+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mk3 front end conversion to mk2

Moderator CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski's Avatar

mk3 front end conversion to mk2

i am wondering about doing a front end conversion on my mk3 to the mk2 front end. what would be involved in doing this other than obtaining an mk2 front end? and how much would i be lookin at spending?
    Nobody calls Han Solo a Bitch!
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    That would be cool, but I think there is too much costumizing involved.
    ClubTuga ...Just a 1.8T Jetta
    RICE IS:
    -A 'fartcan' aftermarket muffler with coffee can-sized chrome tip.
    -Springs cut to lower the car for no other purpose than appearance
    -"HoNdA r00Lz" or "ZoOm zOOm" decal covering half of rear window

Moderator CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski has a brilliant future CommradePolski's Avatar
    lik you mean the frame and stuff i assume correct?
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

Certified VW/Audi Tech LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga has a brilliant future LuiTuga's Avatar
    I would assume every thing would have to be custom... fenders, hood, rad support, rebar, bumper, radiator and so on.
    RICE IS:

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    Can't say I've EVER seen this done ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

theres a first time for everything kind of like fat people and seeing their feet
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    You'd need to do LOTS of custom work ... if you're gonna try this ... good luck
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Quote Originally Posted by commradepolish View Post
    theres a first time for everything kind of like fat people and seeing their feet
    Or wiener
    RICE IS:

if i try this it wont be for a while im just tryin to do some research first
    www.vwr20.com
    www.generationdub.com
    My Ride

Remember that the fenders and hood are not the same dimentions at all so it'll be like making one fender from two. Good luck with the idea.
    RICE IS:

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    i like the idea...i would go mkii body mkiv front end
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Veteran Member Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb has a reputation beyond repute Neb's Avatar
    there's a guy on vortex who's done this. Looks odd but not in a bad way. I couldn't imagine the amount of work it would take. definately doable though.
    Need design work?
    www.benpurkissdesign.com

Seen that done somewhere on the whortex.

PS I'm too late...
    RICE IS:

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    I dunno... that's combining styles that just werent ment to work together... I mean.. mk1-2 yea, mk3-4 yea.. mk 2-3... erm.. lines just dont look right.... from what I'd imagine anyways.... IMHO..

but it would be unique..
    much like that golf with the rado front end..
    that's hawt
    I mean.. the rado is a mishmash of different eras of vag parts

Veteran Member VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold VWJettaMK2 is a splendid one to behold
    Quote Originally Posted by spettaa View Post
    i like the idea...i would go mkii body mkiv front end
    Its been done..Looked like a Honda..

If you want to do it you can..Look around and see about mk2 fenders fitting onto your car..

Rad support isnt much different because a mk3 rad can fit onto a mk2

Only thing is it will be hard and it will take you at least a few weeks to do it..

You can get pretty much the whole front end from a junk yard for cheap..

Headlights, Grill, Rad support, Bumper, Fenders, Hood and minor pieces for like 300$ TOPS

Its been done..Looked like a Honda..
    I think you just changed his mind

Cool that front end conversion

I have seen it don't before but the amount of work that will have to go into it will be considered depending on which body style you have of the mk3 alot of you don't remember but vw came out with different front end styles which some of the front ends were compatible. .. 2 different years but don't know why the sudden body change in the front end... the 1997 golf gti was the last year of the aero head lights and square grilled front end and the 1998 golf gti was the start of the oddly shaped oval shaped front end... so it does depend on that year your mk3 is and yes alot of parts to get like hood bumper grill lights fenders and so forth but only if you have the 1997 or earlier mk3 now if u have the 1998 and later mk3 I would suggest doing an mk2 front end conversion... i dont know why vw did it this way but it is what it is... oh to whom posted the picture of you trying to do an mk2 front end conversion on a 1998 or later gti or golf yeah that won't work... look at the difference of a 1997 gti or golf and a 1998 gti or golf.... sorry I know it's a late post but I figured I would let everyone whom replied to this post know what I knew I work at hawaii import parts so we have a lot of customers asking about compatibility of parts from different years that
    Thanks for reading
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-15-01-32-48.png
Views:	59
Size:	811.8 KB
ID:	4312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-15-01-32-52.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	4313  

Senior Member xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx is a jewel in the rough xLilJayx's Avatar
    hi.vw.gti this is an 8 year old thread.. hasn't been posted in in 8 years.. check the dates.

anyways - the pictures you posted for reference are not mk2 front ends on mk3s either...
    1998 VW Golf 2.0T ( R.I.P. )
    Dubbin, It's a Life Style

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information