Closed Thread
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Donor Cars for GenDUB DIY Guides

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute

Looking for Donor Cars for GenDUB DIY Guides

DIY Donor Car Project Currently on Hold

Alright everyone, here’s your chance to get some maintenance taken care of on your car, while saving some money and helping the GenerationDUB community as a whole. sootbomb and myself have been talking, and between his knowledge and mechanical ability and what I know about helping out, snapping pics and writing up guides, we’re looking for cars to conduct work on to create DIY’s for everyone’s benefit. spettaa has offered his garage to be our main base of operation, which is definitely appreciated!

So how do you become a candidate? You post in this thread with something you need or want done on your car, and depending on the complexity, materials needed and a few other factors, we take care of business. DIY’s could encompass anything from simple body and accessory installation, to more complex mechanical maintenance and repair.

There are a few ground rules we’re going to have to put forward before we get this show on the road. A few definite responsibilities on the candidate’s behalf would be:

1. All necessary parts for the work being completed must be purchased and provided at your expense.
    2. Any special tools which are needed that neither of us own or can acquire for free must be provided at your expense.
    3. All work will be done at spettaa's garage in Cambridge.
    4. Although we are providing this service to benefit the GenDub community, it'll be a lot of time and effort on our behalf, and some form of compensation would be appreciated. *Hint* --->

The above list will probably be updated with additional conditions as we put this thing into effect.

So there you have it folks. What do you think? How many people would be interested in this type of thing? Anyone that is looking for a DIY request or work on their car in particular is welcome to post, and if you want to volunteer your car, even better! From a personal standpoint I only really know stuff about the MKIV platform, but this will be a really good stage to help a lot of people and learn a lot in the meantime.

Disclaimers

1. Elected vehicles will be treated with the same care and consent we hold for our own vehicles. Trust that care and time will be taken when performing said repairs on your vehicle, but know that accidents do happen, and we can not take liability for such incidences.

2. Although this idea has been put together FOR the GenerationDUB community, it has not been approved or endorsed by GenerationDUB and their owners / operators.
    Last edited by Raz; 09-26-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    ***This post will be updated occasionally with new DIY requests and completed guides as they are finished***

Requested

DIY Donor Car Project Currently on Hold

Note - Approved guides are sorted by generation, and NOT the order they were received in

Completed Guides

MKIV

Coolant Temperature Sensor Replacement 2.0L
    Serpentine Belt Replacement 2.0 / 1.8T
    Replacing Rear Window Rusty Wedges
    Rear Brake Rotor/Pad Replacement ~ Thanks footose!
    Fuel Filter Replacement 2.0 / 1.8T
    Replacing Micro DE Foglight Bulbs
    Diverter Valve Replacement 1.8T
    Foglight Wiring Harness Install
    Antenna Base Replacement
    Exchanging Floor Mat Clips
    Boost Gauge Install ~ Thanks LuiTuga and rictuga!

MKIII

Joey Modding Headlights (works for all models) ~ Thanks Neb!

MKII

Installing MKIV Shift Boot and Knob (also works for MKI & MKIII) ~ Thanks BellCityDubber!

Last edited by Raz; 09-26-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Veteran Member distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future
    great idea!

and... i do need a new steering rack in the mk2
    *various witty comments and gawky, forum cluttering images*

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    you guys need to do a DIY on "Rebuilding Givers Cabby"
    I'm more censored than Pulp Fiction on a saturday afternoon

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by distr0 View Post
    great idea!

and... i do need a new steering rack in the mk2
    well iff u got access to a hoist for that one..
    Dixie whistlin', Coal Burnin', '01 Jetta TDI-3rd WF 14-SOLD
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    Hey! I want in too! Don't need a helping hand once in a while? My name would look good beside you guy's names...

Great idea, I'm sure there will be a lot of good DIY coming from you guys

PS Giver, you're cabby idea is good but I don't think sootbomb and Raz have that much free time
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Awsome idea.
    2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member dub4life will become famous soon enough dub4life will become famous soon enough dub4life's Avatar
    Alright guys, once I get the 'rocco and all the parts for it, we can start.

First up, is exhaust install.
    Next, rear disc conversion.

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    bring your camera this weekend Roland, we can do the wiring harness DIY, otherwise known as the wiring harness HLDI *have lui do it*
    I'm more censored than Pulp Fiction on a saturday afternoon

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    hmm... wanna do a timing belt on an old TD?

Certified VW/Audi Tech SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB is a name known to all SOOTBOMB's Avatar
    sure. maybe tdi too.
    03 TDI Jetta GLS premium, platinum gray, santa monicas. SOLD...AGAIN '89 pearl white audi 90Q-SOLD
    '01 A6 2.7TQ 6spd-Sold, 03 Yamaha R1, '03 A6 Allroad-SOLD, 2008 A3 2.0T, 2007 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

Veteran Member VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold
    Ive got a nasty fuel leak from my fuel filter plus my engine cant idel correctly..Please elect my car or else :P

we're gonna try and stick to component replacement and not diag. find out what u have to replace and we'll see what we can do.

Veteran Member pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga is a splendid one to behold pfhettinga's Avatar
    What a great idea, it will help so many people in the long run.
    01 Golf 4dr 1.8T
    04 Passat Wagon

Veteran Member distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future distr0 has a brilliant future
    Quote Originally Posted by BellCityDubber View Post
    hmm... wanna do a timing belt on an old TD?
    my timing belt needs to be done as well, already have the parts just no time/too lazy to do it!
    *various witty comments and gawky, forum cluttering images*

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    Now there's a nice fun project and it shouldn't take too long to do either.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Veteran Member Slalom88 is on a distinguished road
    if you were closer, id say get here and do my belt and tensioner :P
    Long Live dub!

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    ^^^Yer just changing the serp belt?? Or replacing the tensioner as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    I have a left front wheel bearing that needs to come out(like 2 months ago)...

I've got the parts, can get the puller, just need somewhere to do it, or have someone else freeze while doing it.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member Adam has a spectacular aura about Adam has a spectacular aura about Adam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by distr0 View Post
    my timing belt needs to be done as well, already have the parts just no time/too lazy to do it!
    perfect...i wanna get my timing belt done as well...

me and andy shoulda taken more/better pics when we did our front end swap...

Edit: another thing i wanna do on my car is run sea foam thru it, but i havent a clue how...
    also, what kind of compensation are you looking for?
    Last edited by Adam; 10-15-2006 at 05:25 PM.
    1999 Saturn SL1 - Low
    1994 BMW 318is For Sale
    1997 Volkswagen Golf CL - SOLD
    1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL Turbo Diesel - RIP
    Get money, Get paid

well i think raz will agree with me on this but we wanna try and keep these to things a majority of people will actually be able to do. t-belts, etc. are things i just do as side jobs. compensation will be in the form of a little cash to cover our time and will be negotiated prior to repair.

Veteran Member Adam has a spectacular aura about Adam has a spectacular aura about Adam's Avatar
    ^^^how much to get u to do my timing belt then?
    1999 Saturn SL1 - Low
    1994 BMW 318is For Sale
    Get money, Get paid

60 bucks plus parts. u dont need to be in a huury. its not an interfering engine.

^^^non interfering engine means that, if it goes then nothing breaks?
    1999 Saturn SL1 - Low
    1994 BMW 318is For Sale
    Get money, Get paid

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    Wow.... I made a joke about doing my timing belt and everyone jumps on the bandwagon..... Yikes... imagine a whole bunch of n00bs trying to do their timing belts because the internet told them how to do it.... eeek...

phil dont worry i wont let them do that. t-belts are my gravy anyways.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Do you guys have a garage to work out of? If so I'll even do the work on the bearing.. I just don't want to freeze outside doing it.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

i think this is a really great idea..

helping other people do work, not only that but that person will learn and everyone will benefit from the walk thru...

i tihnk everyone on my car is fine...the only thind that upsets me is the heat shield rattles...

cant wait to see this plan into action

i would never attempt my own timing belt...ever...lol
    1999 Saturn SL1 - Low
    1994 BMW 318is For Sale
    Get money, Get paid

Member rdelario is on a distinguished road
    Sweet!!! ^_^
    2001, Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    Do you guys have a garage to work out of? If so I'll even do the work on the bearing.. I just don't want to freeze outside doing it.
    if u can give me the spindle for a day ill replace it for u.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information