+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Blew my engine today

Senior Member thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt's Avatar

Blew my engine today

So yeah, coming back from Euroline, lots of black smoke... spilled oil, and coolant all over the road. Wasnt even boosting, just driving normally. Seems like a rod punched a hole the size of my fist through the rear of the lower block.

So any advice? Alex @ euroline says the engine is unfixable, and i need to drop a new engine in. Jason @ foreign says he can rebuild the lower block no problem. (although he hasn't actually seen the engine, hes just assuming by how i described the damage to him) So yea.. help? what would you guys do?

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    hole in block you need new block. you just need a new bottom end head should be ok. trade turbos?

can you list the parts/specs of your kit? how much boost?
    Foreign Automotive (519)894-9551 | Chopshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuber Speed View Post
    ....back when I was hardcore

Senior Member thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt has much to be proud of thekatt's Avatar
    Why would I trade turbos...?

Moderator soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute soundwave has a reputation beyond repute
    just joking

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    It sucks right now, but throw a set of rods in, and it will be better than new
    Last edited by Jurjen; 07-02-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

were you running a fuel pump? air/fuel gauge?

lol, sorry - im a little upset so i didnt pick up on the sarcasm

I was running 10psi.

From the kinetic site,

- Garrett GT35
    - Kinetic Motorsport 24V VR6 Manifold
    - TiAL 38mm Wastegate
    - Kinetic 3" Stainless Steel Downpipe
    - Kinetic 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe - AFE Re-useable Air Filter
    - Kinetic Motorsport Oil Feed / Drain Kits
    - Siemens 630cc Injectors
    - Eurodyne 630cc Flashloaded Software
    - Kinetic Motorsport Hi-Output Fuel Pump Kit
    - Kinetic Motorsport Intercooler and Piping
    - Kinetic Motorsport Silicone Hoses and Stainless Steel Clamps
    - Kinetic Motorsport 24V 2.8L MKIV Head Spacer Kit
    - NGK Spark Plugs
    - Hardware/gaskets/nuts/bolts etc...

but you were running unitronics software right?

yep unitronomicronics

Yea, and the fucking tow truck driver messed up my front bumper too. will need to be remolded/resprayed

where is the car now? can we get some pictures of the carnage?

Car is at eurolines shop for now. I'm thinking its probably best to send it out to Jason. But i know hes crazy busy for the next month.. so i guess no Waterfest for me How is Alex @ Euroline? Would you leave it in his hands - or is it best to get Jason on it?

and I didnt grab pics, sorry, but you could fit your fist into the hole in the engine... The hole is a couple inches down and left (towards cyliner #1) of the actual turbocharger.

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    A wouldn't let Alex touch anything related to VR and turbo. Plus regardless Jason built it let him fix it would be better .

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Veteran Member Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen has a reputation beyond repute Jurjen's Avatar
    Just take it to Jason, he built the car, and he already found a short block for you 5 minutes after you called (I was in the shop when you called) - He feels bad, he'll bend backwards to help you.
    "A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Lava_A3 View Post
    A wouldn't let Alex touch anything related to VR and turbo. Plus regardless Jason built it let him fix it would be better .
    Cool, thats what my gut was telling me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurjen View Post
    Just take it to Jason, he built the car, and he already found a short block for you 5 minutes after you called (I was in the shop when you called) - He feels bad, he'll bend backwards to help you.
    I will be going back to jason, thanks. So uhh, whos got the mad connections on tow trucks to get my car from toronto to kitchener?

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    Damn that sucks man

get caa 100$ you get like a few tows a year 200km each

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    get caa 100$ you get like a few tows a year 200km each
    x2 Gonna be gettin' me some before WF!

Funny thing is I was planning on booking my WF hotel tonight. I am going to pray to the gods that Jason can finish it in time...

@soundwave this is the only pic i grabbed of the asshat tow truck driver

Veteran Member Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3 has a reputation beyond repute Lava_A3's Avatar
    One word. Flatbed

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    VAGKRAFT - Dead President - Hip Hop --> 141.0 dB
    Jet plane (near) --> 140dB
    WF15 - Master P - Them Jean --> 135.9 dB
    Jet plane (from 100 feet away) --> 135.0dB
    Threshold of pain --> 125 dB
    OT

You close to Hamilton?

I fucking hate Hamilton

That is all

Yea I told him to call a flat bead. But he was so sure that it would be okay he spent like 20 minutes convincing me he could do it - and how he would put rails on the back as well to lift the rear of the car up about 8 inches. finally i gave in - and low and behold, he cracked my front bumper.

Senior Member xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx's Avatar
    CAA takes a week to kick in....
    bad buzz on that man, ur car was a beauty... keep us posted on this, can't believe that happened so soon into the turbo
    1998 VW Golf 2.0T ( R.I.P. )
    Dubbin, It's a Life Style

@xliljayx thanks man

ill carry the car to jasons.. on my back.

Veteran Member ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07 is a splendid one to behold ipop07's Avatar
    get someone with caa to come with you there and caa will take it.. sorry to hear about the engine, and the dumbass who broke your bumper...
    '01 A4 2.1T / '98 Audi A4 Car Trailer / '96 Audi A4 2.8 (parting out) / '06 VW Touareg 3.2L / '99 Honda Civic EK 1.8L
    www.Novustech.ca

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    that sucks man! whoever you get to fix it will be able to tell you what failed right away (it sounds like you snapped a rod).

How many KM's on your car? How much boost were you running?

Failures like this don't always happen when you are actually boosting, they typically happen when you are just driving around and the rod has fatigued so much that eventually it just lets go. One of my rods let go way back.

@footose Car has like 92k on it... and I was running 10psi. What kind of damage was there when you snapped your rod? Did you need to rebuild anything?

Im working in Kitchener everyday next week so Monday Im going to talk to Jason and have the car towed there.

Administrator footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose has a reputation beyond repute footose's Avatar
    My rod actually just bent so there wasn't much damage - but we put a full new motor in because he had one there and it was the fastest way to get back on the road. My car actually still ran, but it sounded like a bag of hammers

ahh, i see. Well if Jason can't fix it, I already found an R32 engine in New York I likes.. But either way (fix it or a new engine) im pretty sure it wont be done for waterfest

Veteran Member AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog has a brilliant future AudiDog's Avatar
    Shitty deal. Was this caused by the mods or is it a separate issue altogether?
    1987 Jetta coupe
    1994 Audi URS4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information