+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 8V Guru's answer this...

Junior Member QDub is on a distinguished road

8V Guru's answer this...

Anyone with a 1.8L Digi II 8v ever put on a 270 Autotech Hydro Cam, and the Performance Cam Sprocket combined with the Itermediate Pulley? What kinda power should I expect?

I know its just an 8v, but Autotech claims you can see 7-13 Hp from just the cam alone, tho I prob wont be that lucky, with all those parts mentioned, what kinda changes in power should I see?

Thanks in Adavnce.

Veteran Member BigBore is on a distinguished road
    actually the autotech 270 is pretty good timed correctly from what ive seen in a 2L. same cam

Do you know if the Adj Cam Sprocket add's power or just helps deliver it better?

And thanks for the input on the Cam, i'm excited bout trying it, heard nothing but good things.

Senior Member )GTI(Jeff)1.8T( is infamous around these parts )GTI(Jeff)1.8T( is infamous around these parts
    swap a 1.8T
    H2sport
    \'02 GTI 1.8T
    Hardcoredubs.com

Veteran Member ///MCON is on a distinguished road
    I have the autotech 270 hydro in my X-flow. Its a nice starter cam and doesn't throw codes. It is recommended that you change the springs as well. I would recommend getting something bigger, like a 272 / 276. Reason: The 270 is actually measured as a 266 and it is only a mild cam. If you’re trying to pep up to motor the 270 is not that much better. Another question you should ask before you select a cam is what type of driving you do. Cams and driving style are hand and hand. If your using the car as a daily driver and you want to wake the motor up a bit the 270 is a great choice. If you like driving the wheels off the car get the 276. Cam gears just move your power band up or down in the rev range. It will make a power difference in the feel of the car, but will not make more power.

What I think would be best for you!

After you spend the money on your 1.8v 8v your still going to be questioning the gains and the money spent on the car. Consider this

New Cam = $200
    Springs & Retainers = $200
    Pulleys = $ 150
    Plugs and other minor shit = $100
    Labor = $ 300 - $400
    Total cost = $ 1000 ish

Now add the gains 90hp + about 9hp = 99hp. Its not really worth the money. Now if your still working on a budge for making power and the 1.8t swap is out do the VW TRUSTY 2.0L swap

Used Motor, ECU, wire harness and Tranny with 80000 KMS = $ 700 - 800
    Other shit you will use = $250 - $350
    labor = $1000-$1250
    Total = $ 2000 ish

Now you will have about 115 hp. Yes you’re spending some more money but you’re making 15 hp more and you’re getting a better motor so the car will last much longer. You also have more options for possible future mods like a BBM SC or a NS SC or low boost turbo or NA with cams. If you can do your own labor you’re really going to save money with the 2.0L swap.

Spend some time reading the forums at www.vwvortex.com they have endless amount of info about the 2.0L swap and bolt on parts. The more research you do, the happier you are with your choices. You also can save a lot of money if your know what your looking for.

Good luck with your possible VW project

[/b]
    1988 E30 M3 - UBER CAR
    \"Wolf in wolves clothing\" Tiff

2002 Chev Malibu - The beater
    1997 Jetta GT - RIP

Junior Member mark ll vr is on a distinguished road
    skooled

Quote Originally Posted by mark ll vr
    skooled
    Hey Adam, where did anyone get skooled? These are FREE PARTS and I just wanna toss em on to gain a lil more omph till I decide to swap to a better engine. Now's not the time, could have been...but its not the time.

You have to also take in account my goals. I DONT want the fastest car, I just want something within the 200-250 Hp mark that would make a decent daily driver. Hense the later on swap.

Ok...here we go....

GTi 1.8L 8V Digi II = 105hp So..... spending 2000$ for 10 more Hp as opposed to 1000$ (in your opinion) for my possible 9....is better? Maybe for engine life, but once again, i'll swap sooner or later.

Free

-Autotech 270 Cam, dyno'ed and proven 7-9 Hp

-Adj. Cam Sprocket - Retard or Advance based on preference of Low End or Top End Power

Not Free

-MK4 Bildon Lifters - OEM is 84.5 g and Bildons are 48 g, lighter lifters mean less work for the motor, helps rev faster (not add power...) Worked out to somewhat half a pound weight saved in the valvetrain I need these, mine are currently fucked up. Cheap as hell tho, 6$ a lifter, need 8.

-AMS Chip - Heard great words of this, found someone willing to sell theirs for 50$, new is 300$ Spose to do wonders to an 8v.

-Autotech HD Springs - As you said, when changing to a more agressive cam, change the springs.

All these parts are not as expensive as you say, I think you kinda fudged the numbers a bit to make your 2.0 swap justified.

Question: Do you have aDual outlet manifold, dual downpipe , and high flow cat? Cuz all cars but the GTi/Gli/Carrat had single...the point is, Autotech basically says that most cam upgrades are pretty much nominal without the Dual mani and Downpipe...maybe your a single and its not that pleasing to you? I heard nothing but good shit bout this cam.

Thanks for the advice on Vortex, but i've been an active member for 3+ years...

If anyone got skooled, it was you Adam

Ehem. You vs. Jeff 10pm on Wed... on an unmentioned street on the way home, hmmm lemme guess, your tires were bald?

Skooled

Senior Member hurley3251 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by )GTI(Jeff)1.8T(
    swap a 1.8T
    ya no doubt, fixes everything ha
    01\' Jetta 1.8t, k05 turbo upgrade, nitrous express, etc...

\"Hey if i can\'t spool the turbo while doing reverse donuts, it\'s oviously a worthless pile of crap.\"

\"So Jens, with all the upgrades you could probably take a stock civic right?\"

i have a sweet vr soon to be wide bodied and turbo so you enjoy your 8 valve hahahahah and if you raced me it would just be a big waste of time and gas for me hahahahahahah

bump

Senior Member )GTI(Jeff)1.8T( is infamous around these parts )GTI(Jeff)1.8T( is infamous around these parts
    ok everyone just calm down...
    H2sport
    \'02 GTI 1.8T
    Hardcoredubs.com

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    i have a sweet vr soon to be wide bodied and turbo so you enjoy your 8 valve hahahahah and if you raced me it would just be a big waste of time and gas for me hahahahahahah
    we'd race ya auto-x cuz ur nose heavy fat assed car would be pushin straight for the cones! so hahahah that!

Quote Originally Posted by jetta'd
    we'd race ya auto-x cuz ur nose heavy fat assed car would be pushin straight for the cones! so hahahah that!
    The downfall of the VR. Main reason why I will never get one
    1988 E30 M3 - UBER CAR

1997 Jetta GT - RIP

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NARC
    The downfall of the VR. Main reason why I will never get one
    Don't forget insurance for all you "under 25'ers" The VR6 can be setup so that it doesn't understeer "as much". I know of several MKIII VR6's that autocross and they have been able to tweak the handling of the vehicle. Spring rates, ride heights, and tire pressures are all critical.

Having all that extra weight over the front wheels isn't always a downfall..........it is a FWD don't forget!

Jim T. on the GTI-VR6 list is/was into auto-x for the longest time. He had his MKIII VR6 Jetta dialed in really well. You can learn a lot from guys like him.........guys that have experienced it first hand.
    12V

i have an 1.8L 8v wanna race me?

NEXT SPRING ILL RUIN YOU WHEN I GET MY TURBO

8 VAVLES ARE FOR POOR PEOPLE

Most people that pep up a 8v are building a foundation for engine building. This foundation can be built on, so more power can be made with better motors in the future. I am a starving student and I don't have a boat load of money. At the time money wasn't the issue it was knowledge. I did my 8v because I wanted to learn how to build motors. I rebuilt the whole motor myself from oil pan to valve cover. It has lasted 30000 kms of my abuse with putting a dime in to it. The mighty 8V is a motor which 1000's of people love. Time after time VR6 and 1.8T people say that they miss the 8V because they were actually able to beat the living snot out of it and not have to worry about it.

ALL DIE HARD Vdubbers DROVE and tuned there own 8V.

8V are for the elite
    1988 E30 M3 - UBER CAR

1997 Jetta GT - RIP

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    ALL DIE HARD Vdubbers DROVE and tuned there own 8V.

8V are for the elite

Veteran Member DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS has much to be proud of DrZEUS's Avatar
    I owned an '89 8V and "beat the snot out of it". The end result was an oil burning, smoke puffing, oil leaking POS. I wouldn't call that bullet proof.
    2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro | 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg

NEXT SPRING I'LL RUIN YOU
    Adam i'm sorry I got you mad because I mentioned Jeff's raping of you.

And yes, i'm very poor Way to get personal and show everyone your maturity mr "can't break 15.20 with a mkII VR6".

And yes, my car is shit slow, we all know that...but I never mentioned 8v and the word "fast" ever in the same sentence.

NEXT SPRING ILL RUIN YOU WHEN I GET MY TURBO
    the key word here is next spring, and next spring pigs might fly as well, next spring i might have jets on the back of my bumper to make me go faster. next spring lol all that means to me is you have nothing and your a shit talker, talk shit when you have something to back it up with.

but i`ll tell you what next spring i wont even own this car (check the classifieds) will you be able to destroy what i have comming next?

thing is i`ll have nothing to lose anyway, i have a SOHC 8valve 1.8L hahaha

Veteran Member Susannah has a spectacular aura about Susannah has a spectacular aura about Susannah's Avatar
    lmao~!
    WOB - DR786

GTI:The quintessential hatch back of the 21st century. Known for the genocide of Hondas and punk ass asian kids who think Civics are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZEUS
    I owned an '89 8V and "beat the snot out of it". The end result was an oil burning, smoke puffing, oil leaking POS. I wouldn't call that bullet proof.
    But you had endless amounts of fun!
    1988 E30 M3 - UBER CAR

1997 Jetta GT - RIP

Veteran Member Santas1.8T is on a distinguished road Santas1.8T's Avatar
    But you had endless amounts of fun!
    and endless amounts of showers and laundry to get that burning oil, gasoline smell off your clothes
    2000 1.8T Jetta, upsolute, Brullen turbo back, Forge 006.

2005 Ford Mustang GT, Steeda Custom 94 octane tune, Custom Intake, SCT X-Cal 2, Tri-ax short shifter, MagnaFlow X-pipe w/high flow cats

Junior Member forced4 is on a distinguished road
    My 8v has 305,000K on it, took 3 tanks of NAWZ, Multiple burnouts and doesn't burn a lick of oil. It even has the original Clutch.

hey q dub tell your boyfriend turbo aba that you can defend yourself and i ran a 15 flat on shit tires and you would be lucky if you could ride a 17 flat and i would put money on that and it doesnt bother me that jeff beat me because his car is faster than mine but the fact is that my car is and will always be faster than yours....after i get my turbo we will see what your bf turbo aba has to say then....................

bumped

Veteran Member Santas1.8T is on a distinguished road Santas1.8T's Avatar
    hey q dub tell your boyfriend turbo aba that you can defend yourself and i ran a 15 flat on shit tires and you would be lucky if you could ride a 17 flat and i would put money on that and it doesnt bother me that jeff beat me because his car is faster than mine but the fact is that my car is and will always be faster than yours....after i get my turbo we will see what your bf turbo aba has to say then....................
    :O

2000 1.8T Jetta, upsolute, Brullen turbo back, Forge 006.

2005 Ford Mustang GT, Steeda Custom 94 octane tune, Custom Intake, SCT X-Cal 2, Tri-ax short shifter, MagnaFlow X-pipe w/high flow cats

Veteran Member Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz has a reputation beyond repute Kooz's Avatar
    12V

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information