+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY: Replacing Micro DE Foglight Bulbs (MKIV)

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute

DIY: Replacing Micro DE Foglight Bulbs (MKIV)

Although not too many people have Micro DE foglights on their MKIV’s, I recently put together some pics and instructions for a fellow Passat owner (expecting the instructions would be similar), and figured I’d put it into a guide for anyone that has equipped their car (or purchased) with this nice-looking and very functional accessory.

Note – Although this DIY was done based on a Jetta, the instructions should be intentical for a Golf.

Parts you’ll need are as follows:

- Philips screwdriver
    - 12v/55w H3 Bulb of your choice

1. The DE’s are held in with two screws, remove them.

2. Once you have the screws removed, pull the whole bumper vent / light towards you.

3. There is a rubber cover on the back of the light to keep water, dirt and other unwanted things out. Pull on it gently from one side and it should pop right off.

4. There are two wires attached to the light. One of them is the power (brown wire connecting to the white bulb wire), and the other is the ground (blue wire). Pull on them gently to remove the ground wire from the lamp base, and to remove the bulb wire from the holder.

Note – Ground wire does NOT have to be removed to change bulb. I did so I could take the light inside to change the bulb, rather than sitting on the ground.

5. Now that you’ve got that removed, have a look at the back of the light. The bulb is clipped in with a metal tab. To release it, push down on it gently and slide it to the right.

6. Once that is done, the tab should pop open allowing you to lift it up to remove the bulb. Pull out the bulb and pitch it.

7. Place the new bulb into the light making sure not to touch the glass with your fingers.

8. Putting everything back together is the exact opposite of what you did to take it apart.

- Clip bulb back into place with tab
    - Reattach ground wire to lamp base and power wire to new bulb wire
    - Put the rubber cover back over the back of the light
    - Push bumper vent / light back into place
    - Place screws back in and tighten
    - Test!

As with any DIY, I’m not responsible if you wreck something on your car.

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    closed for cleanliness
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information