+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY: Serpentine Belt Replacement 2.0 / 1.8T (MKIV)

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute

DIY: Serpentine Belt Replacement 2.0 / 1.8T (MKIV)

This guide shows how to replace your old worn and cracked serpentine belt on your 2.0L or 1.8T motor.

Note – This guide was done on a 2.0L Golf, but the install on a 1.8T is performed the same way.

Things you’ll need are:

- Replacement Serpentine Belt (Volkswagen P/N: 06A-260-849-C, part number should be identical for 1.8T, but confirm with parts department before purchasing)
    - 16mm Wrench
    - Beer

1. Honestly, this job is so damn easy on a 2.0L that you should start with a beer. Heineken was the beer of choice that day.

2. After a swig or three, take a look at how the belt is routed. Your serpentine belt is located on the left side of the engine when looking from the front of the car. The new belt will go on in the exact same way it is removed.

3. Take your 16mm wrench and place it on the tensioner as shown. Pull the wrench towards the front of the car.

4. The picture below shows the tensioner in the “loose” position (for lack of better words). Notice the slack in the belt.

5. Time to pull off the belt. Grab it from the top and pull to the left. Once it’s off the tensioner you should be able to pull the entire belt off all the pulleys.

6. This picture just shows how the belt comes off the pulleys. As mentioned in step 2, the new belt goes on exactly as the old one comes off.

7. Lower the belt and loop it onto the lower pulleys. Put the 16mm wrench back on the tensioner and pull towards you. Push the top of the belt back onto the tensioner and release it.

8. You’re done!

Note - As with any Do It Yourself guide, proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your car attempting this install.

Special Thanks go to:

- rictuga for providing the car for this guide, as well as for doing all the BBQ’n
    - sootbomb for doing the belt replacement
    - Giver for providing Sally and company the garage to do the work in, as well as the BBQ
    Last edited by mosh; 11-15-2006 at 01:02 AM.

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    closed for cleanliness
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

New Member tulsa is on a distinguished road
    Please help, I know its an old post, but at least i searched insted of starting a new thread, This is helpful, but the belt flew off, and i need a diagram, i can find it anywhere.

Veteran Member spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa will become famous soon enough spettaa's Avatar
    closet i could find. you can see the ribs on the belt follow them and you shoul dbe able to determine the routing of the belt...its the lower belt@!!
    Dubbers are like addicts....we go to weekly meetings
    vwarmy
    Nothing runs like a Deere

Veteran Member Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops has a reputation beyond repute Chops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by footose View Post
    The new belt flew off?
    "The front fell off...."

never mind, random useless post.

Veteran Member mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh has a reputation beyond repute mosh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    "The front fell off...."

never mind, random useless post.
    asdfoiahwefoiasdfoigawefoiasdf

Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    December 21, 2012, with any luck the world will end, that means no xmas shopping that year, and if the world doesn't end, my family is gunna be pissed cuz they ain't gettin no gifts!

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spettaa View Post
    able to determine the routing of the belt...its the lower belt@!!
    indeed, good image.... but I think it's a little off....
    but IIRC it's

over/on top of the alternator
    behind/ around back of AC compressor
    over/on top of the power steering pump
    around crank and back up to alternator.

I'll look later tonight...

Junior Member 2VWs is a glorious beacon of light 2VWs is a glorious beacon of light 2VWs is a glorious beacon of light 2VWs is a glorious beacon of light 2VWs is a glorious beacon of light
    Last edited by 2VWs; 07-27-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: image wasn't there....
    2000 2.0 Jetta
    2001 2.0 Beetle

looking for the diagram

Veteran Member Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute Raz has a reputation beyond repute
    This is the best picture I could find the show how the best is router. Put the wrench on that square tab and pull towards the front of the car to give the belt slack. Pull the old one off and loop the new one around the back and bottom pulleys.

Good luck

Veteran Member BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber is a splendid one to behold BellCityDubber's Avatar
    just a little tidbit of crucial info....

The tensioner.... on the top 2 of the 3 bolts that hold it on... there's a bracket that's supposed to go BEHIND the tensioner!!! if you place the bracket on between the tensioner and the bolts that hold it in place, the tensioner wont have the proper alignment and will throw belts, the bracket is to be used as a spacer to keep tensioner ilder wheel alignment.

(figured this out 6 months after doing my timing belt, and going thru 2 serp belts in the middle of winter... LFMF)

thanks

New Member BCMike is on a distinguished road
    Noob posting. Hi all! Glad to find the simple pic of the belt routing since my popped heading down the hwy the other day. Replacement is first thing tomorrow morn.

Raz, Thanks for the advice on replacing belt. Awesome pics. Thanks again.

Serpentine Belt Replacement 2.0 / 1.8T (MKIV)

Did mine this AM. Took 3 minutes, not even enough time for 3 swigs of beer.
    Dayco belt-$22 Advance Auto. Cheap enough.

belt squeal when AC on!

Raz, thank you for the diy. My 2008 Jetta GLI (129k mi) was squealing like crazy when I would turn on the AC and accelerate from 1st gear.

This was a lifesaver, very straight forward and easy to replace. $18 belt at my local euro auto parts store (Continental tire brand)

Are the instructions above identical for a 2011 Tiguan? The dealership suggested replacing it for $175, but it looks like a manageable DIY. TIA!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information