+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Engine Bay

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar

Question Cleaning Engine Bay

My engine bay needs some TLC in the worst way and I'm thinking about cleaning it myself.

I just read the sticky on this forum and it's very detailed and helpful. However, I'm wondering if there is any additional stuff I need to look out for on the 1.8T engine. I'm going to cover the Short Ram and the Ignition Coils. Is there anything else I have to worry about?

Also, what type of degreaser do you recommend?

Picture of the dirty engine. This was taken last year, so it's much dirtier now

2003 GTi K04 Equipped and APR Tuned | My Flickr |

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    I didn't even bother covering the coils. I just took the filter off, and covered the MAF.

Engine degreaser plus a sponge.. and then a light mist of water to rinse.

Moderator Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas has a reputation beyond repute Ricas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by footose View Post
    I didn't even bother covering the coils. I just took the filter off, and covered the MAF.

Engine degreaser plus a sponge.. and then a light mist of water to rinse.
    Which brand of Engine degreaser did you use?

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar

I use the above - Gunk Gel Degreaser...works very well IMO. I use my Engine cover (heck its painted) hence it covers the bulk of the area. I also cover the alternator, batter and remove the filter. As Harry said, a light spray after about 15 mins of soaking. I usually do this in a car wash bay, as you really don't the chemicals running down ur driveway where you kids play and stuff.

Once I am done spraying, I usually spray some salad dressing, I mean WD-40, so it gets some of the moisture of any electric contacts on the battery terminal, alternator etc.

I don't want to use my engine cover, since I don't use it normally. I was thinking about using an engine degreaser that is environmentally safe so I can do this on my driveway. I hear Simple Green is alright.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal has a brilliant future RazKal's Avatar
    Thats cool...I am thinking of switching to an Organic...citrus based degreaser.

The environmental stuff is probably not as good as the stuff with chemicals, but as long as it does a good job, that's all I care about.

[EDIT] Probably going to pick this up at the local CT:

Link

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute Zuber Speed has a reputation beyond repute
    Id cover up anything electrical, coils/maf/relays, etc
    24v

Veteran Member Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber has a reputation beyond repute Punjabi_Dubber's Avatar
    meguiars apc is really good as well.

Veteran Member vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento has a brilliant future vdubvento's Avatar
    I've used Simple Green, and it worked really good.
    Mk3 Jetta 20V | B5.5 Passat TDI 5MT | OEM+ | chopshop |
    moar.

Moderator EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay has a reputation beyond repute EMSbyDay's Avatar
    rag damp with water an some patience.

Veteran Member Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78 has much to be proud of Kei78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSbyDay View Post
    rag damp with water an some patience.

yup, i follow that up with meguiars interior cleaner to blacken all the plastic parts... been doing this to my jetta for years and just started this on my golf. once you get into the habbit, future clean ups are much quicker....

Junior Member Gargamelmk2 is on a distinguished road Gargamelmk2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubvento View Post
    I've used Simple Green, and it worked really good.
    x2..works great, let it sit a bit, maybe scrub any real grimmy spots + non toxic to the environment and animals
    The only time you should look down on someone is when you're helping them up..

www.peisportbikes.ca

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricas View Post
    The environmental stuff is probably not as good as the stuff with chemicals, but as long as it does a good job, that's all I care about.

[EDIT] Probably going to pick this up at the local CT:

Link

use the regular simple green....this stuff leaves marks on any paint it touches from my experience....kinda fogs the clear finish on it. soak it with simple green or mean green, let sit and rinse. now i used my power washer from about 10 feet and it cleaned up all purdy like
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Thanks for the tip!

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

So I finally cleaned the engine today. Got a couple of plastic bags and covered the MAF, Intake and Alternator. Sprayed the engine cleaning solution on the engine, waited about 10 minutes and hosed it down with low pressure water. Started up the car and let it idle for a while.

Then I got some armor all and cleaned the hoses etc.

In conclusion, it's a very easy thing to do that has good pay off when all done

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future justboj has a brilliant future
    did you use armor all on the engine cover and battery cover too?
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 Unitronic Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboj View Post
    did you use armor all on the engine cover and battery cover too?
    Yes, I did.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall has a reputation beyond repute jasonsmeall's Avatar
    lookin good!
    2003 Jetta TDI - Sold 1998 GTI VR6 - Sold
    2007 Rabbit - Sold 2008 Jetta - Sold
    2009 Tiguan 4 Motion Comfortline - Wrecked
    2010 Tiguan 4 Motion Highline

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    looks good. i used to do that too!!
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    What engine cleaning solution did you end up using?

The one Peter gave me. I forget the name. I also made sure I did it on the street instead of the driveway.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

The best hose/engine bay dressup has to be Adam's Polish In and Out spray if you have a few bucks or 303 Aerospace. Makes your hosing look brand new.

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    I like this + a nice power washer (those nice big heated diesel ones are badass to use with this stuff)

@ costco....
    works awesome...

found out about it from here

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3419297&page=1

worked great on the diesel..... until it got durty again... stupid black tar oil....

I have a nice Gas power washer, but I didn't want to use it on my engine.

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    dun be scurd....

Well, I read not to use it! Plus the engine wasn't too dirty, what I did clean it enough And I was scurd, but when I started it up I was relieved

I ain't even mad.

RSLearningServices.ca

nah. you can use it... I did it on my diesel so I didn't have ignition stuff to worry about... if I did, I'd consider using some WD and some dielectric grease just to keep the ignition components moisture free

Veteran Member uncookedgrub will become famous soon enough uncookedgrub's Avatar
    gas in a skwirt bottle and a smoke in yer yap ric. ask langer we got the poor cabby bay sritpped clean of all the undercoating and greasey shit of the ages . there was dirt from jesus in that thing.
    beer drinkin an fist fightin my way to a pub near you

U are not supposed to use a high pressure wash on the engine bay...if u can adjust it to a low-medium setting...then its not too bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information