+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I Screwed ?

Senior Member bigcol is an unknown quantity at this point bigcol's Avatar

Am I Screwed ?

Well here's my story....

I decide to go ahead and make the change from the Michelin Pilots to my snow tires. I have one lock bolt thats refusing to come off, so I decide to put all my strength into this baby and all I do is end up stripping the lock bolt and the lock key.

So I have done more harm than good.

What are my options ?

1.Tried the Air Gun......useless
    2. Tried the Torx Wrench.....same
    3. Is the only way to get this last bolt off, to drill it out ? Would WD40
    or Liquid Wrench be of any use ?

Any ideas ?

I still have a bit of tread left on the key, so I am thinking of maybe covering the rotor in liquid wrench.

This thing is seazzzzed...

Thanks
    Colin

PS.. I am the guy driving around Mississauga with three snow tires and one Monte Carlo

This is the actual wheel in my avtar...

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar
    Try hitting up a wheel/tire shop. I'm sure that they have some "goodies" that can help you remove that stubborn stud.

Wheel & Tire Zone maybe?
    12V

Veteran Member Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver has much to be proud of Giver's Avatar
    If they can't help you'll have tod rill it out, that's one good thing about our lugs.
    I'm more censored than Pulp Fiction on a saturday afternoon

If I drill it out, will I ruin the rotor ?
    VW 01 1.8 T AWD Upsolute

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcol
    If I drill it out, will I ruin the rotor ?
    It's not the rotor you should be worried about, it's the hub

Personally, I think that drilling it out would take 3-4 years. I know that there are "kits" that help you remove stripped bolts. I know Canadian Tire has them, but I don't know what the quality is like.

I still recommend taking it to a wheel/tire shop.
    12V

It maybe the easiest to give the guys at wheel and tire zone a buzz. Or else hours of pulling hair excersises..
    VW 01 1.8 T AWD Upsolute

Junior Member boostaddict is on a distinguished road
    weld a socket to it and you're set.
    slower than turboaba

Yeah but I dont want to destroy the rim, plus I cant weld..
    VW 01 1.8 T AWD Upsolute

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    It's not the rotor you should be worried about, it's the hub

Personally, I think that drilling it out would take 3-4 years. I know that there are "kits" that help you remove stripped bolts. I know Canadian Tire has them, but I don't know what the quality is like.
    Pure GARBAGE. I had a bolt stuck in my manifold and I broke three of these removeal right off inside, and they are hardened, so as soon as you break it off your absolutely screwed. PLUS you will need to remove the hub anyway and put it on a drill press so you can get the pilot hole straight

I still recommend taking it to a wheel/tire shop.
    definately. They will have something and it will probably cost like $30 bux. Way cheaper than a new hub

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    try those bits where as you screw them into the bolt they force the bolt out. I did this with a stripped bolt when i was doing my brakes and it did the trick....granted the bolt was smaller but it doesnt hurt to try. I bought the bit from CT.

also, dont jump to conclusions about the hub like some people have....you probably didnt do any harm...heck how can you if the bolt is still in there and you probably havn't even turned it since it's stuck.

worse comes to worse, if the hub SEEMS stripped, you can buy a tap and tap out the hole...I did this when I thought I stripped my hubs and it made them like brand new. Problem is it's not easy finding an M14 x 1.5 tap. I tracked one down at Brafasco...but it cost a pretty penny...about $40 if I remember correctly....but i use it every season when I change from winter to summer wheels and vice versa....clean shit out since I use loctite on my studs for the summer wheels. Worth the investment.
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

Veteran Member VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooz
    Try hitting up a wheel/tire shop. I'm sure that they have some "goodies" that can help you remove that stubborn stud.

Wheel & Tire Zone maybe?

You'd be surprised...If its the bolt with the wheel lock...theres no use...you'd have to litterly cut it out or melt it(melting it would ruin your whole wheel pretty much...)

I had the same problem when I tryed changing someones tire at Mississauga Auto....its a hassle...only thing I can suggest is cracking it with a hammer and that pointy tool thing(forgot what its called)

Veteran Member ///MCON is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by boostaddict
    weld a socket to it and you're set.

Some one knows the tricks .

If you do drill it out your hub should be fine just find center and use a smaller drill then the bolt. The only thing you need after is a tap to chase the tread down. I personally would go will the weld trick is fast and never fails
    1988 E30 M3 - UBER CAR
    \"Wolf in wolves clothing\" Tiff

2002 Chev Malibu - The beater
    1997 Jetta GT - RIP

Veteran Member TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA is just really nice TurboABA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by footose

Pure GARBAGE. I had a bolt stuck in my manifold and I broke three of these removeal right off inside, and they are hardened, so as soon as you break it off your absolutely screwed. PLUS you will need to remove the hub anyway and put it on a drill press so you can get the pilot hole straight
    That's funny... I've used them many times with excellent results.
    It all depends on who uses them and especially who drills the hole (and with what)
    I like STUFF

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    That's funny... I've used them many times with excellent results.
    It all depends on who uses them and especially who drills the hole (and with what)
    Well thats exactly what I said..

Unless your going to take the hub off and use a drill press, you more than likely will snap it off like I did... espically if you have never used / done it before.

Member a67driver is on a distinguished road a67driver's Avatar
    most wheel shops have a snapon kit for just this senario...its different shape
    cutting sockets , pound one on and it cuts into the offending lug so it cannot strip. if you were closer to brantford you could use mine

Guys thanks for all your replies, I have tried everything that I can think of. I think I am going to bring it over to Wheel & Tire Zone tomorrow and let them do the drilling or what ever they can.

Thanks Again...
    VW 01 1.8 T AWD Upsolute

A shop can help for sure...I have lost the lock nut and they were even able to help...do it sooner than later safe yourself some time and cash. it will take them no time and you probably 30 bucks

Veteran Member Toronto Vento is infamous around these parts Toronto Vento is infamous around these parts
    Everyone assumes that lock lugs are the shiznit cause thieves can't steal the rims...from what I hear, these things frustrate the owners more than the thieves. Take the thing to a shop, they'll fix ya right up.

And you don't need a drill press to drill straight...just a steady hand (and not have a beer in one hand while trying to drill with the other).
    Diesel - because real cars don't use spark plugs.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information