd WF 14-SOLD
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    what year is it? as before 87 you no longer need the etest for plate renewal ???? must be late mkii...that is shitty!!
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Yes I did have the CO% backwards. it passed with .51 with a limit of 1.00.
    And there is not a NO reading at idle. it says N/A.
    It's a 91 Jetta so I do need an etest for renewal

Since the consensus seems to be the cat is the issue, anyone know of an economical place for a new one, or an idea of what one costs?

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    dm service centre is a good repair facility. they cot some oldschool vdub guys there.
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

Is the cat not something I could do myself if I had the part?

u got a torch and a welder? plus any money spent at a repair facility counts towards a conditional pass. 450 i belive is the number.

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sootbomb View Post
    u got a torch and a welder? plus any money spent at a repair facility counts towards a conditional pass. 450 i belive is the number.
    its now $600 on the test!! as of January this year!!
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Well, when I had the muffler put on, I also had a flange repaired on the down pipe to the cat. So, that will come off easy. The other end does not look to be that bad either. Last summer I put the middle muffler on myself. So if I could find a good price on the cat...

well u should be able to get a universal cat from most muffler shops.

I had another reply from a friend not on this forum. He said he had a failed etest on his 87 with similar numbers as my failed test. Turned out his timing was off. He corrected his timing and then passed the etest. How far off would timing have to be to get these results?
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 10-26-2006 at 07:47 PM.

2 degrees.

that could be a factor for sure then. back when I had trouble getting it started in the summer I tried checking timing. Kind of hard to do when it isnt running. It could quite easily be off a couple degrees.

ya which is just a tap. tap tap tappy.

I'll have to check it out tomorrow when its light out. Thanks for all your help. Its much appreciated.

How did you try to check the timing with the engine off? We're not talking about the timing belt timming we're talking about the advance timing and it's always checked with the engine running and warmed up. Still think that the timing will solve the problem the readings aren't high enough to point at the cat yet... sometimes when timing is adjusted properly it will increase all the readings then showig defenatly that the cat is not good. Try adjusting the timing properly and test it again, it's only $15 or $16 to re-test.
    RICE IS:

All I did was turn the crank till I found TDC and looked to see where the timing mark lined up. This was way back when I couldnt get it started. I dont think I adjusted the dizzy at all since it looked pretty close. I dont really remember. Waht I plan to do is let it warm up and then check the timing. Then I will put some injector cleaner in it and take it for a good run.

You'll need a timing gun to check the timing.
    RICE IS:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information