+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No Start, Help!

No Start, Help!

I have a 2.0l aba 8v I just swapped from the 1.8l 8v,
    I have the engine In, And all of the wiring to my knowledge.
    When I turn the key to the on position, there is a humming noise coming from the throttle body.
    I don't know if that is a bad ground, lack of ground, or bad positive connections.
    Also the starter might be hooked up wrong, The starter will not kick on.
    I have a wire coming from the top prong and it will only kick on if I touch that wire to the positive post on the starter.
    thanks, Andy

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    that humming at the throttlebody is fine. Your idle air controller is integrated in the ABA throttlebody on OBD2 (96.5 and up) engines. You may want to consider taking it off by removing the 4 allen socket head bolts and cleaning it with some throttlebody cleaner.

your starter issue seems to be fine, although how is your ignition switch behind the key in the dash?
    If you've got 12v+ from the battery at the 12v+ post on the starter, that's good
    and there should be a black/red wire that has 12v cranking signal from the ignition switch in the dash. If you have both those sorted out, you should be good to go

HTH

BCD

I can start the car by jumping the starter my hand.
    The ignition switch never had a problem before I swapped the motor.
    But I will check that, and also maybe I might swap out the H1 wiring harness.
    It contains, everything for the steering column for the starter basically, plus the windshield wipers, squirters n such.
    http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html
    If any of this seems off to you please let me know. lol
    Thank you!

Scratch what I said about the H1 harness.
    I couldn't find it on my mk3 harness.
    -_-
    Btw, I am alittle new with vdubs

Moderator wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons has a reputation beyond repute wparsons's Avatar
    It sounds like you're not getting the crank signal to the starter, you'll have to trace it from the ignition switch through the fuse block and out to the starter to see where the disconnect is.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
    flickr

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information