+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Handy Wheel/Tire Calculator

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar

Handy Wheel/Tire Calculator

Very useful little page

Shows you wheel/tire combinations.
    Click HERE for the link.

Thanks to Andy on the GTI-VR6 list for sharing.
    Last edited by soundwave; 03-23-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    12V

Veteran Member TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA's Avatar
    How do I use this to calculate how many TILES I will need to redo my bathroom?
    I like STUFF

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    If you buy 4 new drag radials for 800 then you can only purchase 400 worth of tiles from home depot if I have it correctly
    I'm more censored than Pulp Fiction on a saturday afternoon

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboABA
    How do I use this to calculate how many TILES I will need to redo my bathroom?
    Nyuck nyuck nyuck. I can't even blame that typo on sausage fingers.........pure porridge head maneuver.

EDIT: Thread title has been corrected for spelling error.
    12V

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    Gees, I've checked out this thing so many times and I always forget to leave a comment. Thanks for the wicked link Kooz! VERY helpful and easy to use.

It is really helpful. Personally, I always get confused with positive and negative offsets. This link takes the guesswork out of it.
    12V

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    Yeah, same here. I could never really grasp exactly how it worked, but like you said, this makes it easy as pie. It's nice that it even gives you a report below saying how much your speedo will be out, and whether it'll be closer to the shock or if it will poke out more.

I want to play around and put some extreme numbers in there just to see if it gives any warnings. Perhaps squarehead's 215 tire stretched onto his 10" wide rears?

IMO, the "stretched" look is horrible.
    12V

It won't let me do it. Whenever I try to put in 215/45/17 and then make the wheel 17x10 it automatically changes the tire to a 255 width.

Oh and I agree wholeheartedly. I don't like stretch one bit at all. What kills me even worse is when people have stretch, poke AND a gap between the tire and the lip of the wheel. There's a picture that gets posted on Vortex every few months and I die a little inside every time I see it.

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Anyone know for sure what the stock tire size on a 91 GTI 8v is??
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons
    Anyone know for sure what the stock tire size on a 91 GTI 8v is??
    Here you go:
    OEM VW Wheel Reference Page
    12V

Quote Originally Posted by Kooz
    It's too bad that page doesn't list many tire sizes in their proper format. It's the first page I checked when I saw is post, but all it has is the size of wheel.

PS. That's a thread I've been asking to be made "stickied" forever. Do it!

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    Yeah, that wheel reference page doesn't have any tire info.. Mine came with these:
    http://www.4130-products.com/step/wh...lverstone.html
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    a little stretch never hurt anyone...
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Go to something like TireRack.com and enter the Make, Year and Model. It will then tell you the Original Equipment. I took the liberty of entering your 1991 GTi 8V wparsons, and it provided me with:

195/50-15

Combine this with the wheel size and offset (14x6 +38ET), and the "Handy Wheel/Tire Calculator" page will point you in the right direction in terms of "plus sizing" your wheel/tire setup.
    Last edited by Kooz; 04-10-2006 at 06:22 PM.
    12V

Quote Originally Posted by Raz
    ...PS. That's a thread I've been asking to be made "stickied" forever. Do it!
    Done
    12V

Go to something like TireRack.com and enter the Make, Year and Model. It will then tell you the Original Equipment. I took the liberty of entering your 1991 GTi 8V wparsons, and it provided me with:

195/50-15

Combine this with the wheel size and offset (14x6 +38ET), and the "Handy Wheel/Tire Calculator" page will point you in the right direction in terms of "plus sizing" your wheel/tire setup.
    thanks!! I never even though of trying tirerack.. I just kept googling it, and never found anything useful.
    flickr

Done
    Wicked awesome.

Junior Member Vixenated is on a distinguished road Vixenated's Avatar

Love this site.

TDIBadass needs to check his inbox'es.

Huh?

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    ^^^lol wtf?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Veteran Member Adam has a spectacular aura about Adam has a spectacular aura about Adam's Avatar
    the site doesnt work anymore...
    1999 Saturn SL1 - Low
    1994 BMW 318is For Sale
    1997 Volkswagen Golf CL - SOLD
    1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL Turbo Diesel - RIP
    Get money, Get paid

Just tried it, works fine over here.

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    ADAMCL is using dial-up and lost signal!

Working fine here!
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Veteran Member ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW has a spectacular aura about ZIPN VW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    thanks!! I never even though of trying tirerack.. I just kept googling it, and never found anything useful.
    Accually, the stock tire size for a 92 GTI 8v is 185/60/14 since the 8v came with a 14" Teardrops.

Is you were to run 15" rims like the 16v, then the tire size would be 195/50/15.
    Under Pressure

Senior Member dubskii is infamous around these parts dubskii's Avatar
    I have recently received my rims which are 16x8 et 15. I bought some tires for them.. 205/40/16. I have a 98 Jetta. Will all 4 wheels be sticking out? I will be installing coilovers and I am kinda sketchy on the fact that I will be rubbing.. so i wont be able to go as low as I would like..

I will eventuall pull or roll my fenders (i will see what I have to do once they are on)

anyone got any pictures of something like this?? or comments about how they will sit?

Thanks again
    thread killa!!

That's a pretty wide wheel with a super-low offset. I'm expecting you'll have quite a bit of poke. Do you know the offset of your current wheels, as well as wheel width and tire size? This calculator will tell you how much further out these will stick than your current wheels.

It will? Well i beleive my stock orlandos are 195/60/14. Not sure about the offset. They are the stock rims soo i bet its pretty high..

I will play around with this calculator because i did not know it will tell you the difference between the two

edit: awesome, I still cant get an image in my mind but I can understand it a bit more. Thanks raz
    thread killa!!

Ok, looked it up.

Orlando
    14x6
    ET45
    195/60/R14

New Wheels
    16x8
    ET15
    205/40/16

The wheel and tire calculator says: CLICK HERE

I'm surprised to be honest. It says that it will only stick out an additional 1.4" over the stock wheels. I would have thought that with 30mm less offset and the wheel being 2" wider, all of it would be sticking out. With 1.4" though, that'd probably be close to flush or only slightly poking.

Thanks man, I am surprised too. I thought I would be sticking out alot more than 1.4" over the stock wheels. Tires are getting mounted tomorrow so maybe I will put one on the car to see how it sits.

ill see how it goes, maybe snap a picture
    thread killa!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information